Menu

SO: Were you homeschooled? What have you changed?

MerryAtHope

I LOVE what Judomom asked of one mom in the how long have you homeschooled thread:

I love to hear the perspective of those who were homeschooled and who now homeschool :001_smile:. What is one thing you've changed in your homeschool vs how you were homeschooled?

If you were homeschooled, are you doing things the same, some things differently...please share!

Merry :-)

I was homeschooled from 8th-12th.

I remember loving the classes my Mom did with both my brother and me. We did some History together, Spanish, and sometimes a Literature class.

The remainder was filled in with Saxon Math (self taught for the most part) and ACE PACEs. I didn't do as well in those classes. I think I am more of an auditory learner.

With my kids I do a lot of one on one teaching, and then combine them for "classes" together as much as possible. I also realize that I didn't understand Math in high school even though I advanced year by year. As I am teaching my kids I am "getting" things a lot better. :lol:

I was homeschooled, with some private school dabblings from fifth grade on up. Most of my homeschool years were spent with ACE's PACES. I loathe that curriculum. :tongue_smilie: For the most part I was left to my own devices as long as I turned my PACES in on time. I don't fault my grandparents for that ACE education though. They were doing the best they could with a pair of unruly grandkids to raise, and there were about three publishers that sold to homeschoolers at that time.

Practically everything I do with my own kids is different from my homeschool education. I have a near allergic reaction to boxed curricula from any company. That may be why WTM resonated with me so well when I first read it. :001_smile:

I was homeschooled from 9th through 12th and my mom homeschooled my younger brothers from the time my youngest brother was a second grader.

She used 100% CLE. I tried a CLE Math LU when ds was 6 and it was a complete flop. He was in tears by the second week.

I bring some of my college elem ed training to the table in my curriculum choices. For that reason, I have stuck to lit based history and readers, and chose BJU English for its writing process. I also chose BJU Math because of its use of concrete/pictorial/numerical progression in teaching concepts. I insist on hands on experiments and teaching the scientific method in science class.

As far as curriculum I would characterize myself as eclectic, with traditional textbook and literature based leanings. (Whereas Mom was totally textbook/workbook reliant).

What I have kept:

1) A dedication and commitment to excellence and the willingness to spend a large portion of my day and as much as we can afford monetarily on homeschooling.

2) A family culture that values books, reading, and our Christian convictions.

I was homeschooled from the 4th grade through 12th. I have 6 younger siblings, all of whom were homeschooled K-12th.

My Mom is a traditional, "school at home" homeschooler, although I realize back when she was homeschooling me in the late 80's, early 90's.....she didn't have much choice of curriculum back then. It was Abeka, and as we got older, Saxon math. The one thing I remember fondly was her reading aloud to us, and I enjoyed that even as I got to be a teenager. I hope to read aloud to my children for many, many years to come.

As far as what I do differently, well, I am definitely NOT a traditional "school at home" type. I feel so fortunate to be homeschooling during a time where there are is an ABUNDANCE of choices of curricula. I'm also grateful to have The Well Trained Mind.....both the book and this wonderful forum. But I will always be thankful to my parents for my upbringing, and for keeping me "in the path of righteousness" as a child. There was a time when I was a late teenager to my early twenties when I was NOT grateful for that, and in fact, if you would have asked me at age 21 if I would homeschool my own children, I would have said NO! But, here I am. It's amazing how much your perspective changes once you grow up a little and become a Mother yourself. :001_smile:

Edited by jewel7123

I was homeschooled for all grades except 4th-6th. In my young elementary years my mom used School of Tomorrow(AKA ACE). There were very little choices in the late 80's early 90's. I plan to never use a full textbook curriculum. My mom loved reading and books, so we also read and were read many great books. In JR. High, and High school we used pretty much a unit study approach, and my sister and I helped my mom plan out what we wanted to study. I really enjoyed that. I think that my mom did a decent job especially with literature, History etc. I also feel that in Highschool our math, writing, grammar, and science were lacking, and I plan to do better with that. I had no problem passing the ACT with flying colors and graduating at age 16. I also adjusted easily to the community college. The only subject that was a bit hard for me was writing, and I'm sure science would have been but I did not take it. I only ended up attending for 1 year, and then later got married and had ds 10 months later, so never returned. For my own kids I do not plan to graduate them early at all. Just wanted to add for the 3 years I attended public school I was by far the youngest in my class(Dec. B-day, and the cut off is actually Sept.), and at the top of my class. I found PS challenging, and frankly boring:lol:.

