Menu

First Grade history: What do you think? SOTW/SL/TOG

ByGrace3

So, after researching and thinking way too much over first grade history and literature for next year: re the whole SOTW/SL/TOG debate, I "think" I have decided to combine these. I might be crazy, but these are my thoughts. I would love feedback as well as some thoughts on narrowing down the reading list (or telling me where to add) I have SOTW on the way, so I have not completed the plan as of yet, (still working on matching titles with chapters.) Here are my thoughts. Use SOTW as a spine with the AG, read the parallel passages out of either the Egermeier or Vos Bible Story book, and then add in some of the great TOG and SL book selections (and some VP), trying to balance the great non fiction of TOG with the fun historical fiction of SL. Obviously we will be very laid back about it and see how it goes/how much we can "get to", but this is the tentative plan. Here is our tentative book list: (again, I have yet to complete the spreadsheet, so I am sure there are some topics that have too much and some not enough, I am still correlating all the books with SOTW chapters) Would love to hear your thoughts, especially on which books to definitely keep and which your dc hated! :tongue_smilie: THANKS!

Egermeier or Vos Bible story book

Archeologists dig for clues

Greek Myths for Young Children

Detectives in Togas

The Usborne Time Traveler

Tut's Mummy Lost & Found

The Great Wall of China

The Aesop for Children

Pompeii Buried Alive

The Trojan Horse

Alexander the Great

Ancient Greece

Cleopatra

Egyptian God's and Goddesses

God King

God's and Goddesses of Olympus

Great Wall of China

King Midas and the Golden Touch

Old Testament Days

Rain Player

The Story of Little Babaji

Tutankhamen't Gift

Yeh-Shen

You are in Ancient China

You wouldn't want to be a pyramid builder

you wouldnt want to be a Roman Gladiator

you wouldn't want to be in Alexander the Great's Army

Gilgamesh the King

The Magic Treehouse: Day of the Dragon King

Lugalbanda

Tirzah

Esther's Story

Edited by ByGrace3

:lurk5:

I'm stuck between these three as well so I would love to hear ideas. It would be nice to get the best of all programs. Are you just combining book lists or are you actually getting all three programs? I ask because I considered trying to do this if I could find them used so I don't spend several years worth of curriculum money in one year! :)

And as a related tangent... have you figured out how you are going to add in younger children? (Our kids are the same ages.) I keep debating about just going ahead and starting next year with the four year cycle and rolling in new students or trying to do something different next year and then waiting until the year after to combine the older two. Decisions, decisions... :)

My kids are also about the same age and I plan to get Tapestry Year 1 and use that as my core with SOTW as like a spine and my childrens bible. I will add in activities as I can and other reads as I can from Tapestry. I chose this way because I plan to use Tapestry for the rest of my schooling years so I could justify the cost of it and SOTW is a reasonable price too. DD2, who will be 4 1/2 will listen in probably and will participate in most of the activities at her own level. I like lapbooks so I think I may incorporate some of those throughout the year but who knows what the future will bring :D

:lurk5:

I'm stuck between these three as well so I would love to hear ideas. It would be nice to get the best of all programs. Are you just combining book lists or are you actually getting all three programs? I ask because I considered trying to do this if I could find them used so I don't spend several years worth of curriculum money in one year! :)

And as a related tangent... have you figured out how you are going to add in younger children? (Our kids are the same ages.) I keep debating about just going ahead and starting next year with the four year cycle and rolling in new students or trying to do something different next year and then waiting until the year after to combine the older two. Decisions, decisions... :)

I do not plan on buying all of the programs. So far I have purchased SOTW and the AG. Other than books, that is all I plan to buy. Eventually I can see buying TOG, as I do think I plan to use it in the "next cycle" probably 4th or 5th grade, but I am a realist and know I can change my mind in a few years, so since I don't think I HAVE to have it right now, I am ok with being a minimalist. I don't want to miss out though. I want the good living books. So I printed both reading lists (SL ancients/ TOG as well as the appropriate VP lists) and cross referenced them all, chose those that overlapped (surely if 2 or 3 of those curr chose that book it is worth reading) added a few more that looked good, and that is my current list. I found a few lists online that correspond the Bible story book chapters with SOTW, as well as a list that corresponds alot of the book list itself with the corresponding chapter. Finish corresponding the rest, pick the final book list, pick what we will do out of the AG and I believe we will have a full first grade history curr. One we will enjoy, not "miss out", yet be able to successfully jump into TOG later without feeling like we are jumping in the middle of something . . .

ETA: as for what to do with the youngers, I really don't know yet. I planned to have ds join in as he joins us for history now, but now I am on the fence about having him do VPK 3 days a week next year, so not sure. I think we will just do the 4 yr cycle and let him tag, eventually he will get all 4 yrs in each stage, so it should be fine--just out of order. Same for dd2 when she comes along. Might be out of order, but I don't think I will want to do separate history's.

Edited by ByGrace3

Whew! I thought you were going to buy all 3 with the guides and that sort of thing! :D

Your book list looks great, and sticking with SOTW with the AG is PLENTY. You will not be short-changing your child in the least.

People forget that there is tremendous overlap between TOG, Sonlight, and the SOTW AGs. I'm glad you figured that out! :D

All right here are my thoughts....... you asked!

Yes, I think you are crazy. I think you are spending way too much time on first grade history. I am afraid you will burn out and be a mom with a 7 yo who says this is too hard - I'm sending them to ps.

BUT, since I love to plan and tend to go overboard, I completely understand.:D I am with you on SOTW w/ AG w/ Bible added in chronologically. SOTW already has a book list so it may be overkill to try to add in SL's and TOG's book list. I do search SL ( I use TOG) and other sites for read alouds and books for my voracious reader. If you really feel it isn't too much to put it all together then have at it. I just hope that PLANNING this all doesn't get in the way of actually DOING it.

All right here are my thoughts....... you asked!

Yes, I think you are crazy. I think you are spending way too much time on first grade history. I am afraid you will burn out and be a mom with a 7 yo who says this is too hard - I'm sending them to ps.

BUT, since I love to plan and tend to go overboard, I completely understand.:D I am with you on SOTW w/ AG w/ Bible added in chronologically. SOTW already has a book list so it may be overkill to try to add in SL's and TOG's book list. I do search SL ( I use TOG) and other sites for read alouds and books for my voracious reader. If you really feel it isn't too much to put it all together then have at it. I just hope that PLANNING this all doesn't get in the way of actually DOING it.

I actually love planning and curriculum development. I am kind of a nerd like that. ;) It will all be planned by the summer for next year, so won't get in the way of doing it at all :) I love books and I love the thought of literature based learning, especially through historical fiction, so I really didn't want dd to miss out on that. This year will be a trial run and we can see which she prefers and is drawn to/learns best from, and then go from there for second grade.

ETA: Also, I would rather spend the time now planning a curr I will use, then spend hundreds of dollars on a curr and then say, ugh for as much as I am using, I could have spent a few hours and done it myself, yk?

Sorry, no help from me, but I wanted to say THANKS for posting your list. :D Now, how can we get to see your spreadsheet? ;)

I commend you for diving into Ancients with little ones in tow. For me, it was too much, LOL. I just couldn't imagine trying to do Ancients with my first grader this year, and drag along the twins. :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: Something about that scenario filled me with dread. :lol:

So, we are starting off with Geography ("Countries & Cultures Around the World"). Next year, we will either start the 4-year cycle, or do two years of American History & Biography, then start our cycle. I go back and forth on it, but I lean towards starting with the more familiar US history, while the girls are little and we have to focus on the basic 3 Rs. There's only so much I can do in a day, KWIM?

But I love your idea of meshing the best of the best -- great resources in good programs. Care to share? Good luck with it!

Edited by Sahamamama

Sorry, no help from me, but I wanted to say THANKS for posting your list. :D Now, how can we get to see your spreadsheet? ;)

But I love your idea of meshing the best of the best -- great resources in good programs. Care to share? Good luck with it!

I will definitely post the spreadsheet when I am done :) Hope all my work will be able to benefit others as well!

Whew! I thought you were going to buy all 3 with the guides and that sort of thing! :D

Your book list looks great, and sticking with SOTW with the AG is PLENTY. You will not be short-changing your child in the least.

People forget that there is tremendous overlap between TOG, Sonlight, and the SOTW AGs. I'm glad you figured that out! :D

:iagree:

• 3 months later...
Did you finish your spreadsheet? I am just about to start making one, but I'd love to be a bum and use yours instead!

yup! ;) all done. send me a pm with your email and I can send it.

