Menu

URGENT Birthday gift ideas, please

Today is my younger son's 4th birthday party. He wants "glasses like mommy's, a big red box who gives movies, a tardis, and a sonic screwdriver." :confused: I ordered the last item via Amazon using their 2 day shipping. It was suppose to arrive yesterday. Amazon tracking shows it is in OH. UPS tracking shows that they haven't received the package for shipment. :glare: It's the only thing I bought him.

So, any low cost birthday present suggestions for a 4 year old that I can get today? His party starts in four hours; he'll probably get a present from our guests (just one family).

Edited by joannqn

Do you have any kid consignment stores near you? They may have something you can pick up for under $10 that looks like a lot more than it really is.

DD4 likes:

Balls-any kind of balls! From super balls, Gerti balls, basketballs, footballs, Koosh balls, soccer etc.

Puzzles-she is a major puzzle kid. I love the consignment store for the simple wooden puzzles.

Toy Story Action figures-she loves TS so I bought her a few small action figures. It is amazing how much time she has spent playing with them.

Books-imagine that :)

Blanket-my kids love having their own blankets. For her size, I like couch throws. They aren't twin size, but they are big enough to actually cover her whole body. I buy them at TJ Maxx or Ross.

Plastic animals-from the cheaper Toobs of animals to Schleich, I can fill buckets with plastic animals here.

Hot Wheels-even my girls had some.

Bath toys-Ross and TJ Maxx are good places for these.

Play-doh or art supplies- paint, glitter/construction paper.

Movie-dd4 really loves the magic school bus movies and the typical toddler items.

Maybe a movie with a cute card from you saying they don't sell the red boxes. You can get kids videos at Target or Walmart pretty inexpensively.

My kids always liked the small miniature animals too. And playdoh and moon sand and all art supplies. For one of my dd's 4th bday I found a set of wooden Melissa and Doug puzzles that is actually blocks. Each side of the block is a piece to another puzzle, so the one puzzle is really several puzzles in one. They still play with it.

Here is a bunch of Dr. Who stuff at ThinkGeek. Maybe he'd like a tardis cookie jar in the house in the future?

Well, all of the boys in the house would love that one. I love the description. Got to expect a geeky description on ThinkGeek, right?

I'm still at a loss. My kids have never played with the usual things.

How about a set of pvc pipes and fittings so the kids can build a box shaped frame, some blue fabric to drape over it to make it look like a TARDIS?

That's one of the things I'm planning on doing for my son's birthday this year- a box of pvc pipe cut into different lengths with lots of t-joints and elbows and such so he can build something that he can use for whatever purpose but it's reusable.

Do you do Netflix? That would be a "red box" on your computer that would give him movies. (If you wanted to do a family subscription to that). Zoodles.com is a nice 4yo friendly application (safe browser) that features prescreened Youtube videos if you're interested in something like that. (free or you can upgrade to their subscription for extra parental perks). It has kept my kids amused in a good way a bit this week.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? They have such great science and craft kids. My son would have loved a bunch of popsicle sticks to build with. And some glue, with the freedom to build and paint whatever he wanted. Talk about cheap.

At 4 he adored the flash light idea. All things Hot Wheel and those are pretty inexpensive.

Well, all of the boys in the house would love that one. I love the description. Got to expect a geeky description on ThinkGeek, right?

I'm still at a loss. My kids have never played with the usual things.

Ha! Yes.:)

...approximately 8.5 days.