Menu

S/O Christian poll: converting to Islam from Christianity?

A few people in the turning from Christianity poll commented how when they discovered Islam, they realized that that was what they were, they just didn't have a name for it. This has me curious! What was it about Christianity that didn't sit right for you and what was it about Islam that clicked? I don't know a whole lot about Islam so I am interested in learning more. Please share!

Your question is a fair one, and I can understand how the Muslim replies on the other thread might make one curious. Now, I really, really dislike religious debates, so I'm not going to argue about this. :D So, not speaking for any of the other Muslims, and with total respect for those who hold Christian beliefs, here are my answers:

What was it about Christianity that didn't sit right for you...

The Trinity--for me, this is too close to polytheism for comfort (and I do understand that Christians are not polytheists). The idea that God could only forgive sins by shedding His own/His son's blood. The idea that God would walk the earth in human form.

...and what was it about Islam that clicked?

God is One. All religions are from the same Source--every people throughout human history has had messengers inspired by God to remind them of what is right. Anyone (not just Muslims) who desires to please God and tries to do what is right will have their reward. Every sin is ultimately a sin against oneself--it takes us farther from God. Asking forgiveness and trying to do better brings us closer to God. This is the process of spiritual growth that, God willing, leads to paradise (reunion with God).

All of these things I believed before I found them in the Quran.

Interestingly, it was not disgust with the sins of people that led me away from Christianity--I don't think Christians are worse or better on average than Muslims, or atheists, or anyone else. For me it's all about the teachings. :)

Your question is a fair one, and I can understand how the Muslim replies on the other thread might make one curious. Now, I really, really dislike religious debates, so I'm not going to argue about this. :D So, not speaking for any of the other Muslims, and with total respect for those who hold Christian beliefs, here are my answers:

I'm not interested in debate either because I really am just looking for information. But you know this board...:001_smile:. Thank you for responding!

God is One. All religions are from the same Source--every people throughout human history has had messengers inspired by God to remind them of what is right. Anyone (not just Muslims) who desires to please God and tries to do what is right will have their reward. Every sin is ultimately a sin against oneself--it takes us farther from God. Asking forgiveness and trying to do better brings us closer to God. This is the process of spiritual growth that, God willing, leads to paradise (reunion with God).

Does Islam really regard "all religions" this way???? Judaism does NOT regard religions that involve idol worship this way at all. I was just wondering.

Everything else you say is also very Jewish. Judaism and Islam have WAY more in common than Judaism and Christianity!!

Another question - I had also always thought that, like Christians, Muslims think that their religion is the ONLY true religion, and that everyone should be Muslim. Jews do not believe this. Judaism is for the Jews.

Is this true??? I'm curious.

With all respect!

Does Islam really regard "all religions" this way???? Judaism does NOT regard religions that involve idol worship this way at all. I was just wondering.

Everything else you say is also very Jewish. Judaism and Islam have WAY more in common than Judaism and Christianity!!

Another question - I had also always thought that, like Christians, Muslims think that their religion is the ONLY true religion, and that everyone should be Muslim. Jews do not believe this. Judaism is for the Jews.

Is this true??? I'm curious.

With all respect!

Yes, we believe that all religions are from God. Differences come in in various ways--different laws may have been appropriate for different times and places, or sacred texts and practices may have been altered over time, and thus differ from the original form.

We believe that the teachings of Muhammad (peace be upon him) are God's final prophetic revelation to mankind, that he is the last in the long line of prophets. This revelation is addressed to all mankind, not just to one people. So in that sense, yes, we believe that Islam is the "truest" (if you will) religion. But we don't believe that only followers of Muhammad go to heaven.

:)

ETA: Agreeing with you on idol worship--that would be something we consider to have entered a people's practices after the initial revelation from God to that people, whenever that may have occurred, if that makes sense. :)

HTH,

As Muslims, then we believe thousands of messengers were sent down to Mankind. Thus we find in history many resemblances to formal religion and the belief in One Greater Being/Spirit/God/Source.

As a kid, then I used to lay in the back of the moving car and look at the sunset and dream of the Great Spirit of the Native Indians (back in Denmark where I grew up as Christian as most there). I many times wanted to pray the Christian way as a child, but always ended up just addressing One God and making it a personal prayer. When I as a young teen looked into religion -after having denounced being an atheist for two weeks- then I did not consider Christianity (mainly due the priesthood) nor Judaism (being non-inclusive). As I learned more about Islam, then I always felt it made sense or that this was the way it was supposed to be.

Yes, Islam and Judaism are pretty close. Jews and Muslims often support eachother's causes when living in a secular society which makes sense.