And for the question as to what I am planning to do with ds. My current plan is to see have him join in if he is interested in SOTW, but if not, have him be part of the supplemental readings and projects that I know he will enjoy. Then, when he is in 3rd and we visit ancients again, he will read SOTW independently supplementing whatever we are using at that point to be sure he didn't "miss" anything. Lots could change, but that is the plan that makes me comfortable with for now. :)

Hi. I am a mother of four (ages 13, 11, 8, and 5.5) who has been using Sonlight (various cores) since 2007, and used Tapestry of Grace Y1 last year.

I know that when I was first considering what to do with my boys, I spent a lot of time poring over book lists and catalogues, planning how parts of this and that could fit together. (I still love looking over all the book lists of various curricula!) My kids were going to get the most comprehensive, thorough view of history possible! And it was all dependent on whether I chose the very best materials and pieced them together in the most amazing way! :001_huh:

I just want to encourage you to go easy on your family during the coming year. With children at such tender ages, as a previous poster noted, you don't want to "burn out" by trying to pack too much content in. (Sometimes we can get so excited about the material ourselves that we just want to teach it all, forgetting that 6 is so very young!) Your main goal until about 4th or 5th grade is simply exposure to the ideas and time periods, not a lot of detail. They will pick that up just through what you do read, without pressure.

I only discovered TOG last year, and jumped into Y1 with a 7th grader, 5th grader and 2nd grader. Now that I've found it, I am thrilled and am committed to continuing with it right on up through the high school years. However, I do wish I had learned of it earlier so I could have been reading the curriculum and learning it myself. I had to really pack in the learning while trying to prepare to teach three students, one of whom is already at the dialectic level. If possible, use these earlier years to get prepared yourself. Give yourself the gift of purchasing TOG early, then use it mainly for your own education for the first four years (and of course, you'll start teaching the kids at the Lower Grammar level only; the Tapestry Teacher Training materials encourage mothers with young children not to get too intense).

You have done well to compare book lists between Sonlight and TOG. I like Sonlight's selections, but enjoy the more orderly chronological presentation of TOG.

I think that if you want a 4-year rotation, TOG can be your spine resource, and you can use Sonlight's catalog for supplements. (Also, have you tried Veritas Press? Great catalog!) I know I didn't choose to stick with Sonlight for Core 6 because I didn't like that it compacted all of ancient and medieval history into one year. I wanted to spread these out according to SWB's recommendations.

Anyway, I don't know if this helped at all, but mainly I just wanted to encourage you that your kids are young, you have time, and I can tell they are in good hands - so please don't stress yourself. I enjoy history, and so do you; but we need to remember to enjoy sunny days outside, going for walks, etc. - all the great times of childhood.

Several have asked for the spreadsheet, I think I have responded to all, if I missed you please pm me! I would love feedback if any of you choose to use it or even parts of it. :)

Here is the updated list of books if anyone is interested.

Archeologists Dig for Clues, Duke

One Small Blue Bead, Baylor

The First Dog, Jan Brett

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses, Barker

The Nile River, Fowler

Seeker of Knowledge, Rumford

You wouldn't want to be a Pyramid Builder

Magic Treehouse: Mummies in the Morning

The Golden Sandal, Hickox

Ancient Egyptians and their Neighbors:

An Ancient Guide, Broide

Old Testament Days, Sanders

The Life and Times of Hammurabi, Bryant

Babylonians, Life in Ancient Babylon, Rustard

Gilgamesh the King,

The Revenge of Ishtar,

The Last Quest of Gilgamesh, Zeman

You wouldn't want to be an Assyrian Soldier

Stories from India by Anna Milbourne

One Grain of Rice, Demi

The Story about Ping

D is for Doufu: An Alphabet of Chinese Culture

Anansi and the Spider, Eric Kimmel

Ancient Egypt (Ms. Frizzle's Adventures), J. Cole

Usborne Time Traveler

Tutankhamen's Gift, Sabuda

Tut's Mummy: Lost and Found, Donnelly

Tirzah

Roman Myths and Legends, retold by A Masters

The God King, Williamson

Ancient Egyptians and their Neighbors:

An Ancient Guide, Broide

Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, Hoffman

The Legend of the Persian Carpet, DePaola

Ancient Greece, Pearson

Atlantis: The Lost City (DK Eyewitness Readers)

The Hero and the Minotaur, Byrd

The Trojan Horse, Little

Greek Myths for Young Children, Usborne

The Tales from the Oddyssea, Mary Pope Osborne

(vol 1-3)

Daulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Hour of the Olympics (MTH)

Esther's Story, Wolkstein

King Midas and the Golden Touch, Craft

The Persian Cinderella, Climo

Time Traveler:Children through time (DK)

How Would You Survive Ancient Greek? MacDonald

The Gods and Godesses of Olympus, Aliki

The Aesop for Children, Milo

You Wouldn't Want to be in Alexander the Great's Army

The Greatest Ruler of the Ancient World,Langley

The Greek News

You Wouldn't want to be a an Aztec Sacrifice!

Rain Player

Who The The First North Americans

Stories From the Amazon

Jabuti The Tortoise

Life in Ancient Rome

Romulus and Remus, Rockwell

You Wouldn't Want to be a Roman Gladiator

Hannibal and His 37 Elephants (Library copy)

Buddha, Demi; Buddha Stories, Demi

The Story of Little Babaji

Ancient India, Daud Ali

You are in Ancient China

The Great Wall of China, Fisher

MTH Day of the Dragon King

Yeh-Shen

Little Pear

The Empty Pot, Demi

Julius Cesar, Great Dictator of Rome, Platt

Cleopatra, Stanley

Roman Numerals I to MM, Geisert

The Romans, P. Hicks

The Ancient Romans, Lassieur

Sun-day, Moon-day: How the Week was Made, Gilchrist

The Jesus Story, Mary Batchelor

The Very First Christmas, Maier

The Very First Easter, Maier

The Parables of Jesus, dePaola

The Miracles of Jesus, dePaola

Celebrate! Stories of Jewish Holidays, Berger

Israel, Kristin Theonnes

Jason's Miracel: A Hanukkah Story, Benderly

First I Say the Shema, Cone

Pompeii: Lost & Found, Osborne

Detectives in Togas, Winterfield

Pompeii . . . Buried Alive

Celtic Fairy Tales

The Ancient Celts, Calvert

Why are you Calling me a Barbarian?, Petren

Ancient Rome: See Through History, Simon James

Cattus Petasatus: The Cat in the Hat in Latin,

by Dr. Suess, Tunberg

Edited by ByGrace3

:iagree:

I love making plans and spreadsheets and booklists, too. I really love TOG, but I'm glad I stuck with SOTW/AG and great book lists for the early years. Once my kids started hitting dialectic stage and I had several kids to teach, a program like TOG became just what I needed.

I think my only concern is that you won't be able to keep up that pace forever :)

I say go for it now, but don't beat yourself up if you need to scale back later when your children grow.

Now that I have many of these books in my hands, I feel alot better about it. Many of them are simply small picture books. Scheduled each week are an average of 1-3 with normally 1 AG project. We won't stress if we don't get to it, but if we are reading aloud 30 min/a day which I think is certainly reasonable, we should be able to read through these. If we don't get to them, we will certainly not stress about it, maybe read them later or get to them next rotation. I am really excited about it!

On another note, I have questioned my plan over and over, and actually recently looked again at Biblioplan, and was pleased to realize I like what I have better so I think I am set! :)

Thanks for all the responses. We really try to focus on the skill areas in the early years, but it is this kind of thing (great lit/read alouds) that actually keeps our homeschool balanced. Relaxing on the couch reading great books allows us to enjoy homeschooling. :)

Hi there,

You remind me of me when I started homeschooling 7 years ago! I had huge spreadsheets correlating STOW to MOH to Bibloplan to All Through the Ages. If you have the time and energy, I think it's great to be organized.

I like your first list. We've ready 80% of them. The second list is really really long! And redundant. But of course, unless you've had the chance to look through all of them, you wouldn't know what your favorites are. Here, only experience will be your teacher.

I would pick 1-2 books for each topic: Greek myths, Trojan horse, Roman soldiers. Sometimes a few good books are more memorable and effective than reading an exhausting number of books on the same topic. For this reason, I've gone with Biblioplan for their book selections. I love Sonlight books, but they don't follow the 4-year cycle, and focus exclusively on American History for years 3 and 4.

