Menu

What is your experience with refilling your own ink cartridges?

I really want to save money on ink and obviously the best way to do that is to refill my own cartridges. But I've been doing a lot of research and there are a lot of people who say refilling cartridges can damage the printer. Of course, there are also a lot of people who say they have been refilling for years with no problems? What should I do???

So basically, if you have experience, will you just tell me how long you've been doing it, what kind of printer you have, and what the results were?

Thanks

Just got refills for all 3 colors and the black for my HP printer for $10! Simple to do and it worked fine. I have enough ink to do them each 4 times for that price. There is a hole in the top under the label and you just inject it into the sponge.

My printer (HP) will not use refilled cartridges. The newer inkjet printers have a way of reading a chip in the ink cartridge. When the chip tells the printer that the cartridge is empty, the printer will not print. Apparently you can buy these chips so you can refill your cartridges but I never really looked into it.

The cheapest way to print (if you can't refill yourself) is a laser printer. I have a little Brother (monochrome) laser printer that I bought on sale a couple years ago before school started for about $60. I have saved far more than that in ink costs in the last year and half. I said in the other thread (on monochrome printers) that I use the b/w for 99.9% of my printing. It's a great little printer.:thumbup:

Been doing it for years. No problems at all with my printer and I save a heap of $. I use a Canon with chipped cartridges, so I got a chip resetter on ebay thats worked since the beginning (just a plastic doohickey that you set the cartridge on- does it automatically in a second. Really.) Research which ink to buy and order online- don't buy the cheap pack at WallyWorld. It's garbage. You'll still save lots of money in the long run. I buy black ink in an 8 or 16 oz bottle and colors in smaller bottles.

Seriously it's not that hard and works great if you do your homework.

Ummm, be sure to put down a paper and be sure not to knock over your bottle. Once is all it takes to learn that lesson. :)

Guest RecumbentHeart

hmm .. weird .. we have only ever refilled and have never had any problems and rarely ever have to buy ink despite frequent use. I think we have a Canon, but don't quote me.

Edited by RecumbentHeart
spck

Been doing it for years. No problems at all with my printer and I save a heap of $. I use a Canon with chipped cartridges, so I got a chip resetter on ebay thats worked since the beginning (just a plastic doohickey that you set the cartridge on- does it automatically in a second. Really.) Research which ink to buy and order online- don't buy the cheap pack at WallyWorld. It's garbage. You'll still save lots of money in the long run. I buy black ink in an 8 or 16 oz bottle and colors in smaller bottles.

Seriously it's not that hard and works great if you do your homework.

Ummm, be sure to put down a paper and be sure not to knock over your bottle. Once is all it takes to learn that lesson. :)

This is my experience almost exactly. I bought a Canon specifically because the cartridges are clear and easy to refill. I buy GOOD INK from a guy on ebay. Do not buy the cheap generic stuff--different printers use different ink. You can reset the chips yourself. My printers have always worked fine after refilling.

I wanted to add that the cheapest printing is using a laser printer though. We have both a laser printer that just does black and white printing and then the Canon color printer that I refill. We spend VERY LITTLE to print!

My husband has also been doing it for years with no problem. We have an Epson printer. There was some searching around to find the best place to order the ink.

We also use a laser printer for most of our printing, much cheaper and faster. We buy refurbished toner cartridges at a fraction of the cost. Most of the printing I do for school is black and white.

• 4 weeks later...
This is my experience almost exactly. I bought a Canon specifically because the cartridges are clear and easy to refill. I buy GOOD INK from a guy on ebay. Do not buy the cheap generic stuff--different printers use different ink. You can reset the chips yourself. My printers have always worked fine after refilling.

I have a canon mp250 could you tell me the name of the ebay store you buy from.

What kind of printer do you have?

I have a Canon Pixma and recently discovered a generic version of the ink cartridges on Amazon. 15 cartridges (3 of each color) for $15.

I have already replaced one ink cartridge with no problems.

Normally it would cost me $75 to replace all the ink cartridges (5 total). So this is a real deal.