Unlike some paradigms, then I am not guaranteed eternal Paradise just for saying Shahadah. There are varying degrees and might have to go to Hell for some minor offenses if I did not repent etc. Thus Muslims must be humble and keep on striving.

This revelation is addressed to all mankind, not just to one people. So in that sense, yes, we believe that Islam is the "truest" (if you will) religion. But we don't believe that only followers of Muhammad go to heaven.

:)

ETA: Agreeing with you on idol worship--that would be something we consider to have entered a people's practices after the initial revelation from God to that people, whenever that may have occurred, if that makes sense. :)HTH,

Thank you for clarifying! Jews also believe that a righteous person, no matter the religion, will go to heaven.

When I as a young teen looked into religion -after having denounced being an atheist for two weeks- then I did not consider Christianity (mainly due the priesthood) nor Judaism (being non-inclusive). As I learned more about Islam, then I always felt it made sense or that this was the way it was supposed to be.

Why do you say Judaism is "non-inclusive"? Many, many have converted to Judaism. Non-Jews with a sincere interest in Judaism (i.e. NOT Jews for J.C.) are welcome to worship at any synagogue. It is very difficult to convert, requiring a great deal of study beforehand. That is because taking on the torah means you unequivocally take on the 613 commandments that are given in the torah. We call this the "yoke of torah." It is not easy to keep these commandments. Therefore, if conversions were done in a more casual way, you would only be creating more Jews that do not keep the torah. It is better to be a righteous gentile (also known as a Noahide, who only has to keep 7 commandments), then to convert and not keep the laws.

I'm just curious about your perceptions.

And thank you all so much! I love this board. It's really the only online place where we can have (mostly) civilized conversations about religion! :)

Just to say

Islam, Judaism, & Christianity in the PUREST sense are compatible. They are Abrahamic/ Ibrahamic (?) faiths.

IMO they have all been misinterpreted on many levels. And are often misunderstood by the others.

Also, often within the religion itself, there are different applications.

Christianity today is very different from the small fellowships of Jewish believers/ disciples who saw Y'eshua as the Way.

There are more examples of the similarities but don't have time right now to delve into it.

(and folks may or may not agree so... do I really want to devote the time and energy?)

The "Great Spirit" of the native Americans is also a very Jewish idea, so I understand your affinity. I felt that way too as a child. In fact, some people believe that the Cherokees are descended from one of the lost tribes of Israel. DNA and linguistic evidence show this to be quite possible!

Do you happen to have any links about this?

As an LDS person, I would be *very* interested in reading it. :D

(we believe The Book of Mormon was written by decendents of Ephriam and Mannassa who came to the American continent in the year 600BC)

Curious here :D! No snark at all!!! How do they say the other is completely erroneous it their fundamental belifes?

At the most fundamental level, Jews say it is heresy to say that J.C. was who the Christians claim he was, and the Christians say that the only way to heaven is through J.C. Speaking in generalities, of course.

For me I always like to look upon Judaism, Christianity and Islam as if on a timeline. Judaism came first, and with it many, many of the Prohets and Messengers. I would actually calls those Jews 'Muslims' in that they 'submitted to God' (the linguistic meaning of the word).

Next come the Christians, the people who followed the Messiah (yes, Muslims call Jesus this too). Those people who truely followed Jesus (upon him be peace)then I would also call them 'Muslims'.

But it also causes a big split! Many Jews did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and continued to wait until this day (current Judaism). Many of the followers of Jesus began to say things about him which I do not believe (current Chritianity).

If you wait another few hundred years in history then you come to the last in a long line of Prohets; Muhammad (may God's peace and blessing be upon him). Neither the Christians nor the Jews accept him as a Messenger of God (the sameas Abraham, Moses, Noah etc etc),but if you do then you are today's Muslim.

I hope that this shows how I came to believe in Islam. I always believed in God. I always believed in the Prophets and Messengers. When I found Islam, it felt like I had found the perfection of all that I already believed in.

Just as an aside, I hope this is not offensive to anybody. I hope that this information goes some way to showing how highly the Jews and Christians are thought of - the Quran calls them 'The Peopleof the Book'. I also know that I have made many generalisations for the sake of simplicity!

Why do you say Judaism is "non-inclusive"? Many, many have converted to Judaism. Non-Jews with a sincere interest in Judaism (i.e. NOT Jews for J.C.) are welcome to worship at any synagogue. It is very difficult to convert, requiring a great deal of study beforehand. That is because taking on the torah means you unequivocally take on the 613 commandments that are given in the torah. We call this the "yoke of torah." It is not easy to keep these commandments. Therefore, if conversions were done in a more casual way, you would only be creating more Jews that do not keep the torah. It is better to be a righteous gentile (also known as a Noahide, who only has to keep 7 commandments), then to convert and not keep the laws.

I'm just curious about your perceptions.

And thank you all so much! I love this board. It's really the only online place where we can have (mostly) civilized conversations about religion! :)

It was my understanding that Jews were considered to be "The Chosen People" plus as you mentioned a Rabbi has to acknowledge your conversion. We just don't have those steps in Islam which I found attractive.

(we believe The Book of Mormon was written by decendents of Ephriam and Mannassa who came to the American continent in the year 600BC)

As Muslims, then yes, thousands and thousands of messengers were sent down to peoples and civilizations way before us, so this all makes sense. That was why as a teen atheist (for two weeks!) I just could not accept that humans throughout history were believing in something that wasn't. This was my turning point to conclude God exists.

Can someone look up on google "Sikhism".

Its the most modern religion, only 500 yrs old,which seems to have all good points..its very close to ISlam faith, with key facts like equal rights/respect for women...is opposed to the concept of forced conversions and strongly believes in the fatherhood of an omnipresent, omnipotent and all pervasive God and brotherhood of man..

Three fundamentals:

1. Work honestly

2. Meditate

3. share with needy

Lets discover another horizon:lurk5:

Its the most modern religion, only 500 yrs old

I think the Baha'i faith is even younger - maybe 150 years? Baha'is believe that God's message is being progressively revealed through a line of prophets beginning with Abraham, and including Krishna, Moses, Zoroaster, Buddha, Christ, and Muhammad. They believe the most recent prophet was Baha'u'llah. The main message of the Baha'i faith is Unity, and they believe that all the world's religions represent stages in God's will and purpose for mankind.

This is a very, very interesting thread - I appreciate all the different views and the respect being shownby everyone! :)

It was my understanding that Jews were considered to be "The Chosen People" plus as you mentioned a Rabbi has to acknowledge your conversion. We just don't have those steps in Islam which I found attractive.

"Chosen People" usually refers to the fact that G-d chose us to receive the torah, and we chose him (after many other nations had been offered the torah and rejected it).

Here's a funny fact... there are twice as many Sikhs as Jews in the world, 52x as many Muslims, and 1,615x as many Christians. I think most people don't realize how few Jews there really are in the world. :)

Its the most modern religion, only 500 yrs old,which seems to have all good points..

Here's a funny fact... there are twice as many Sikhs as Jews in the world, 52x as many Muslims, and 1,615x as many Christians. I think most people don't realize how few Jews there really are in the world. :)

Cough, cough, we do realise that!! I am saying this because I always teach my kids to stand up and be proud of whom they are and request their rights and be as vocal in society (and good citizens) as our Jewish friends. A good example indeed.

BTW, as a Muslim then Bahai is very misguided even though its origins are Islam.

Meant to say Foundational

not fundamental

if we can agree that there is good and evil... (Can we do this?)

would not the one place that this "battle" continually play out (and there be casualities on every side) be in the area of religion?

What consititutes holinesses/ righteousness? not to be confused with saying through which acts can one gain/ acheive... "whatever" (holiness/ forgivenes/ salvation/ reward)

The desire for those things can ALWAYS be exploited because people would continually be motivated by something other than that which leads to peace or love or goodness.

Does destroying a life lead to life? Does it lead to more destruction?

What one does in the name of a religion is not one's faith. It can be a good or a poor reflection of it.

Its the most modern religion, only 500 yrs old

I guess it depends what you count as a religion, as movements like Scientology and followers of Rev Moon seem newer to me, and then there is LDS, whose main prophet is from the 19th century, and also, as mentioned, Baha'i.

Regarding the idea of exclusion, I think there are some religions that are primarily found within members of one nationality / ethnic group, or found primarily within one geographic area, such as Hinduism and Judaism, and others that are more geographically or ethnically diverse. I think there is a sense for some people that to "become" Jewish is somehow like a white person declaring himself now black. Whether that is true or not is another matter. There are also a huge number of people who call themselves Jewish (because of blood, not religious observance), because they identify with the culture, the food, and so on, but have no interest in the faith. I know a lot of people like this, myself. So to declare yourself a member of an ethnic group seems weird, less so than purely converting to a religion. But then there are Muslims who are advised to start changing their cultural practices and eating habits (I don't mean dropping pork, I mean, styles of eating and specific dishes), too, so it's not unique to Judaism.

I think there are some religions that are primarily found within members of one nationality / ethnic group, or found primarily within one geographic area, such as Hinduism and Judaism, and others that are more geographically or ethnically diverse. I think there is a sense for some people that to "become" Jewish is somehow like a white person declaring himself now black. Whether that is true or not is another matter. There are also a huge number of people who call themselves Jewish (because of blood, not religious observance), because they identify with the culture, the food, and so on, but have no interest in the faith. I know a lot of people like this, myself. So to declare yourself a member of an ethnic group seems weird, less so than purely converting to a religion. But then there are Muslims who are advised to start changing their cultural practices and eating habits (I don't mean dropping pork, I mean, styles of eating and specific dishes), too, so it's not unique to Judaism.

But Jews are very geographically diverse. We are spread throughout the entire world. Granted, there are larger concentrations of Jews in Israel, the U.S., South Africa, England, and France, but we are in many, many other countries too.

Do people really take on Jewish culture and call themselves Jewish who weren't before?? I just haven't really heard of this. Maybe non-Jews marrying Jews and then taking on the culture. Kind of like a non-Greek marrying a Greek and taking on the culture I guess.

Jews are not a single race, although most people's image of a Jew might be of a typical white male Jew. Jews come in all colors (our own family is an example of that!!!!). At our synagogue it is far from being all-white. And sephardic synagogues are DEFINITELY not all-white.

And what do you mean that Jews (or Muslims) are advised to start eating in a certain style and specific dishes? I personally don't like most of the typical askenazic dishes - kugel, cholent, etc. While we must keep kosher, that can mean eating anything from sushi to enchiladas to harira.

But Jews are very geographically diverse. We are spread throughout the entire world.

Yes, but they are almost all descendants of the same basic peoples. There are not many people of Chinese, Indian, African (aside from Ethiopian) Jews, right? There are Sephardic and Ashkenazic differences, but in terms of international diversity, it's not so much as, say, Christians and Muslims. Even Buddhists, who are a bit diverse, are mostly Asian.

Do people really take on Jewish culture and call themselves Jewish who weren't before?? I just haven't really heard of this.

I meant more, people born into a Jewish family who love the culture but don't concern themselves with the religion. They consider themselves Jews. Ethnically but not religiously.

And what do you mean that Jews (or Muslims) are advised to start eating in a certain style and specific dishes? I personally don't like most of the typical askenazic dishes - kugel, cholent, etc. While we must keep kosher, that can mean eating anything from sushi to enchiladas to harira.

Some people incorrectly suggest that one must eat various rice and meat dishes, from communal plates on the ground, with the hands, say, to be properly Muslim.

I appreciate Jews, they are in minority, but still they have made their mark.. Sikhs may be twice their number, but tsill they remain a minority and 3/4 of the world doesnt know if this religion exists somewhere..:glare:

I feel all religions ar egood, they are just different roads to One GOD, respect all religions,some call him Allah, some call him Jesus, some call him Ram/Krishna.. but he still remains One and only One.Thats what we have been taught in our religion.:001_smile:

The "Great Spirit" of the native Americans is also a very Jewish idea, so I understand your affinity. I felt that way too as a child. In fact, some people believe that the Cherokees are descended from one of the lost tribes of Israel. DNA and linguistic evidence show this to be quite possible!

Me too! Please do post links if you have any. :)

As Muslims, then yes, thousands and thousands of messengers were sent down to peoples and civilizations way before us, so this all makes sense. That was why as a teen atheist (for two weeks!) I just could not accept that humans throughout history were believing in something that wasn't. This was my turning point to conclude God exists.

That reminds me of this verse from the Book of Mormon:

Alma 29:8 For behold, the Lord doth agrant unto ball nations, of their own nation and ctongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he dseeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

Yes, but they are almost all descendants of the same basic peoples. There are not many people of Chinese, Indian, African (aside from Ethiopian) Jews, right? There are Sephardic and Ashkenazic differences, but in terms of international diversity, it's not so much as, say, Christians and Muslims. Even Buddhists, who are a bit diverse, are mostly Asian.

2,000 years ago, I would have said, yes, the Jews are a single ethnic group. But since we have been spread among the nations for nearly that long, I would really have to say that no, we are not of a single ethnic group. There are Jewish communities in many places, where the people are not white... all of Sephardic Jewry, for example, where the people's appearance is much more Arab; there is a Chinese community (for hundreds of years where the people appear Chinese); there have been Jewish communities in India for 2,500 years, and they also have an Indian appearance. The list goes on - Uganda (a large group of African subsistence farmers that began practicing Judaism 100 years ago), ditto in Ghana, Ethiopia (most now live in Israel), many post WWII communities in South and Central America... There are Jewish communities in at least 108 countries of the world, with many different "ethnicities." So, while the majority of Jews *are* white Ashkenazi Jews (around 80%), we are also made up of many different peoples. (A friend just told me about this, and I looked it up to confirm - in the 11th century only 3% of the Jews were Ashkenazi!)

A little off-topic, but suffice it to say that there has historically been quite a lot of diversity among the Jews.