Menu

Mother-Daughter Journal - A neat thing.

A friend of mine pointed me towards a link on amazon for a mother-daughter journal. I thought it was a cool idea, but I wasn't sure I would like the format of the pre-written journal (amazon link here).

Instead I just bought a nice empty journal and talked to my daughter about it (she is almost 8). We've started writing back and forth to each other in this journal, and it has been WONDERFUL. The other day I was not listening as well as I should have because I was cranky from two weeks of sickness and running around. She was able to write down in the journal how she was feeling and I was FINALLY able to really hear her.

Don't get me wrong - we are actually pretty good communicators, but on occasion things break down and this works beautifully (so far). It's also a chance for us to just write love notes back and forth to each other. And I think that if we keep this up and do this long-term, it will be a pretty neat keepsake for when we're both older. Oh, and bonus, it gets her writing!!!

I think it is a wonderful idea. I actually have a notebook for each of my daughters in which we write notes back and forth. I started one as a sneaky way to get my older dd reading cursive. :lol: We haven't written in them for months, I should find them and start up again. Thanks for the reminder. :001_smile:

My sil did this with her step-daughter, and it really helped them get close. She is now divorced from the father, but she and her sd are still very special to each other--she's good at bonding with her kids.

I'm going to start one with my dd. We just had a tough conversation and I think she'd respond to the written idea really well.

Thanks for the reminder.

Thrilled that others might be able to use this idea also! One nice benefit is it can be a totally private thing between "just us". So even when there is chaos in our lives, it's nice to have a place for special thoughts between us. I think it could be particularly helpful when one person wants to talk about an awkward situation, also!

What kind of things to do you write? I love the idea, but am low on the creative ideas to get this going.

I have one of these with my older dd. I usually write about how I'm glad she is my daughter and how she is beautiful. I've written how much I can see her becoming a godly young woman. I've thanked her for things. I've told her about upcoming fun stuff we are going to do. Stuff like that.

Kelly

What kind of things to do you write? I love the idea, but am low on the creative ideas to get this going.

Anything goes! The other day she didn't think I was listening to her, so she wrote that down in the journal, and about how that made her feel. It really hit home, and I was able to step back and realize that even though we'd been sick for a long time (and had just come home from three days away) that it's still important for her to be heard. It just feels like a good way to discuss things when words aren't cutting it.