Menu

Do you homeschool for FREE (or close)?

scrapbookbuzz

I bought a book somewhere (yard sale, library, something like that) entitled

Homeschool Your Child For Free or something to that effect.

What I want to know is do any of YOU homeschool for free or mostly free? And how do you do it?

I love my pre-packaged curriculum (currently Sonlight) because most of the lesson planning is done for me and if I order from the company, I can get everything sent to me in one fell swoop. However, that can be expensive.

But, if I go on my own, and piece meal everything, then I have to spend hours researching and planning ALL lessons.

So, I guess I have a double question:

DO you homeschool for free, or close to it?

and

Do you spend a lot of time lesson planning?

:bigear:

I don't homeschool for free, but I could come very close to it. It has been discussed many times on this board, and it is always stated that it is truly impossible to do so for *free* completely. There is always the need for paper, pencils, crayons, ink, internet connection, etc.

In this post and this post, I wrote about how I could approach doing what you've suggested. I use almost everything I've listed in the post. FWIW, I also don't spend hours making plans, but I do spend time reading books to help me teach. That is time worthwhile spent.

Librivox has oodles of history and lit books on audio for the download---free. Yesterday I read on Kara Shallenberg's blog that she's recently recorded a book of famous composer biographical sketches. I'm looking forward to listening to that one.

For writing, Maxwell's School Composition looks similar to programs which many homeschoolers enjoy, but this one is free. Ida Brautigam's Composition Lessons are free as well, and a very nice build-up to the Maxwell book.

For math, we are using MEP and CSMP, both of which are accessible free online. I am also adding in Intellectual Algebra by David Tower, available free at Google books. The word problems are great, and there is a nice explanation of balancing equations in the front of the book.

I've spent the last day or so making flashcards of states and capitals with a 50 cent piece of poster board from Dollar Tree, and a print out from teachervision.fen.com. Of course, I had to use a bit of printer paper and ink and glue stick, but they're pretty cheap in the long run. I allot myself about $12 per year for ink and paper. I usually stay under that total, barring the need for any new ink cartridges.

Read Marva Collins' book, Marva Collins' Way. She had little to no money and started a one-room school in inner-city Chicago many years ago. She might not have had much money, but she had her mind, and that was the best, and most priceless asset she could have had.

I could go on and on. I understand wanting the day planned via a boxed program. It is just not for me.

Annie, I think the resources you've just mentioned are a treasure! Money is tight right now, and getting tighter, so I'm just trying to figure out what we can do, should do, and what I'm actually willing to do! I'll check out the resources you've mentioned!

I see in your signature line that you mentioned "vintage books". Where did you find those?

Not anymore, but there were a few lean years that I tried to. We used very cheap used books, the library, online activities, and vintage books. Counting paper, ink, and other supplies, maybe $75 if I was lucky. This year I've spent about $300 on books already this year. It required to much planning for me, and it never really worked. Curricula costs money, because its so much easier to use. Which is worth it for me.

I had that book once. I ended up getting so p***ed off that I threw it in the trash. I think it is the ONLY book I have ever trashed. Much of the book is internet liniks. Great. I use the internet for schooling a lot. But I got incredibly frustrated with all the dead links in the book. I realize that's not the author's fault. Websites go out of business, resources move, links expire. One day I just got sick of it and and pitched the book.

Now I just google. :)

I see in your signature line that you mentioned "vintage books". Where did you find those?

Some of them I find at Google books, and they are free. Others I find in thrift shops or at library sales, and still others I buy from used book sellers online.

Some of my favorites are:

*The Human Body, a Deluxe Golden book, illus. by Cornelius Dewitt---I paid ~$6, I think

*The Canterbury Tales, Special Edition for Young Readers, a Deluxe Golden book---I paid ~$4 plus shipping for this one

*Builders of the Old World by Gertrude Hartman---a very nice world history spine, a bit like CHOW, found for 50 cents at a thrift shop

*Provensen's Iliad and Odyssey---I paid ~$8 for this one

I realize these titles weren't free, but these are a few I have that I've actually paid a few dollars for, and I treasure them very much.

I have an older Lexmark ink-jet printer.

I bought a refill kit of black ink which was on sale for 20% off, so I paid ~$6.40. I bought 4 reams of paper at the start of the school year from Walmart for $2.50/ream. I am just starting to use the second ream for this year, so I'm just under $12 for the year for actual supply usage. I have only used two of the three bottles of ink from the refill kit so far. I try to clean my printer well at least once a year, and this helps with maintenance. I also don't throw away paper that's printed only on one side. We use these for scratch paper, and I also print the copymasters for MEP on them. I try hard not to waste paper when possible. I also keep all of my used cartridges in a lock-top canister for future refilling. It has worked for me so far.

I guess in actual expenditure, I have spent almost $17 for the year in paper and ink. I usually use less than that for the year. Since I bought extra reams at the beginning of the school year, I won't need any for the next year.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

great thread for the "frugal crowd."

we don't homeschool for free but have tried to utilize free resources to help ease our financial load.

i just started ds13 on freeworldu doing home economics and its been good - at least for an elective course like home ec.

We don't hs for free, but many years I have allotted $300 for curriculum per year, so I buy used, then sell it at the end of the year for not too much less than I paid, so close to free.

We now have 3 kids and the youngest is too young to do schooling all together anymore, and my oldest has needed some more stuff, so we have upped our cost.

I am still very frugal and try really hard to buy used, sell what I can, etc....

I LOVE the free resources, I just have not been motivated to put it all together to use!

Dawn

I allot myself about $12 per year for ink and paper. I usually stay under that total, barring the need for any new ink cartridges.

:ohmy: Wow!...I bought that huge box of 5000 sheets of paper at the BJ's and that was about $35...Ink for my printer cost $35 for the double black pack and the color tri pack...I have already spent $100 on paper and ink, and I know I will have to replace at least the ink before the year is over...

How do you spend so little?

You really are only on your second ream of paper so far for the school year?? Wow!! Now we do use the backs for scrap and doodling and whatever' date=' but my goodness, I'm on my 2nd ream just since the beginning of Feb.[/quote']

Yes, I just checked to make certain. I am only homeschooling one child, and I am only printing MEP worksheets and other odds and ends.

I recently found a copy of the Complete Book of US History, after I noticed your mention of it in a previous thread. It makes a very nice spine for history, and I'm mixing in two Childcraft books, Pioneers and Patriots and Scientists and Explorers. They help to flesh out the chapters in the spine book nicely. Thank you again for the suggestion of this book. I think it will work very well for our needs. We tried the Rainbow Book of American History last year, but it's a bit above what I needed, and the Complete Book is right on target.

I'm impressed by how you have been so frugal. You can go thrifting with me any day! ;)

How do you spend so little?

Well, I'm operating on the same ink cartridge I've had for quite awhile. I really can't remember when I changed it last. One thing I learned over this past year is that it is important to leave the printer off when possible. Leaving it on for extended periods of time seems to dry out the printer cartridges, or so I'm told.

I just priced black ink at Sam's Club online, and I can get six 85 ml bottles for about $16. I'll probably invest in that to last me a few years.

I use the Staples $25 off a $75 order coupon. I buy a case of paper and toner for my laser. This usually lasts me close to 2 years. This year, I bought 2 cases of paper because my dh prints a lot at home for work, so he can have his own case and leave mine alone!

I also shop the back to school sales, primarily at Staples, pencils for a penny for 10 etc. I have quite the stockpile!

I use a lot of free workbooks from online. My printing cost for a Spelling book for the year was 80 cents...I can't buy a workbook for 80 cents!

I did give in and buy a pre-packaged curricula, only because of family circumstances, I couldn't plan this year. I actually miss sitting with my books and planning it all out.

Well, I'm operating on the same ink cartridge I've had for quite awhile. I really can't remember when I changed it last. One thing I learned over this past year is that it is important to leave the printer off when possible. Leaving it on for extended periods of time seems to dry out the printer cartridges, or so I'm told.

