Menu

I'm thinking about getting an ipad, have ?

Tell me what you do with yours and why you like it. And are there less expensive versions (different brands) of the same thing?

Wouldn't I be just as happy with a new laptop?

Thanks!

:bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear:

I have exactly the same questions!!!!!!

I love my I-pad. But, I also have a laptop. I really only use the laptop when I need to do word processing or a spreadsheet.

I use the I-pad for Internet browsing, reading books, I-pod, watching Netflix, entertaining the girls at appointments w/ game apps, speech therapy (our speech therapist recommended an App when she saw that we had an I-pad.) It's just more portable and we pretty much take it with us everywhere.

If I didn't have a laptop....? Hmmmm. "I" would probably pick the I-pad. Because the things I use the computer for do not require portability.

My dh bought me the I-pad. He bought me a blue-tooth keyboard to go with it. I mostly don't use it. But, if I'm sitting down to do lots of emails, I pull it out. It's easy to use. Just turn Bluetooth on the I-pad on and turn on the keyboard.

We're not shopping for one or anything, but I have thought they looked really cool. Sis came over last weekend w/ hers, & I have to say, wow. I HATED the thing.

It's the keyboard. I don't mind a touchpad--in fact, I like them. But this one's big enough that it's tempting to use it like a laptop, & it's SO sensitive. She says you get used to it, but...for *me* the word processing is the primary function of anything from a phone to a computer. I thought it would be cool to have an e-reader that could also do *simple* typing, like blogging (which I'd like to manage to do more of).

I told dh he needed to feel like he'd just won $500. :D I did spend the rest of the afternoon griping that he talked me out of a netbook & into a laptop, though. :lol:

what can the ipad NOT to that a laptop can?

iPads run "apps" from the app store. They don't run the kind of software you buy for a computer.

They don't play DVDs or CDs or accept thumb drives. Info and apps must be downloaded or emailed to be opened on the iPad. Also, info must then be emailed or uploaded to a server to be shared. There are a few printers that can receive data from the iPad; most do not.

Although you can surf the web on the iPad, Flash does not work. Some interactive websites and many games require Flash.

Although new OS updates are bringing multitasking, it's not as fluid (at least on the iPhone, and I guess the iPad is similar) as keeping a number of apps open and running on your laptop. You only have one "window".

Wendi

So what is it that people find so desirable with the ipad?

It is much more portable than a laptop. The type of people who love an I-phone are the ones who would love an I-pad. I take my I-pad to dr appointments, to run errands, etc... I have had a laptop for years and never used it that way. I only pack my laptop up for long trips, where I would use it at a hotel.

I just got my iPad. And I love it!!!!! I am a devoted iPhone owner though. So it was a natural upgrade I think. But I really only wanted a device to do email, check forums, surf the net, apps and Netflix. I was going to use it for books but I realized after I got it and downloaded the app that I can get cheaper ebooks on my nook.

I think if you get it expecting it to work as a laptop then you are getting it for the wrong reason. It is more of a mobile networking/Internet device.

It's a fun toy and I love it. I'll update after I have had it for a little while.

iPads run "apps" from the app store. They don't run the kind of software you buy for a computer.

They don't play DVDs or CDs or accept thumb drives. Info and apps must be downloaded or emailed to be opened on the iPad. Also, info must then be emailed or uploaded to a server to be shared. There are a few printers that can receive data from the iPad; most do not.

Although you can surf the web on the iPad, Flash does not work. Some interactive websites and many games require Flash.

Although new OS updates are bringing multitasking, it's not as fluid (at least on the iPhone, and I guess the iPad is similar) as keeping a number of apps open and running on your laptop. You only have one "window".

Wendi

This was exactly what I wanted to know. I think I'd prefer the laptop.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm always guaranteed an answer to my questions here! :D

So what is it that people find so desirable with the ipad?

Portability for me is the biggie....then there is:

How it feels in your hands

Ease of use as an e-reader

Streaming video (netflix)

Thousands of apps, including educational ones

That it works like an iPod too (video, music, photos)

Browsing the internet anywhere (WiFi + 3G)

Email anywhere

Now granted, my phone (iPhone) does all of the above too - the iPad though is a better size for many things and we use mine a lot since I got it for Christmas.

With a laptop, you have a screen blocking your view. With the iPad, you can surf and keep one eye on children. Also, it is more like reading a book then using a laptop, it sits very comfortably in your lap.

There are some really cool educational apps we enjoy! They are so much fun, they play them after school on their own.

I have all the McGuffey reader PDFs and several different versions of Webster's Speller in iBooks. Plus, I have a ton of free old classics on iBooks and on my iPad Kindle app.

It is also much easier to bring to an ER room or a long doctor appointment than a laptop.

With a laptop, you have a screen blocking your view. With the iPad, you can surf and keep one eye on children. Also, it is more like reading a book then using a laptop, it sits very comfortably in your lap.

There are some really cool educational apps we enjoy! They are so much fun, they play them after school on their own.

I have all the McGuffey reader PDFs and several different versions of Webster's Speller in iBooks. Plus, I have a ton of free old classics on iBooks and on my iPad Kindle app.

It is also much easier to bring to an ER room or a long doctor appointment than a laptop.

I have the 1824 version of Webster's Speller (Don Potter's version) on the iPad :D

I've still not figured out exactly now I'm going to use this, but give me time.

BTW unless you are completely happy with iBooks as a PDF reader, you might want to look at Goodreader. For 99 cents it has a lot of nice features.

Bill

and love my iPad, but if I had to choose only one I'd go with the laptop. I use my iPad for games, surfing, email, books, etc. I love how portable it is and my battery lasts sooo much longer than my iPhone, but I couldn't do without the laptop. I do all my school/home planning/scheduling on the computer. If I need to type a bunch, I use the laptop. I also don't have a printer available from my iPad. For me, it's a fun toy that lets me do some work on it but the real workhorse is the laptop.

PS If I had been reading the board on my iPhone, I would have come to the laptop to type this reply....

Good questions! I am saving up for an iPad and it's because I really like many of the apps available. Especially the educational apps! We don't have an iPhone or iTouch or anything like that, so this would be a step up.

Another question - Can you get NetFlix with just WiFi? Or does it have to be 3G? We have WiFi in our house. I'm sure I could download enough videos from iTunes, etc to keep us entertained outside of the house, so we shouldn't need 3G.

Love ours, too! Now that the newest one is coming out, my husband said, "Maybe I should get you that one so I can get mine back." It's HIS?!! Oh, 'cause I pretty much thought it was mine...

I have Webster's Speller on it, too... :)

If I got one of the new ones, I would def. get a keyboard for it and use it more like a laptop.

You can watch Netflix over WiFi, DawnL. I think I might crawl into bed and do just that tonight!

Tell me what you do with yours and why you like it. And are there less expensive versions (different brands) of the same thing?

Wouldn't I be just as happy with a new laptop?

Thanks!

Get a Dell Inspiron Duo... it is a laptop that you can flip the monitor around to use like a tablet.

ETA: Although I really want a iPad too...

We do ElizabethB's phonics lessons on mine:D!

Now, that is cool!!

It took a bit of work to format them for the iPad, but we are big mac fans here so I put off some other things and made that a priority once I realized that the normal QuickTime version would not play on the iPhone or the iPad.

I, too, am considering buying one....but it really seems more like a toy than a tool, and I am having trouble justifying it to myself. :-) I do not have a smart phone or anything portable. I just have my laptop, which I love and use a lot. Both kids do their math on it (and couldn't on an iPad) and Rosetta Stone. I print a lot, too. I have a lot of resources on discs that we use for school.

The iPad would basically be for me to use, and I could turn the family laptop over to the kids. While they are working, then I could check the boards and email- ha!

I don't think I go out enough to justify the need for its portability.

I think I just talked myself out of it. :-)

Well, we took the plunge and purchased a 1st generation refurbished iPad with out tax refund. We have purchased several refurbished Apple products and have always been happy with them. So now I have to apologize to my dh for my snarky comment about how he would not let me touch his work-issued iPad! I am impatiently tracking the package!:lol:

Love ours, too! Now that the newest one is coming out, my husband said, "Maybe I should get you that one so I can get mine back." It's HIS?!! Oh, 'cause I pretty much thought it was mine...

I have Webster's Speller on it, too... :)

If I got one of the new ones, I would def. get a keyboard for it and use it more like a laptop.

You can watch Netflix over WiFi, DawnL. I think I might crawl into bed and do just that tonight!

Where did you find Webster's Speller? Should I be able to find it on Google Books? I'm trying to get useful, old textbooks on my Nookcolor.

I, too, am considering buying one....but it really seems more like a toy than a tool, and I am having trouble justifying it to myself. :-) I do not have a smart phone or anything portable. I just have my laptop, which I love and use a lot.

Same here. It's a very expensive toy at that. I don't think we'll be getting one.

With a laptop, you have a screen blocking your view. With the iPad, you can surf and keep one eye on children.

:lol: Exactly!

What I love about our iPad:

1. Angry Birds

2. Plants vs. Zombies

3. The ability to carry an entire library and use any eReader I like

4. The educational apps, although we're not using them right now because we aren't getting the "real" school done

5. Isaac can entertain himself for a really long time with it, so he's not doing other stuff that I wish he wouldn't do.

My dh works for Apple, so *of course* we have an iPad. I don't have an iPhone yet because I have Verizon and "we're far enough into the life cycle of the iPhone 4 that it's better to wait for the iPhone 5 to come out in June." :D

The touch screen does take some getting used to, but it's not bad. They're working on putting the Apple productivity apps on it, like Pages (think MS Word) It may already be available - I'm not the one who works for Apple so I don't know for sure. :) I didn't think I would EVER adjust to the touch keyboard, but I've learned to love my iPod Touch, and the larger keyboard on the iPad is much better.

I do have a laptop, too, and I use that for most planning etc. I could blog from the iPad though and I might try that. It would certainly help me blog more often.

Good questions! I am saving up for an iPad and it's because I really like many of the apps available. Especially the educational apps! We don't have an iPhone or iTouch or anything like that, so this would be a step up.

Another question - Can you get NetFlix with just WiFi? Or does it have to be 3G? We have WiFi in our house. I'm sure I could download enough videos from iTunes, etc to keep us entertained outside of the house, so we shouldn't need 3G.

You only need Wifi for Netflix.

Wendi

You don't need 3G. WiFi in your house is plenty. We have WiFi and can do whatever we want. Also, lots of places have free WiFi, so if you happen to be traveling and MUST HAVE A NEW MOVIE, you could probably stop for lunch and fix that. :D