Menu

What 8th grade is for

I couldn't decide if this belonged on the High School Board or the k-8 board, and I have decided it's "general" enough for this board.

My boys are entering 8th grade next year. I've been looking at doing a couple of online classes or classes at an "umbrella" type school nearby, and I keep finding myself wanting to look at 9-12 or 9-10 grade classes. When a class says 6-8 I have this tendency to think that we don't want to waste our time with that, that it will be easy, that it's not enough for an 8th grader, that they could take the same subject with more work and have it count for high school credit.

Is this how it feels for others to play 8th grade? I think part of it is wanting to get "on with it" and go ahead and take the HS biology or social studies. But then I think that I don't want to push them too quickly, that it ought to be a gift to have 8th grade classes that are for the child and not for the transcript. You know?

They already take Algebra and HS level Latin, and can handle the work just fine. All of my friends seem to think my boys belong in high school level classes.

What is 8th grade for?

I honestly felt that 8th grade was a wasted year for ds; it was simply a transition from elementary to high school. I was busy looking forward (nervously), and son really wasn't challenged. This year he's doing so much better because it's HIGH SCHOOL. :001_smile:

Well, with my son, 8th grade looked like it would be a waste of time and money, so we skipped it. We started him in 9th grade courses with an accredited high school online school. However, we did not enroll him in the whole 9th grade. He started with 2 classes, replacing them when they were finished. He's now finishing his last 2 classes and is on par with his peers in the local high school.

Now we're encountering this with dd12 (13 next month). She tested into the 9th grade LA, but I was nervous about it. I enrolled her in the 8th grade LA instead and it's okay. I really think she would have been fine in 9th grade. But I'm making her work through this quickly so she can move into the 9th grade LA. She's in Algebra 1 and recently started a high school health class. We'll be adding an earth science course in the next couple of months.

So for the most part, we just skip 8th grade. :)

I honestly felt that 8th grade was a wasted year for ds; it was simply a transition from elementary to high school. I was busy looking forward (nervously), and son really wasn't challenged. This year he's doing so much better because it's HIGH SCHOOL. :001_smile:

Were you homeschooling him that year? Do you wish you had gone ahead and started more challenging high school work? Or do you wish you had done junior high things that were different from what you did? Do you think he looks back fondly on having a "light" year?

Were you homeschooling him that year? Do you wish you had gone ahead and started more challenging high school work? Or do you wish you had done junior high things that were different from what you did? Do you think he looks back fondly on having a "light" year?

Yes, we homeschooled. He spent the year reading a lot, working on his writing, and did a general science class and Algebra 1. I do wish we had done it differently. Like Night Elf's son, he is doing Keystone online this year, and I wish we had just gone ahead last year, even starting with two as NE did. He'd be that much further ahead. I think at the time he liked having a light year (he's not really an academic, more of an artist), but I do think he would have liked to be ahead.

If your boys can handle the work, I say jump ahead to ninth. :001_smile:

You can use it to fill gaps, solidify skills and/or move ahead. If I could do it over, I would do more study & organizing skills plus some Lit. study prep.

For many dc, it's a difficult period and they can't learn a lot of new things. Was it JennSoCal that said their brains shut off? Anyway, that may be why 7th-8th curricula is simply a review.

If your dc are able to keep moving ahead, I would.

Denise

8th grade is for continuing to learn and be challenged at whatever pace is appropriate for the individual student.

Some kids might need to take it slowly and do middle school level work.

My DD is in 8th and taking a college class (physics).

I don't pay attention to "grade level". you know your student best.

Nothing is worse than wasting time with boring unchallenging work and turning the kid off school by that... happens in the local public middle school.

Having skipped 8th myself, I think it's a good year for allowing maturity or reinforcement for kids who need it for high school. I was at a social disadvantage in 9th grade public school, but certainly not an academic one. As a homeschooler, if your child is ready for 9th grade work, skip 8th. If they need another year to mature before college, a gap year of work or travel, or a year of CC while living at home can allow for that later. Don't bore them with a wasted year of redundant academics.

Dd is in 8th this year, and for her, it is busy, busy, busy. She is taking Latin on-line with Memoria Press, and completed a semester of Logic with them as well. She takes Algebra and Biology from a local homeschool teacher, as well as the rest of the normal courses at home.

If they are ready for high school level courses, I think they should just go ahead and take them. They could then take more advanced classes later, cover a wider range of subjects or graduate early.

My parents took me to Australia for part of my 8th grade year. While there, I completed the last term of 8th grade. We returned to the states in time for me to complete the last third of 8th grade. Both transitions were fairly seamless. :001_smile: That being said, I've watched my 8th grader mature dramatically this past year. He's no longer just interested in getting school done, but doing a good job at it. His study and time management skills have sky-rocketed. He likely could have handled 9th grade this year, but my goal has been for my children to flourish in high school and college, not simply manage to get by.

As a homeschooler, if your child is ready for 9th grade work, skip 8th. If they need another year to mature before college, a gap year of work or travel, or a year of CC while living at home can allow for that later. Don't bore them with a wasted year of redundant academics.

I'm not interested in calling them "9th graders" and skipping 8th grade altogether.

I could see moving them forward and doing high school level work in 8th grade, and I could seeing using the year to do some neat things they might not have as much time for later - more travel, more art and music, etc.

But I am definitely not interested in having my children be especially young graduates. I want all five of those years!

I'm not interested in calling them "9th graders" and skipping 8th grade altogether.

You don't have to. My dd started taking cc classes in 9th grade. She eventually took more classes there than at home, but I still considered her a high school student until she graduated last December (a semester early.) :001_smile:

I could see moving them forward and doing high school level work in 8th grade, and I could seeing using the year to do some neat things they might not have as much time for later - more travel, more art and music, etc.

But I am definitely not interested in having my children be especially young graduates. I want all five of those years!

We're debating on skipping 8th. However, we've deferred the decision until the end of next year. I'm planning the year as if it would be the first year of high school and academic wise he's there in a few subjects, not in a few other.

We'll be working on skills a lot next year. I know for my ds, we have a list of foundational skills to accomplish before the end of next year regardless of what year we call it.

For us, 8th grade was about trying out the program we wanted to use for high school. It was getting used to lesson plans, and tests, and formal writing, and filling in any gaps. Our idea was to make the high school transition easier by doing it a year early so to speak - not so much in the classes taken, but in the program and curricula used.

I would let them take the classes at whatever level they're at with each course. You can always decide later whether or not to count them for high school credit.

Y

For many dc, it's a difficult period and they can't learn a lot of new things. Was it JennSoCal that said their brains shut off? Anyway, that may be why 7th-8th curricula is simply a review.

I would say that some days my sons, one in particular, really does seem sort of "shut down" mentally. The thing is, other days he is very productive and capable. I think that is one reason I have been glad I homeschooled through junior high. Honestly, some days I almost just say, "Okay, I don't think we are learning much today. Time to take you to tennis." And I feel okay about that. Other days he is "on." I wonder what it would be like to have him in a regular school where he might miss major concepts on an "off" day - or might waste time reviewing stuff other "off" kids missed when he is feeling sort of "on" that day.

I would let them take the classes at whatever level they're at with each course. You can always decide later whether or not to count them for high school credit.

maybe because I am only homeschooling two and they are twins, so I haven't had the "pancake" kid to learn on. I am not sure I am every good at evaluating what level they are at. Their test scores are always excellent, but apart from that, sometimes I think my perspective on them is not perfect and I overestimate and then underestimate their abilities.