I just priced black ink at Sam's Club online, and I can get six 85 ml bottles for about $16. I'll probably invest in that to last me a few years.

I got the wrong printer! :tongue_smilie:...That's great...If all the ink ran out of my printer it would cost me $70 to replace it...

which printer do you use? I have a brother laser and the toner is about $25 for refill and $45 for new. This last me about 6-9 months. I thought lasers were cheaper to print on than inkjets.

We do it pretty inexpensively - I spent in the $100 range on materials this year.

I am confident that we could make do with library and internet resources and do it for pretty much totally free if necessary, but I chose to buy some things I liked rather than going the total austerity route :)

We actually have quite a lot of materials that we obtained for very inexpensively.

I got a banker's box of mostly new workbooks for grades pre-k - 3 at a garage sale for $5 (added up the total retail value, and it was around $250). We've gotten other random things at garage sales here and there.

We got K-2nd Hooked On Phonics for around $30 back when they were phasing out the old version, and are currently using this for two kids (and presumably will for the third). We also use Progressive Phonics which is free (read on an OLPC, which works well as an ereader, which we got for $40).

We use Math Mammoth for math because I wanted a more structured approach, but could get by with the aforementioned workbooks and/or MEP. We've bought two individual semesters (one electronic, one ebook), and plan to buy 1-6 from the homeschool buyer's co-op, and then use it for three kids, for a total cost of about $5 per year per kid (not counting printing costs).

We use Story of the World (just the book, not the activity guide), which was about $15 new for a hardcover, and will probably be used by all three kids.

We also bought Penny Gardener's Italics ebook for $10. Again, to be used by all three kids.

Also, several Holling C Holling and D'Aulaire books used in Ambleside Online for about $50 total, because they're gorgeous and seemed worthwhile to own.

I bought Song School Latin this year, too.

We received a ton of educational books and old curriculum for free through giveaways in our old homeschooling group, where people tended to pass along what they were done with or not using. This both gave me material to work with (Explode The Code, for example), and helped me decide not to buy some things (Singapore Math, for example). We also sometimes get things at the library used bookstore or yard sales.

We used to live near a state capitol, and they had a yearly giveaway of warehoused educational supplies (mostly samples sent by publishers and things like that), and we got more from there.

I hope to eventually pass on the stuff we're done with or not using to others :)

So basically, a lot of luck, and luck favoring the prepared (buying stuff years ahead of time when it was available, keeping an eye out for garage sales, things like that).

But I really think we'd be ok if we had to rely totally on the internet and the library, too.

I do expect it's likely to get more expensive when the kids get to high school, especially if we need accredited classes and don't go the virtual academy or community college route.

Paper and Ink: Back two years ago we got a case of paper from Costco for, if I remember right, about $25. It was the cheapest quality available. We're on the last ream now, and that's including several semesters of my nursing school care plans and using it as general drawing/paper airplane/whatever paper without paying close attention to reusing scrap paper and so on. At around the same time, we bought generic ink cartridges for our printer (a Brother inkjet - not noted for being ink-conservative!). I believe we spent about $75 on them, and need to reorder soon. Again, not all the printing was homeschool-related. In fact, I'd say most wasn't.

Planning: I do very little planning/prep on a day-to-day basis. I spend a few days mapping out history and literature for the year on google calendar, including a list of when to reserve which books (taken from book suggestion lists found online). Our cool library system lets you put holds in their computer system to be activated at a future date, so I just go through and do that at the beginning of the year (and add to it when needed). For math and stuff, we just move on to the next section. But honestly, this is fun for me. I'm going through and doing it a lot more in-depth right now than I truly need to because it's entertaining and I want to make the perfect curriculum for us.

Thank you, all, for your input! I welcome even more!

I guess I'm just looking at how to make it as affordable as possible. Let me tell you, I've discovered and learned to love free-eddotnet (better for Middle/High Schoolers and above) along with Cengagedotcom.

For the youngers, I like Enchanted Learning, although with that, I find I have to print stuff off.

Plus, homeschoolfreebiesdotcom is quite the resource, too; esp. when I save some of those freebies on our external drive.

If you have a economical printer (I have a Brother Laser) and use inexpensive toner refills from tonerrefillkits.com then you can print off some really cool vintage books. Both of these have lots of links:

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/fullcurriculum.htm

http://www.amblesideonline.com

Vintage books like Primary Language Lesson, Intermediate Language Lessons and Uptom Strayer Math are used for multiple years each and are hardbacks. They are very cheap. ILL being the most expensive at about $15. For 3 years of work, and can be used for all of your kiddos, that is a steal.

We are about to start our gardening for the spring and we will be studying about plants. I got this really cool book about the stages of plants from a thrift store for 50 cents.

sorry to highjack.. susie how often do you have to replace your drum for your Brother and where do you buy them?

If you have a economical printer (I have a Brother Laser) and use inexpensive toner refills from tonerrefillkits.com then you can print off some really cool vintage books. Both of these have lots of links:

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/fullcurriculum.htm

www.amblesideonline.com

Vintage books like Primary Language Lesson, Intermediate Language Lessons and Uptom Strayer Math are used for multiple years each and are hardbacks. They are very cheap. ILL being the most expensive at about $15. For 3 years of work, and can be used for all of your kiddos, that is a steal.

We are about to start our gardening for the spring and we will be studying about plants. I got this really cool book about the stages of plants from a thrift store for 50 cents.

http://www.freelyeducate.com/

Lots of great websites and whatnot on this site. I use it alot since DH challenged me to keep our school costs down as low as possible. As for planning, I just love to plan.......but for some strange reason my plans never seem to work out in reality. I still plan, but now I just sort of chart a general direction and wait to see what happens.

This thread is awesome! Are there any other threads like this one? What tags should I search for to find them?

I know someone who want's to homeschool, but doesn't feel that she could afford it.

She'd need 3R's type stuff for 1st-4th.

Also, so that I'm actually adding something to the value of this thread: I know Google Calendar makes a nifty planner! So you don't have to print anything and you can schedule everyones lessons by the day, week, month, whatever.

Do you have a Half Price Books near you? I can't begin to tell you how many amazing books I have found in the children's clearance section of the one by me, generally for 25¢-$1, plus 10% off with educator card. I've seen wonderful Caldecott & Newberry award winners, Dover coloring books of the ancients etc, living books mentioned on here frequently, and on & on. I have also been rather pleasantly surprised with the number of useful books my library has.

Do you have a Half Price Books near you? I can't begin to tell you how many amazing books I have found in the children's clearance section of the one by me, generally for 25¢-$1, plus 10% off with educator card. I've seen wonderful Caldecott & Newberry award winners, Dover coloring books of the ancients etc, living books mentioned on here frequently, and on & on. I have also been rather pleasantly surprised with the number of useful books my library has.

Oh, yes. The Half Price Books Clearance section and I are well acquainted; in fact, we're old friends! :D AMAZING what you can find there!

By the way, someone (not the OP) mentioned in this thread that she gets a lot of reading material from Google books. Let me tell you: I checked that out and you can find some amazing resources. There are previews of some text books via free-eddotnet. Granted, these are mostly college level texts, but by breaking it down into smaller chunks, I plan on using some of that for my middle schooler!

I thought lasers were cheaper to print on than inkjets.

I bought this printer 6 years ago for ~$60. Granted, there have been days during which I think hard about buying a laser printer, but then my trusty printer kicks in again and keeps going. I won't replace it until it is gasping for air. :D

I think the key to cheap printing is finding a printer that has easily refillable cartridges or buying replacement cartridges cheaply on E-bay or other sources. Either of those two things will keep printing costs down. You can refill your own cartridges quite easily, or you could take them to Walgreens, but that is more expensive---still cheap, but more expensive than doing it yourself.

Very true. Now I'm too chicken to refill mine.. but they now even make cartridges with refill valves for mine. If you are shopping for a printer I can tell you that any Brother that takes LC-51 or LC-61 cartridges will be a cheap ink printer.. you can get either of those in generic for about a buck each.

Ah! I have found my replacement printer! :D