I love to hear the perspective of those who were homeschooled and who now homeschool . What is one thing you've changed in your homeschool vs how you were homeschooled?

Ask me again in 10 years:D

At this point in the game, I haven't changed much except curriculum choices (1986 v. 2010!). My mom wasn't aware of the classical approach, which is certainly what I'm leaning toward. My DD occasionally uses the little green Playskool desk that I specifically remember sitting at for kindergarten:) We also use her Daddy's old cuisenaire rods on a daily basis, as he was homeschooled as well! I'm very thankful to have so much support and knowledge from both my Mom and MIL.

My mom started with Christian Liberty for the first couple years. Many of their books have changed, but the handwriting and Bible haven't! We used a lot of A Beka and Bob Jones. Saxon math from about 7th grade up. I hated Saxon.

One thing that I hope to change are the battles. My mom and I fought a lot. Last year, DD and I had struggles over Phonics Pathways! So silly!!! And all my fault. So I pray that I can be right with my attitude over the years, even when hers is up and down. I know it won't be easy for either of us.

Edited by myfatherslily

I forgot to mention my dh was also homeschooled for 6th-12th grade. His parents used Christian Liberty Press. He has a serious aversion from Rod and Staff because he loathed it as a child.:lol: Dh has consented to let me try Rod and Staff english 2 next year along with Bigger Hearts.

I was homeschooled 10th-12th. My mother used A.C.E. (School of Tomorrow) as that's all she knew of. She just took the training they offered and jumped in not ever knowing or worrying about learning styles, etc.

What we do the same: Memorize Bible verses and learn songs and hymns.

Pretty much everything else is different. It's not in my signature, so I'll type here what we use.

Math U See/ MM

Rod and Staff English

HOD

AAS

I don't remember my mom reading aloud at all (of course I was older) and I don't remember field trips (my parents had very little money). We read a lot and regularly take field trips.

Another thing in common: We both wanted/want the best for our dc and were willing to sacrifice time, money, etc.

I was homeschooled K-12 except for a couple of months in second grade. My parents began with Calvert in a box, but gradually branched out to other things. We used an assortment of curriculum throughout the years. Most of it was traditional text books...Saxon (the ONLY math for homeschoolers ;)), A Beka, etc., etc. When I was in highschool my parents discovered Robinson curriculum and loved the idea. While they couldn't completely let go of the security graded text books gave them, they knew they wanted to incorporate more "real" books and cut out some of the "busywork".

My children are still young, but as to what I am doing differently (or planning):

-I am leaning more towards classical (neo-classical?) and Charlotte Mason in philosophy.

-I am exploring math outside of Saxon (currently using RighStart). Hmm, this would be a whole other post!

-I hope to do more hands-on science (this was always a big weakness among homeschoolers I knew including us).

-I'd like to utilize some outside help in evaluating my children's writing as they get older.

-I am teaching cursive first.

My parents are still homeschooling some of my younger siblings (I'm the oldest). It is amazing to see how their homeschooling has evolved from 1987 to present. My mom discovered The Well-Trained Mind right after I had my first baby and she promptly loaned me her copy. She is currently using many of the recommendations like MP Latin and Story of the World. I get all of the hand-me-downs! My homeschooling will look much more similar to the way they do things now than when I was a child.

Though my mom calls me the guinea pig and wishes she could have done more for me, I will always be grateful for what my parents gave to me. Education truly was a way of life at home, not something that began and ended with "school hours". What I've come away with has less to do with what text books I used and more about what my parents cultivated in each of us. Our education has some holes, but we love to read, learn, and explore on our own, each following his own interests. This didn't stop once we graduated--it is a lifestlye--and one my parents still lead by example. My father is always reading history, my mother began cello lessons at the age of 50...

It has been only natural to continue this on with my own children from birth (though it is scary too!).

Forgive me--I was long-winded and wrote in a hurry. This is probably way more info than you were asking! Thanks for a place to ramble.

Edited by Amie

I was homeschooled for 9th-12th (actually I started community college instead of doing 12th grade - I was 18 though). We started with CLASS, and dropped it. My Mom actually didn't like some of the classics my brother was reading. I had a lot of input on what I used and studied, which I enjoyed. I used Saxon math, ABeka, BJU and CLA stuff.

I still love to plan, but I think I'm better at follow through now. I've kept our flexible schedule (Dad had Monday's off and we did too). I want to emphasize delight-led and interest based learning, especially as the kids get older. I might use BJU for high-school science, and I'd be willing to dual enroll or let the kids go to college a bit early, if they were mature enough. My kids will read classics, and I hope I'm better prepared to discuss these - since there is so much more information on the 'whys' now.

And I'm VERY happy to have more options than my parents did. Especially learning about Unit Studies (which I dabbled in while I was homeschooled), Charlotte Mason and TWTM.

I thank my parents for all the encouragement they gave me - their solid belief that I could succeed where ever I wanted to. And for their love of reading and writing.

I wasn't homeschooled, but my grandmother pulled my sister out of 5th grade and schooled her until high school.

At the time, it seemed like her choices for curriculum were Abeka, Abeka or Abeka. I do remember being very jealous because my sister finished school so early. My grandma also had time to teach her how to knit, play card games, etc. She also went to classes 1x a week at a private school and they offered retreats and fun outings.

Fun thread.

Monica

Homeschooled for 8th and 9th using correspondence courses through the province of Alberta. Ugh. Read textbook, answer mindless regurgitation multiple choice and short answer problems. I hate literature anthologies to this day...real books, please! My mom worked so I was just left to it, failed math, and went on to never succeed at math again more or less.

Each of my siblings has been homeschooled for increasing amounts of time, ending with my half-brother who has homeschooled from the start. He got to use MUS for the early grades which my mom passed on to us (yay!). She's still in the trenches (he's 13), and is very unschooly.

We do EVERYTHING differently. I'm intensively involved in all subjects, NO multiple choice ;), real books, and I'm now a Christian! I'm understanding the classical model more each day and as I learn more, my love for it increases; it just makes sense.

I was hs'ed in K & 10th g. For K, my mom created all her own materials for me. (Our interests have always been different from ea other, though!) ;)

For 10th, mom was a single working parent. I did ACE paces on my own.

Everything is different, but the reasons are more important than the changes themselves: I've planned to hs from the start, dh is supportive, the internet exists, state laws support us, & there are a huge array of choices from curricula to coops to...everything.

My mom would have been an *awesome* hs'er in the traditional sense. I'm not very traditional. ;) But the best part? She's *totally* supportive of what I'm doing because she's living vicariously through me. But I can't imagine missing this. :(

I was home schooled from 6th grade on, until I refused to school.... at which time I suppose I would be considered "unschooling" :)

My parents knew about ACE and A Beka, which started selling directly to homeschoolers without them having to use the correspondence school, after Bob Jones decided to sell straight to homeschoolers. Money Talks! :)

I think that my mom heard about Calvert?? after we had been homeschooling a while.

My parents and I have grown in our knowledge of education and my mom and dad would be Classical Educators, had they known. My dad was the crazy "scholar wanna be" when he was in High School, reading Classical Literature and learning Greek for fun. He went on to add Hebrew, Latin and learn a few other languages well enough for his degrees.... Then after his Theology degree, he went to Law school ;)

But, I wasn't the most agreeable student, and my mom had no info about "deschooling" after they pulled me out of public school. I do think I would have done well with something like Sonlight, as I chose to read books like Animal Farm and The Good Earth for fun.

With my son, I'm trying for something between The Well Trained Mind and The Latin Centered Curriculum.

:)

One thing that I hope to change are the battles. My mom and I fought a lot. Last year, DD and I had struggles over Phonics Pathways! So silly!!! And all my fault. So I pray that I can be right with my attitude over the years, even when hers is up and down. I know it won't be easy for either of us.

I was going to post today about thinking of putting kids in school because of the battles. I am sometimes literally forcing them to do school (as in flailing the air at the back of a kid who's trying to escape and saying "You get your butt back in here and do school!")

Then there's also the times when our curriculum just seems to bore them, as some of you have mentioned of what was used when you were homeschooled. Any cure for that? (I am an eclectic hs. For history: Lit., videos, nf library books, a little of this and a little of that as an example.)

And what of things like making friends or learning to deal with someone other than your siblings? Yes, there's homeschool group. But it's once/week and my youngest does not seem to know how to engage with others her age. Did any of you find spending some time in PS helped with this, or did it just make matters worse?

Just curious, and only slightly OS-feeling inadequate to the task and like I am doing them more harm than good lately.

Could use some perspective from the students' point of view.

