Menu

Science experiment warning

When an experiment calls for putting a few drops of extract into a balloon, do NOT use essential oil. It is not the same as a food grade extract and will cause the balloon to pop violently in your face and splash essential oil in your eye. It will burn.

Note to self: buy safety goggles as eye glasses did nothing to protect eye.

My boys may have acquired new vocabulary words while my eye was burning in its socket.

It feels better now, and I have learned my lesson. Follow instructions exactly and do not substitute.

I'm glad that it feels better. My kids learned those same vocabulary words when I microwaved a slightly undone hardboiled egg. It exploded in my face when I bit into it. I had a burned lip and that area under my nose.

Which oil did you use? I sincerely hope it was the least caustic one in your cabinet! How did you rinse it? Oil (olive, canola, whatever) and milk work best - if you haven't done it yet, you still might consider it, just to be sure you get all the residual oil out. BTDT with ds once - it was the single scariest thing I've experienced as a mom. I hope you are doing better now! :grouphug: