Menu

gross but tell me about ear wax removal

my dd has a huge wad of earwax in her ear. I was able to clear one ear last night, but the other is not happening.

Last time we went to the doctor and they used the irrigation thingy and cleared out a ladybug sized chunk...but really...going to the doctor to clean out her ears??? there must be some thing we can do here at home.

Those little kits are just watered down peroxide. Sometimes I use straight peroxide in my own ears. Let it sit in there for awhile. It will bubble and get warm. Then use a bulb syringe to squirt warm water in your ear a million times and eventually the wax will shoot out. Best to do this over the sink. It's faster for the dr to do it, but you certainly can do it at home.

It's actually kind of cool to see what comes out! (But, I'm the kind of person who plans to videotape the wood and pencil tip stuck in the bottom of DS's foot when it eventually comes out.)

I have a lot of issues with ear wax. It has gotten to the point before where my hearing was muted due to a build up of ear wax. That time I actually had to go see an ENT and he used a miniature vacuum thingie to suck the stuff right out of my ear! It didn't hurt but it was a little loud.....but VERY effective!

In my experience, the at-home drops and the bulb things do not work very well. Actually, that just seems to move it around and make it worse for me. Not sure if others have had success with it.

I DESPISE the water thing that they use at a doctors office.....where they use a big syringe and forcefully shoot water into the ear. I've had that done before and the room began spinning! I had vertigo for a week because they had knocked loose those crystals in the ear that give us balance. That was NOT a fun experience. DD3 had it done a few months ago and she screamed bloody murder. I'm just not fond of that whole way of doing it.

I've also had them scrape it out at the doctors office. That hurt.

I finally found a GREAT tool to use at home! This is my sanity saver LOL! http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ototek-loop-ear-wax-removal-tool/ID=prod359743-product . I had to search for it for quite a while, but finally found one. I use it regularly (maybe once a month) to keep my ears clear. And the big round thing on the end keeps you from sticking it too far into your ears. Since I got this, I haven't had to go to the doctor for wax removal again!

Our ENT removed ear wax from my older once and after he told us to put vitamin E oil in her ears at home. She now does it herself about once a week and we've never had to have the dr. remove it again. Once you get the current problem cleared up you may want to ask about using it at home to prevent another buildup.

I've had my ears washed out numerous times...ick! I started using straight peroxide in my ears about once a month. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then let it drain out. I don't rinse with water. I haven't had to have the doctor do my ears in about 10 years. (And it used to be a fairly regular thing.)

WE got it. ewwww....it was about the size of a lady bug.

I got some drops for ear wax softening at the pharmacy and a ear syringe. We rinsed and rinsed and rinsed, slowly gently with warm water. Finally after about 20 minutes we got it.

It's one of those things that everyone wants to see and then they go "ewww." She's saving it to show her dad, when he gets home.:D

I finally found a GREAT tool to use at home! This is my sanity saver LOL! http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ototek-loop-ear-wax-removal-tool/ID=prod359743-product . I had to search for it for quite a while, but finally found one. I use it regularly (maybe once a month) to keep my ears clear. And the big round thing on the end keeps you from sticking it too far into your ears. Since I got this, I haven't had to go to the doctor for wax removal again!

I have one of those for Dh's ears... but ours doesn't have the round safety thingy. I clean his ears out for him, so I am pretty careful. We got ours from our kids' pediatrician. He used one on one of the kids and I asked if I could have one for Dh :)

I've had trouble with ear wax for years and go to the ENT doctor to get the wax removed. I usually need to go about every three months.

I can tell when it's starting to be a problem and make an appt. to see the physician's assistant before it gets too bad. For me it's been well worth the time and money rather than trying to take care of it at home.