Lakota

Hi Merry,

I was homeschooled for health reasons from mid 1st grade through 8th, and 11th grade. This was in the early 80's so there weren't a lot of curriculum choices, plus my family is not religious so that narrowed down the field even further. We ended up unschooling which worked out well with my health issues. We were definitely the "weird" homeschoolers in our homeschooling community :lol:.

I did go to public school for 9th, 10th and 12th grade (11th grade I was sick again so we homeschooled). Even coming from an unschooling background I adjusted well and did fine in my classes. I went on to get my bachelors (with honors) and am almost finished with a masters.

After growing up with an unschooling background I have a soft spot in my heart for it. I think I will probably do an eclectic mix though in a very relaxed way :001_smile:.

Marisa

I too wanted to say that my mom is supportive of the changes I've made with my children. I was a typical learner and those PACE's were fine for me and I did well. My sister on the other hand needed my mom by her side every moment. The curriculum really wasn't what she needed, but my mom did not see that then. She sees it now though. She tells me now that she wish she knew about all the wonderful things out there. To tell the truth, I don't know that so many wonderful products were available then. We truly are blessed.:)

I was homeschooled from fifth grade on until graduation.

My mom was working on her masters and doctorate while I was being homeschooled, so I was somewhat unschooled which seems (to me) to work best when you have only one kid. It was fine. As others have mentioned, there were far few curriculum choices, so in many cases unschooling was the only way to go if you had a child who was working above grade level.

As far as the changes I have made, I am MUCH more structured. I also am very careful to make sure the boys are very strong in math and science, the areas I neglected as a (somewhat) unschooler using correspondence courses. I did read enough science to pass the CLEP Tests so that I didn't have to take either biology or physical science in college, something I find laughable! I think I was able to test out of a little more than a semester's worth of classes. I'd like to think my boys would be able to test out of much more than just a semester. I coasted through hs. They won't if I have anything to say about it.

I was hsed K, 3rd, 7th & 8th, and 10th-12th. In between I went to different private schools and public school. Out of the 3 I liked hsing the best.

What I am doing differently is, hsing only. If I can help it, I will not put my dc in school. My mom says she hopes I never send them to school. I have more confidence in my abilities as a hs mom, than my mom. My mom was going against a major tide. She did not feel comfortable going outside the usual curr. choices (Abeka, BJ, Saxon, ect...) and the "school at home" model. She relaxed a lot more in my high school years, but wishes she would have done it sooner. Now she encourages me to think outside the box. I make up my own curriculum for things like history and science. I don't give tests. I do things in a very CM way instead. We travel the country part of the year in our rv. When we are on the road the places we visit are our history and science curr. It looks somewhat unschoolish. I am so blessed that I have a mom who was willing to go against the tide. Her choices made hsing a very easy choice for me to make.

What an interesting thread! My dh was homeschooled for 11th and 12th grade. He and his sisters had always been in private school until they moved and couldn't find a decent private school in the new state/city. So, his mom decided to homeschool them. They used ACE/paces in their private schools, so she just continued with that.

Dh is the main reason we are homeschooling. When I met him, I'd never even heard that people did that! What his background has given me is a very supportive husband, supportive in-laws, and a sister-in-law who also homeschools. She and I use a more classical approach, although my SIL has used paces as her kids have grown older.

What his background has given me is a very supportive husband, supportive in-laws, and a sister-in-law who also homeschools. She and I use a more classical approach, although my SIL has used paces as her kids have grown older.

TREASURE that! I have just the opposite. A very supportive Mom and my side of the family, while DH's family is very negative and disapproving. I hope with time that will change, but I'm not holding my breath. :boxing_smiley: :D

I was going to post today about thinking of putting kids in school because of the battles. I am sometimes literally forcing them to do school (as in flailing the air at the back of a kid who's trying to escape and saying "You get your butt back in here and do school!")

Then there's also the times when our curriculum just seems to bore them, as some of you have mentioned of what was used when you were homeschooled. Any cure for that? (I am an eclectic hs. For history: Lit., videos, nf library books, a little of this and a little of that as an example.)

And what of things like making friends or learning to deal with someone other than your siblings? Yes, there's homeschool group. But it's once/week and my youngest does not seem to know how to engage with others her age. Did any of you find spending some time in PS helped with this, or did it just make matters worse?

Just curious, and only slightly OS-feeling inadequate to the task and like I am doing them more harm than good lately.

Could use some perspective from the students' point of view.

Lakota

I think maybe if you re-post this in it's own thread, you might get a response? Just a suggestion.......:001_smile: