Menu

Winter Promise Catalog

Jilly

Guest Momlovesbooks
I love to look at their products, but have found that their programs don't work for me! Saying that---I'm off to drool! :001_smile:

Me too! I would never buy again, but they have the best advertising skills! :001_smile:

Guest Momlovesbooks
I'm considering one of their programs for next year. What did you not like about the curriculum you tried?

I tried CATW and AW. My problem with CATW was the maturity level. I did not wish to discuss child s*x workers with my 9 year old. They do tell you to just skip those pages, but my son was old enough to ask why. I felt like I had to keep those books hidden so he wouldn't go read them on his own. With both programs we found the readings scheduled were choppy, they just didn't flow well. I also tried their Acc K program. It was much better written and very interesting, but my son didn't learn to read from just ETC and flash cards. I am using Phonics Pathways with much better success.

I love to drool over the catalog, and I am always inspired by it.

I have used AS1 and AS2 with much success. I thought they were great programs. However, Animals and Their Worlds and Hideaways in History were big flops. I am not sure I would try another program with those odds, as it is so expensive.

I love to drool over the catalog, and I am always inspired by it.

I have used AS1 and AS2 with much success. I thought they were great programs. However, Animals and Their Worlds and Hideaways in History were big flops. I am not sure I would try another program with those odds, as it is so expensive.

I'm glad to see this. I am considering AS1 for a first grader next year. It really does look like a great program, though the cost is quite high!

I love to look at their products:001_smile:

:iagree: I love looking at the products even though i've never ordered. I'm about a hair's breath away from ordering the American Story 1 because I keep waffling about what I want to use next year and I just want to make up my mind and be done with the decision.

We've enjoyed AS1, but won't be moving onto AS2- mostly because of money. I've found that the topics are covered repeatedly in all the different books and this is good for ds10, who desperately needs the repetition to "get it".

I wish people wouldn't say that their customer service is bad, though. I agree, it is extremely slow, but they've always been so kind and helpful when I've ordered.

We've enjoyed AS1, but won't be moving onto AS2- mostly because of money. I've found that the topics are covered repeatedly in all the different books and this is good for ds10, who desperately needs the repetition to "get it".

I wish people wouldn't say that their customer service is bad, though. I agree, it is extremely slow, but they've always been so kind and helpful when I've ordered.

:iagree:and we enjoyed AS1 too!

To bad their customer service is so terrible!

I've always had wonderful experience with their customer service! They are wonderful people who have always helped me grately! Their shipping has been sketchy, though. This year has been better I've heard.

I think the problem came when they were a new business, they grew so fast they couldn't keep up with all the orders. They have really made steps to address this.

We've done AS1, AS2, CAW, currently in QAW and will do QMA next year. I have never had customer service problems, but I usually only buy the exclusives from them as needed. This program has obviously worked for us!

Thank you for the link so I can request the catalogue and WOW! has their website changed too!

Guest Momlovesbooks
OK, I have to ask, what in the world is the signifigance in teaching this material to a child? What is the context?

The study is on the plight of Children Around the World. We read about Iqbal, whose father sold him to the carpet industry for $12. He was chained to a loom all day. He is important because he escaped and started protesting against Child Labor. Many of the Child Labor Laws are in place because of him. He was murdered. The material relates to how we can pray for children in different countries, how they are hurt. I didn't realize how awful some of the details would be when I purchased.

I found the program helpful for developing a compassion for the plight of others. I skipped parts that would have been too harsh and discussed parts that were appropriate. I cried while trying to read aloud, we prayed, and cried some more, but I believe seeds of compassion and missions were planted.

I found the program helpful for developing a compassion for the plight of others. I skipped parts that would have been too harsh and discussed parts that were appropriate. I cried while trying to read aloud, we prayed, and cried some more, but I believe seeds of compassion and missions were planted.

:iagree: My children and I enjoyed CATW and we had lots of great discussions. The part with the young girls being sold as s*x workers, I glued those pages together :001_smile:

They have slow shipping and often have books trickle in over months' time, but when you talk to them on the phone, they are extremely likeable and helpful, reading to do anything to make you happy.

We have done both preschool programs, AW, and now AS1. AS1 is not a fit for us (1st and 2nd grades). Many of the books are a bit dry (we do like to be emotionally involved, though) and many I have found to be way over our girls' heads. The American Story has really neat stories in it, but the writing style just floats right over them. :001_huh: The activities in AS1 are a bit cheesy in More Than Moccasins, although the 3D Maps are very nice (the girls just don't like to color all those detailed, tiny pictures). We won't continue next year with them.

That being said, I will use their beautiful catalog (so pretty) as a book list to supplement. Many of their notebook pages look very well done (a bit pricey, though). AS1 and AS2 notebooking pages are not very nice, though. Just text (about 4 paragraphs worth) and a place to draw. A few are nice, but not worth it IMO.

They have slow shipping and often have books trickle in over months' time, but when you talk to them on the phone, they are extremely likeable and helpful, reading to do anything to make you happy.

We have done both preschool programs, AW, and now AS1. AS1 is not a fit for us (1st and 2nd grades). Many of the books are a bit dry (we do like to be emotionally involved, though) and many I have found to be way over our girls' heads. The American Story has really neat stories in it, but the writing style just floats right over them. :001_huh: The activities in AS1 are a bit cheesy in More Than Moccasins, although the 3D Maps are very nice (the girls just don't like to color all those detailed, tiny pictures). We won't continue next year with them.

That being said, I will use their beautiful catalog (so pretty) as a book list to supplement. Many of their notebook pages look very well done (a bit pricey, though). AS1 and AS2 notebooking pages are not very nice, though. Just text (about 4 paragraphs worth) and a place to draw. A few are nice, but not worth it IMO.

What are you going to do next year instead of AS2?

What are you going to do next year instead of AS2?

We are doing a mishmash of SOTW1 with AG and SL Core 1. Do I need to duck around here for saying that? ;) I love the activities of the SOTW AG and I can fine-tune to my heart's content. We did SL Core K and we liked it, and I thought we would like WP better, but I find that I want the good books first and then add activities here and there instead of being so activity-focused like WP.

Really, it's just a family fit issue. My very good friend is doing AS1 and will continue on; they like it. Unfortunately, we only do about 2 lines of the 10 or so line schedule, so I add in a lot of library stuff. We just read a lot, I guess.:001_smile:

We are doing a mishmash of SOTW1 with AG and SL Core 1. Do I need to duck around here for saying that? ;) I love the activities of the SOTW AG and I can fine-tune to my heart's content. We did SL Core K and we liked it, and I thought we would like WP better, but I find that I want the good books first and then add activities here and there instead of being so activity-focused like WP.

Really, it's just a family fit issue. My very good friend is doing AS1 and will continue on; they like it. Unfortunately, we only do about 2 lines of the 10 or so line schedule, so I add in a lot of library stuff. We just read a lot, I guess.:001_smile:

I have added at least 1/2 of SL Core 3 books in for my older daughter. She loves to read and adding those books is good for her. We'll do AS2 next year, adding Core 4 books as needed/wanted. Once we finish AS2, I am not sure what'll we will do. Nothing WP has interests me, so we may do SL Core 5.

I have added at least 1/2 of SL Core 3 books in for my older daughter. She loves to read and adding those books is good for her. We'll do AS2 next year, adding Core 4 books as needed/wanted. Once we finish AS2, I am not sure what'll we will do. Nothing WP has interests me, so we may do SL Core 5.

This is what I was doing too, reading Core 3 books to the girls instead of many of the WP books. Then when I decided to go back to SL, I stopped, as we will probably just go along with 2, then 3. I didn't want to read everything before we got to it.

This is what I was doing too, reading Core 3 books to the girls instead of many of the WP books. Then when I decided to go back to SL, I stopped, as we will probably just go along with 2, then 3. I didn't want to read everything before we got to it.

When I am using only Sonlight, I feel like I am dragging my younger DD along. She doesn't care for the SL books and therefore just mentally checks out. With WP, both of the kids are engaged and learning. I add the extra books as readers for my older DD as she is a voracious reader. We don't do all the hands on activities, but I like having them already there and scheduled so I can do it if I want too.

• 3 weeks later...
:iagree: My children and I enjoyed CATW and we had lots of great discussions. The part with the young girls being sold as s*x workers, I glued those pages together :001_smile:

I don't know why, but that line about gluing the pages together cracked me up. Thanks for the head up on that too, by the way.

I think that it is important, that any material you bring home for your children you should read before hand -- or be prepared. Just like not watching a tv show or movie before letting them watch, there might be something in it that you don't approve of. I don't trust WP or Sonlight or any vendor to know 100% everything that I might object too. I don't blame them when I do find something, even if it is not noted because I know it is my job to do the preview of the material. But I do like the heads up I get on these forums! :bigear:

I have never had a customer service issue with WinterPromise. Not one time ever. I have only received excellent customer service from them when e-mailing or calling them on the phone. Shipping is where they have suffered, but I've never received anything longer than past 1 month from ordering for back-ordered items. I order everything months in advance and that solved that issue. I plan to support them, because I love their history and language arts choices thus far.

If anyone has a 2010 catalog they can part with, please let me know. I am trying to locate one as WinterPromise doesn't have the old catalog anymore and I'd like to collect one!

I bought the Journeys of Imagination guide this past winter. Shipping it took FOREVER, like two weeks. I don't know if they print the material as they get the orders for it? It was very frustrating to wait that long for ONE item, especially for a time of year when they should not be bogged down with orders. I also do like their "no resale" policy. It really turns me off they they try to mandate that.

I absolutely love Winter Promise!!!! I also have never had any issues in customer service. They have always been willing to help in any possible way. And have gone beyond what I would call normal customer service. I don't think I would get treated the way they treat me at any other company.

Excited to say... I just ordered the last of what I need to do CATW with my kiddos!!! YEAH!!!!!

If anyone has a 2010 catalog they can part with, please let me know. I am trying to locate one as WinterPromise doesn't have the old catalog anymore and I'd like to collect one!

I have one I could part with, now that I have the new one. PM me with your addy.

Julie

I understand that they have revamped AS1 and 2 notebooking pages so they are better now. I really have liked the Sea and Sky and American Culture "Make Your Own Pages" (as they are called).

I understand that they have revamped AS1 and 2 notebooking pages so they are better now. I really have liked the Sea and Sky and American Culture "Make Your Own Pages" (as they are called).

I used the new ones, and they didn't seem different than the old ones I've seen on some blogs I follow. They just aren't as nice as their other programs. I've looked at the HIH pages, and they look about 100% better than AS1 and AS2. :001_smile:

I have one I could part with, now that I have the new one. PM me with your addy.

Julie

Thank you so much, sent you a PM!

I used the new ones, and they didn't seem different than the old ones I've seen on some blogs I follow. They just aren't as nice as their other programs. I've looked at the HIH pages, and they look about 100% better than AS1 and AS2. :001_smile:

I agree that AS1 so far has been a little dry compared to what I see in some of the other programs. There are some fun activities in there that my daughter likes, mostly the decoding/spy messages, but I mostly use the sheets right now as more of a narration guide. AS2 has "American Achievements Activity Pack" that looks like it might have a little more activities than the AS1/AS2 notebooking pages, but I don't have those yet to compare.