Personally, I would just use SOTW and keep it simple. It's a complete history program. There is no need to supplement other than extra reading. During our second year of SOTW, I started to dabble in the idea of TOG, and after a week of stressing myself out, I snapped out of it. SOTW was working for us perfectly - so I'm not sure why I was feeling the need to complicate my life.

It's first grade! Keep it simple! (just my 2 cents)-:D

Personally, I would just use SOTW and keep it simple. It's a complete history program. There is no need to supplement other than extra reading. During our second year of SOTW, I started to dabble in the idea of TOG, and after a week of stressing myself out, I snapped out of it. SOTW was working for us perfectly - so I'm not sure why I was feeling the need to complicate my life.

It's first grade! Keep it simple! (just my 2 cents)-:D

This is what we are doing. SOTW AG with a reading list complied from the different curricula.

For those of you that asked for the spreadsheet, I think it has been sent to everyone, let me know if you did not get it.

Also, a note. On the sheet, the lit readings are color coded. If it is highlighted grey, I bought those and we will definitely do them (about 60%) maybe? The rest I will get at the library and if we don't get to it, we will mark it to read if we can get to it later :)

Hi there,

You remind me of me when I started homeschooling 7 years ago! I had huge spreadsheets correlating STOW to MOH to Bibloplan to All Through the Ages. If you have the time and energy, I think it's great to be organized.

I like your first list. We've ready 80% of them. The second list is really really long! And redundant. But of course, unless you've had the chance to look through all of them, you wouldn't know what your favorites are. Here, only experience will be your teacher.

I would pick 1-2 books for each topic: Greek myths, Trojan horse, Roman soldiers. Sometimes a few good books are more memorable and effective than reading an exhausting number of books on the same topic. For this reason, I've gone with Biblioplan for their book selections. I love Sonlight books, but they don't follow the 4-year cycle, and focus exclusively on American History for years 3 and 4.

I would love to hear which were your favorites and which you wouldn't have bothered with...which were the same, etc. Thanks for the input!

• 4 weeks later...
This is what we are doing. SOTW AG with a reading list complied from the different curricula.

For those of you that asked for the spreadsheet, I think it has been sent to everyone, let me know if you did not get it.

:)

would you send me your spreadsheet? I'm also starting first grade this year. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

What if you saved Ancients for next year? I just noticed the age of your kids. If you waited one more year you could get your second child in on the rotation. They'll both get a little more out of it next year than this year. Just a thought; that's what I did. For my oldest's first grade year we did american history. You're plan does look great though!

I finally got around to adding this list to my new blog, for those who are asking about it.

For those of you using it or parts of it, I would love feedback as we will be starting next week! :)

(Updated reading list is on post 18 of this thread)

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/

Wow, looking at your list, chapter 15 of SOTW is where I bailed on lining up SOTW with Bible (Biblioplan). Let me tell you, it gets to be TOO MUCH to read all of that at one time. You might want to cut some stories out or not actually read them but just tell them a short version. Even though we were using Egermeier's, so it was a shorter version than the original Bible text, it was still a ton of reading. Stressed us all out. I learned very quickly that less really is more. :D We now do ONE of those stories per day at breakfast. Yes, we're way behind SOTW, but we're getting more out of both readings AND making more connections.

Wow, looking at your list, chapter 15 of SOTW is where I bailed on lining up SOTW with Bible (Biblioplan). Let me tell you, it gets to be TOO MUCH to read all of that at one time. You might want to cut some stories out or not actually read them but just tell them a short version. Even though we were using Egermeier's, so it was a shorter version than the original Bible text, it was still a ton of reading. Stressed us all out. I learned very quickly that less really is more. :D We now do ONE of those stories per day at breakfast. Yes, we're way behind SOTW, but we're getting more out of both readings AND making more connections.

Thanks. I thought a lot about your experience when planning. I am not really going to stress about "keeping up" with the Bible readings. we are actually going to read through Egermeiers during our evening family worship time, using SOTW as a super loose guideline. I think that if we keep consistent with reading, we can not stress so much about reading all that Bible at the same time, just attempting to have read it before we get to its "time" in history, so we can summarize it. Anyway, we plan to be super flexible about it...:)