Menu

Hats for men?

I have noticed at several stores they are selling guys hats (fedoras perhaps?).

The guy on White Collar wears one often.

And Bruno Mars wears one...at least in this video:

So, is this the style now? I feel conflicted, since I think it looks kinda stylish and dashing, but on the other hand I tend to agree with P.J. O' Rourke here:

A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat.

So, what do the (mostly) ladies of WTM think? Good look, or no?

I like a hat on a man. I think the White Collar type hat is more trendy, probably better suited for teens and young adults. That being said I, as a woman, own one. I wear it when I'm editing my stories.

I like to see a man in a nice traditional fedora hat, or a panama hat, depending upon location and season. My dh prefers baseball caps, sadly.

You have to think about the logistics of hat wearing. I believe a hat should be removed when indoors, so where does one put the hat? My dh's cap always end up beside my purse when we are out to eat. At the movies it would end up in another seat. It's an accessory, like a purse. I envy men who have the freedom to NOT carry an accessory. For the right occasion I believe it's a great addition, kind of sexy, says a man is secure enough to be noticed.

Art of Manliness has a few articles on hats.

Edited by elegantlion

I loved the styles of the "olden days" when men wore hats.

My 12 DS wears a fedora often and gets compliments everywhere he goes. He wears it like other boys wear baseball hats...

That being said, I think it would be harder for an adult man to wear one. You'd have to be dressed in more formal clothing (or in alternative/rocker style clothing) for it to "work."

I like a hat on a man. I think the White Collar type hat is more trendy, probably better suited for teens and young adults. That being said I, as a woman, own one. I wear it when I'm editing my stories.

I like to see a man in a nice traditional fedora hat, or a panama hat, depending upon location and season. My dh prefers baseball caps, sadly.

You have to think about the logistics of hat wearing. I believe a hat should be removed when indoors, so where does one put the hat? My dh's cap always end up beside my purse when we are out to eat. At the movies it would end up in another seat. It's an accessory, like a purse. I envy men who have the freedom to NOT carry an accessory. For the right occasion I believe it's a great addition, kind of sexy, says a man is secure enough to be noticed.

Art of Manliness has a few articles on hats.

I was literally JUST on AoM, reading an article about the virtues of cold shaving.

My husband started wearing hats about two years ago. He never goes anywhere without one. He has a fedora, a panama hat, and a newsboy hat. I think he looks good in the hats, and he gets compliments on them (mostly from older men, which reassures me that he's not out to impress the ladies).

That hat wasn't for you. But I keep clicking the link to look again. You look good in a hat. Just not that particular hat.

After looking at AoM's article, I think I should wear one with a wider brim and a shorter crown(probably in gray), tilted back slightly, and cocked to the side.

I was literally JUST on AoM, reading an article about the virtues of cold shaving.

To each his own, but I prefer a traditional wet-shave using warm (not hot) water post-shower. I find a cold-water shave on my face leads to more "weepers" (which are rare with warm-water wet-shaves).

I use vintage Double Edge razors. Today's set up was a 1959 Gillette Fat Boy loaded with a Japanese "Feather" razor blade. Smooth!!!

Bill

I love hats and they are very in these days in some age groups. The groupings are odd but make sense if you think about it. There are older gentlemen who wear hats because it was normal when they were growing up. My FIL wears hats and they look great on him. Then younger men are starting to wear a wide variety of hats which look really stylish. It is the men between these two generations that don't really wear hats and I think it has more to do with the fact that they aren't used to wearing them (they weren't raised in an era when it was the norm) but they aren't quite as adventurous as youngsters. So hats feel weird to them but I think that if you find the right hat for you and you realize that it looks good on you then you will be more comfortable wearing them. My hubby really likes hats and he wants to wear them but feels that he needs to be just a little bit older to do so (I don't know exactly when this time is supposed to come being that he is almost 50). He is looking forward to it though.

My 13 year old LOVES hats, has a big collection, and wears them every day. We're working on rules (hat off in church, in theatres, etc.).

By the way, he watches White Collar, but he started wearing hats before that.

He also wears a pinstripe vest and oxford shirt most days. And he's recently started carrying a walking stick.

So, you can see why I felt comfortable participating in the "Your kids are weird" thread.

Edited: I realized I forgot to answer your question. I love a man in a hat. My husband doesn't wear them often anymore (although he did buy a top hat last Sunday), but I used to very much appreciate it when he did.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My husband and my brother (early thirties and late twenties, respectively) both wear hats and look good in them. Fedoras and other. My husband wears them mostly for practicality, I think (sun out of the eyes, etc.), but he looks good at the same time.

'Course, he wears a Utilikilt too, so he's not exactly shy about standing out. :D

I like hats, on both men and women. I'm glad they're coming back into style. I've rarely seen a good hat look bad on a person, young, middle-aged or old. I saw an old guy the other day wearing a straw hat on a sunny day; it stood out, but it looked good. And he looked a lot more comfortable in the hot sun than the hatless guys next to him did!

So, what do the (mostly) ladies of WTM think? Good look, or no?

Hubby has coarse unruly hair getting thin on top. Topped by a fisherman's cap, it looks **much better**. It is grey or navy and very unobnoxious. He works outside a lot and it keeps him dry and uncancerous. It is also slight protection when he drops a whatever he is nailing above his head.

P.J O'rourke has his moments, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desert island with him.

I love hats! It's funny, though, the White Collar fedora reminds me of a hat I bought for a boyfriend 20-some years ago. It looked great on him--he looked so much like the actor on that show. I actually had a matching hat in contrasting colors. We wore them everywhere. So much for convention...

C used to wear a Felt (Indiana Jones) Fedora everywhere for about 2 years, for the 2 years before that he wore a leather hat like Crocodile Dundee. His hair is long now and it doesn't suit hats and I really miss them on him. He is talking about having it cut short and I suspect that it is to facilitate a return to hat wearing.