What Happens When You Die?  

1. 1. What Happens When You Die?

• Heaven-100% Assurance of Salvation
    • Heaven- Pretty Sure...
    • Reincarnated
    • Dead...Gone...The End...
    • I have no idea...

This. Absolutely!

I think people are naturally selfish. (Selfish is not a dirty word... if we don't serve self, we have nothing left to serve anyone else. And if you're serving because of an expectation of reward later, or because you think it will please your god, that's still selfish.) It serves us well to be kind and good to those around us, because that is what we receive in return. I think that humans realized this just fine on their own, and then somewhere along the way fear set in about all those people over there who weren't following the rules, so man created religion to help police something that is naturally at the core of every human being.

I don't think I thought much before about people doing/being 'good' because they expect to be rewarded for it later. To tell you the truth, I find that thought sort of scary! It also explains why a lot of people don't behave in what I would consider a responsible way in this lifetime.

Oh, I'm not an athiest (Pagan pantheist here; I believe the purpose of life is joy and love and the experience of living, and after we're done we go back to spirit), but my husband is. I voted for him: dead, gone, the end. And he's one of the most moral men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

:iagree: I used to have a co-worker who told me repeatedly that I am 'more Christian than most Christians" she knew. I finally told her, as nicely as I could, that "that is not really as complimentary as you may think". :001_huh: We had a nice long talk about it. I think she finally got it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you don't mind me asking, but you have me really curious. How does all of this mesh (or not) with any belief in god(s)? I truly mean no disrespect, only curiosity to understand this perspective.

I actually kind of agree with her beliefs. I'm more of an agnostic and interested in different pantheons of, say, the Celts and Egyptians. But I do not believe in a "god". Maybe part of a greater power that we are all part of-good and bad, both. Much like Buddhist thought on karma and reincarnation, though. Not like "heaven".

My dh believes we're dead and gone.

I used to have a co-worker who told me repeatedly that I am 'more Christian than most Christians" she knew. .

I've gotten that, but since I've lived through so many horrible, stressful work situations, I wouldn't take umbrage. Now lying and stealing and threatening to shiv me, those I'd take umbrage to.

I still laugh when I think of how, when first meeting my husband, who'd just left a fundamentalist church he'd been a member of since he was a fetus, he said, one day, that it was amazing the good choices my family had made and "all without the Bible". :lol:

With the whole god thing- most people here are atheists in regards to: Thor, Zues, Athena, Pluto, etc. If there is an afterlife where you'll be punished for not believing in/worshiping the right god, how do you know you have chosen the right god to worship?
I didn't see that anyone else had posted this, but I'm reminded of

, by Rowan Atkinson

There is nothing "supernatural" in my life. But I experience the magic of love, beauty, kindness and fellowship on a daily basis. That's enough for me. :)
This. :001_smile:

Besides, Christianity doesn't say be a good person and you'll go to heaven. It says believe in Jesus and you'll go to heaven. There are plenty of people on death row who will "go to heaven". They are not nice people.

I used to have early Sunday afternoon rounds on a hospital floor with a lot of LOLs (little old ladies) with pneumonia and such. How often did I hear the pastors visiting from their churches bellowing away for those HOH (hard of hearing) dears. On one side of the hall "blah blah blah -- and SO FEW ARE SAVED" fire and brimstone, and on the other the swelling inspiration of "ALL YOU NEED IS FAITH, and ALL will be SAVED". I sometimes wondered what they thought of each other.

I am reminded, more cheerfully, of "Pope John XXIII getting a courtesy visit from the Anglican bishop of Gibraltar, whose see covers the whole Mediterranean region. Stepping forward to greet his guest, the pope cried heartily, "Ah, good day, Bishop. I believe I'm in your diocese?"

(quoting the Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes by Clifton Fadiman ... good late night reading, BTW)

I am posting without reading all the replies because I want to tell my story without any influence from others.

I answered, "I don't know." I believe in God but I used to be an atheist. Then I died, as in dead. No Pulse, no respiration, almost no blood left. I was gone and there was nothing. No awareness, just nothing and then I was back. In my body again and I was the same me. I wasn't a different person. I am same person now that I have always been. That's when I started believing in God, because I could no longer sustain a believe that there was nothing at all after we die. If that was the case, then how did I end up alive again after I died? I had to be somewhere in order to come back here. So I believe that when you die, you have to go somewhere. This experience is by definition supernatural. Now, I suppose that all of this could happen without a God but I feel deep in my heart that there is a God. It is the only explanation that makes sense to me in light of my experience.

Regarding the whole moral question, I don't believe that I get my morals from God other than the fact that they are an inherent part of who I am. I believe that a moral compass is part of our make up. We are born with it. We don't need to learn it or be taught it or to receive it from some higher authority. I believe that humans are inherently moral. Yes, some people do bad things. Some Christians (who supposedly get their morals from God) do bad things as do some atheist (who believe that their morals come from within). It is our human nature to have morals and to make mistakes. Now, granted atheists don't have a list of sins to tell them what is wrong nor do they usually believe in sin so they may believe less things are wrong but in general, I believe those are things that are not really of consequence. For instance, I don't believe drinking is inherently bad and if I didn't have a rule that told me not to do it I would not believe I should not. Murder on the other hand, is inherently wrong and I don't think anyone needs a rule to tell them that.

As far as doing good, I also believe that humans do it because it feels good in and of itself. There does not need to be any other reward. I do believe in karma in this life and possibly after death to a certain extent but I kind of look at it as a bonus not a primary motivation. For the most part, I believe that life plays out as it does independent of any guiding force. There is not a surpreme being intervening in human affairs rewarding good people and punishing bad one (at least in this life). Good things happen to all people as do bad things. Such is the nature of life. However, I do believe in the power of the human spirit and that there is a supernatural force that can be tapped into to guide human affairs. I call this force God. I believe that positive thoughts, prayers, wishes can effect humans if for no other reason than knowing that positive thoughts give your the strength to handle your burdens. After, that my thoughts, feelings and beliefs get murky in the fact that I don't have human words to explain them. They are beyond description, perhaps like asking a blind person to describe what something looks like.

That the best that I can do to explain how I feel, what I believe and how I came to these beliefs. I know that I do not know everything and that my human perception is faulty and that I could be wrong, therefore I do not know the answers to the big questions. :001_smile:

I am not an atheist and I am not speculating, either. I have seen both atheists and Christians use their beliefs, or lack of belief, to justify doing things that are wrong or immoral.

It seems obvious to me that "self"ishnes works two ways, for the right or for the wrong. The choice lies with the individual. Maybe making that conscious choice for good, no matter who we are, is our "salvation," at least in this life.

The next life? I don't think anyone knows really what that might mean, not even Christians.

I'm off to order Peter Enns book that SWB reviewed. I am so happy that these threads have been happening, even if others aren't. It has given me an opportunity to learn that there are people out there (like SWB and Enns) who have studied hard and have come to conclusions that I have only begun to flesh out in my mind. I feel as though I am being set free from old religious chains that had become unbearable.

Why is it so important to those who live within a religious framework how those who don't live in the same framework think? Why is it so important to put people into little categories that fit one worldview? Why do you care where I go when I die, or where I think I go?

To me, these are deeply personal questions and even those who live under a particular religious/theological/worldview umbrella do not answer in a uniform way.

It just doesn't seem worthwhile to ponder.

If so, if there is no promise of 'reward' in an after-life, why conduct yourself morally? or do you? I mean obviously you don't want to spend this life in jail, etc... but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Im not even an athiest, but I found this offensive. The notion that a person would HAVE to have a reward to have morals... people cant be a good unless there is a heavenly reward? Thats sad. Perhaps what it is too is that some people cant be good unless they are afraid of going to hell. Which is sad as well. What ever happened to doing to others as you would have done to you? I dont know, I just find the idea that athiests dont have morals because they dont believe in a heavenly reward is preposterous.

I'm off to order Peter Enns book that SWB reviewed. I am so happy that these threads have been happening, even if others aren't. It has given me an opportunity to learn that there are people out there (like SWB and Enns) who have studied hard and have come to conclusions that I have only begun to flesh out in my mind. I feel as though I am being set free from old religious chains that had become unbearable.

This just made my day. Thanks for sharing. Wherever you end up, free is good.

Why is it so important to those who live within a religious framework how those who don't live in the same framework think? Why is it so important to put people into little categories that fit one worldview? Why do you care where I go when I die, or where I think I go?

To me, these are deeply personal questions and even those who live under a particular religious/theological/worldview umbrella do not answer in a uniform way.

You don't? You don't think it comes in handy to have a reasonable idea on what the rest of the species is doing and why? I do. I have to deal with these strange beasties every day! (Strange beasties being an entirely affectionate term, most of the time. ) They get offended over all sorts of strange things. Life is more comfortable if you can avoid offending people. Most people don't like feeling offended, and most people don't like the aftermath if they have offended someone.

For example, in this thread "why behave morally?" has somehow come to equal "you haven't got any morals." I'm seeing a question of motivation being interpreted as a judgmental statement. What I haven't noticed is anyone translating the question into a more polite format. That doesn't mean someone hasn't, but if they have I've missed it. It should be done, if it hasn't been. Not by me though, I'm not polite enough. :P

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

For some, it may help them to understand friends and/or family members who are Atheists (for instance) - or even just 'other people' in the world around them…or perhaps they themselves are questioning what they believe and it may help them to hear from those are on the "other" side of things…there's lots of reasons that people wonder about the beliefs of others.

You don't? You don't think it comes in handy to have a reasonable idea on what the rest of the species is doing and why? I do. I have to deal with these strange beasties every day! (Strange beasties being an entirely affectionate term, most of the time. ) They get offended over all sorts of strange things. Life is more comfortable if you can avoid offending people. Most people don't like feeling offended, and most people don't like the aftermath if they have offended someone.

For example, in this thread "why behave morally?" has somehow come to equal "you haven't got any morals." I'm seeing a question of motivation being interpreted as a judgmental statement. What I haven't noticed is anyone translating the question into a more polite format. That doesn't mean someone hasn't, but if they have I've missed it. It should be done, if it hasn't been. Not by me though, I'm not polite enough. :P

Rosie

thank you.

What do atheists believe happen when you die? Body putrefies and decomposes.

Is this life the be-all, end-all? Cannot say with certainty, but lack of evidence otherwise leads me to tentative conclusion that it is the be-all end-all.

If so, if there is no promise of 'reward' in an after-life, why conduct yourself morally? or do you? I mean obviously you don't want to spend this life in jail, etc... but hopefully you understand what I mean. I assume you would behave as ethically as you do now if you suddenly lost your religious faith. If you did not believe that there is a future system of rewards and punishments, how would YOU behave differently? People who conduct themselves in a compassionate and socially acceptable manner do so because it feels right to them. Those who believe in gods may offer a different explanation for their conduct than those who do not. Religion probably has little to do with morality.

I suppose I misinterpreted the question... as someone who has been agnostic, then Christian, then Atheist, I have a hard time with people questioning my beliefs.

I find that many of the Christians in my southern, Bible belt environment ask only as a doorway to proselytize. It doesn't feel like curiosity, and opening the door to honest dialogue. It feels preachy. Kind of like, "Why don't you clean house more often" or "what do you think will happen to your children if you raise them [insert parenting method] that way?" Both can be honest questions for the purpose of opening one's mind and finding a better path, or they can be very judgmental questions which presuppose an answer or a script. So, particularly when a question is framed within the context of a very particular world view, and asked about another, very different, world view, I grow suspicious.

I do like to hear how different people do things, Rosie. I do enjoy learning about different ways of handling life and all it brings. I enjoy learning how people tick. That's why I got a doctorate in Psychology, after all. I guess I have just become set enough in my own beliefs not to enjoy being questioned by those with an ulterior motive, and confident enough in my own beliefs not to care (as much) why others believe as they do.