Menu

do me a favor...

Go to your local library website. See if they list the information that you need to get a library card. We are moving next week and the local library doesn't tell you what you need for a card. I have lived all over and have never run into this, they all seem to tell you what you need. I am kinda bummed because I really hate calling places for this type of info :glare:

Our library has a very unattractive, confusing site. It took a while but I eventually did find info on obtaining a card.

eta: LOL! Duh, you wanted the information! I just assumed you were wondering if other libraries provided the info online or if your new library was the only one that didn't...oops!

two ids with the new address and one must be a photo id

kids can have cards at any age but under 18 must be signed by a parent

Edited by happi duck

For our county, you need to show proof of residency (by showing your local address; no PO box addresses accepted as proof). There are numerous things they accept as proof of residency: your driver's license, your voter id card, utility bill mailed to you w/in the last 60 days, rental receipt or proof of payment for last 60 days, personalized check, etc....

To apply for your Wake County Public Library card, you must do one of the following:

* Present a photo ID with your current Wake County address

* Present a photo ID and an item that verifies the current Wake County address (bill, lease, checkbook, etc.)

* Present parent/guardian photo ID with verification of the current Wake County address.

Please note that:

* Any child under 13 needs a parent or guardian to sign for a card.

* Wake County residents are issued cards free of charge.

* Non-residents may obtain a card to check out materials for an annual fee of $25 or may obtain a card for computer use only free of charge.

* The replacement charge for lost cards is $1.

Not hard to find at all on our site. Under "How do I?" and then "Library card and PIN"

We needed something proving we lived here- for us it was just a piece of mail from anyone that had gone through the mail to the address we live at now.

We moved from overseas and had very little to prove we lived here. It was no problem though- which was a good thing- cause our licenses are all out-of-state, our car is tagged out-of-state, our everything is not from here...

Anyway, my daughter's card from her grandma proved we are residents enough for the local Florida library! :)

Kimberly

A current picture ID (drivers license, bus pass, state issued, work issued, school issued, etc) and proof of residency.

If you don't have a picture id of boy kind, they allow you to bring in a piece of important mail with address but it must have been sent within one month.

Children younger than 17 must have their parents sign them up using their picture id and proof of residence.

Ours has a "how do I get a card" link on the main page. Clicking through, it says: "There is no charge for a Library card to citizens who live within the the area of the --- Public School District.. To get a card, simply come by the Library with proof of your current address and the name, address, and telephone number of a contact person. Examples of proof of residence can be a Michigan Drivers License, lease agreement, checks from a local bank, utility bills, etc. Children under the age of 18 need the signature of their parents or legal guardian on their registration cards. Out of area visitors are always welcome and can use the materials in the library without a card.

Persons living outside the official service area may purchase a family card for $20 per year. Charge of this non-resident fee is an attempt to share fairly the burden of the Library's operating costs."

Yup, under About Us/FAQ

Though if I were being picky, I'd note that all it explains is the requirements to *qualify* for a card. To actually get one, all it says is to go to a branch and fill out the registration form. It's left up to the reader to deduce that since the qualification requirements revolve around living/working in the area, they're probably going to want proof of that.

There is a link on the library homepage.

The first paragraph on the get a library card page states,

"You need to be a resident of Ohio to get a xxx Public Library card. To obtain a card, you will be asked to furnish identification showing a current home address. Parents must be present to sign the application for a youth under 18 years of age."

There is also a link to pre-register online.