Menu

BJU PRESS (online, dvd, hard drive)

susankenny

Who has used this for more than 1 year & still likes it? I'm really considering this next year....even if I don't use it for every subject, it is cheaper to buy the full curriculum than just a few subjects. I'd love feedback. You can link me to previous posts, blogs, whatever. I'm sure this has been touched upon before but I couldn't find it with an advanced search. Thanks!

Susan

We used BJU HomeSat for two years before BJU terminated the satellite program. The current DVD classes are the same setup as what was broadcast over the satellite, but some of their class videos have changed as editions have been updated.

We used grades 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 over those two years. I have three kids. The classes are very fun, especially in the lower grades, and very educational. There is a lot of info in the videos that is not in the textbooks. They really round out the books. We LOVED grade 1; the reading instruction is exceptional in that grade. I learned a lot about phonics rules that year, too! We have been away from BJU Video classes for two school years now, and sometimes when I asked the kids where they learned something that I was amazed they knew, they say, "BJU!"

We started using it in our second year of homeschooling because I was really struggling with homeschooling at the end of the first year. I felt led to BJU, and it was an excellent fit for those two years. It was the key to getting homeschooling on its feet in our home, and without BJU HomeSat, I would have really struggled to continue homeschooling, and I'm not sure I could have continued. It made homeschooling doable for me.

We ended it after two years because the kids were simply DONE with video classes. They felt they took too long to complete - 30 minute videos, then some reading, then workbook. It all added up to too much time for them. They would much rather have their noses in a good book than watch a lesson, but I do miss the ease it gave me! We have used Sonlight over the past two years, and they have enjoyed all the books very much.

BJU fit a need in our home for two years, but it's not for us now. Choosing it for a year doesn't mean you're stuck with it forever, but I know it is a lot of money to put out when you're not sure (but then piecing together your own curriculum can quickly add up as well). And with BJU you wouldn't have to make up much of a schedule - it's just "do the next lesson."

If you do choose video classes, be sure the children get outside everyday on a regular basis for their health. One natural provider has told us we need twice as much time outside as we are in front of a screen.

You mentioned not doing every class that is included in a grade, and that is also a real option and would lessen their screen time. I'd also recommend being flexible and don't be afraid to skip lessons if they already know the material or to fast-forward through slower parts of the video (review) if possible.

We have used BJU dvd's for over 3 years now. I started using them as a last-ditch effort to save our homeschool during a very stressful year. I only planned to use them short-term, but my kids LOVED them! They are the ones who wanted to keep using them. I really love them, too. The teaching is top-notch and I never have to worry about what is being covered. The teachers are always nice and never get frustrated :tongue_smilie:.

We do most subjects with the dvd's, with the exception of math. We start at 8 and are usually done by 12. It's really not a ton of screen time. Some classes are 30 min, some are 15. They stop and read or work on worktext pages during the lessons, so it's not continuous viewing. I do sit in on Science (6th grade) with my older 2 because it's tough!

It's still work for the parent... just a different type of work. There is managing and grading to be done, plus helping out with work and reviewing material. The bulk of the teaching is taken off of your shoulders, which is nice. It frees you up to work with other kids (I rotate working one on one with math between my 3 kiddos during our school day.)

We still love the dvd's and plan to continue using them indefinitely. There is a yahoo group called HomeSat that is for users of the dvds. Most of the people on there have used BJU distance learning for years.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gayle

You didn't mention what grades you are looking at using. As for class length, elementary spelling is between 7 and 15 minutes (depending on if it is a test day), English is 15 minutes, and all other elementary and middle school classes (history, math, science, reading) are 30 minutes in length. High school science is a 45-minute video, and I can't remember if all of the other high school classes are 30 or 45 minutes. I am thinking high school Spanish was a 45-minute class. We didn't use high school classes, but I did have an opportunity to watch the classes as they came in on the satellite.

Oh, how I really wish my kids would be open to using them!

www.heartsforhomeschooling.blogspot.com

We've used it for 7 years (Grades 1-7), and we like it.

It's not perfect, and it's not perfect for us; but we have liked it all along.

Pros: The teachers are wonderful. The content is wonderful. The textbooks are fine. It provides a nice structure for our school day and our school year.

Cons: Some kids can stay tuned into videos for 3 or 4 hours a day and some can't. The school day is not 8 hours of video, but it is 3 or 4, depending on the grade. Apparently a lot of kids cope well with this. I've been on the HomeSat yahoo group for ten years, and I read many happy reviews there. For my son and me, the videos are WAY too long.

I know it's ironic that we like HomeSat (now DLO) when we don't like video classes, but it's true.

Like any instructor-led class, it is not easy to modify to adjust to your learner. It is paced for an average/smart learner who can stand a good bit of repetition. If your child doesn't fit in that category, it's difficult -- but not impossible -- to adjust the curriculum to meet your needs.

Like any instructor-led class, some of the teachers are better than others. Most of them we are very fond of. We're happy when we see them at the beginning of each school year, and/or we're disappointed when we see that they're not on our class lineup for the year. A few of them are downright unwatchable, and we made no attempt to watch them. In our case, that's not a big deal; but if you were counting on your child getting that particular class on video, it would be an enormous disappointment.

I have no qualms looking forward to the high school years with this curriculum, and we have many fond memories of the elementary program.

Thanks everyone. I am looking at Grade 4, specifically language arts, math, and science.

Last question, do I really need the TM?

Also, aren't the dvd's, hard drives, online classes all the same? My impression was it was the same & only varied in how you chose to view them. Is this correct?

Thanks again.:)

Susan

We're doing the 1st & 2nd grade online math and it's really good. That's the only course my kid's are using because I didn't want them doing any more screen time at their age. It's very engaging and the kid's enjoy it. We take a break from it here and there and I'll teach the lesson. The video lessons takes 30 mins to watch and then another 30 mins to do the worktext, fact practice sheets and fact review.

With the online version, the TM is in a PDF format but you can't print from it. BJU let's you purchase the TM at 1/2 price if you're using the online version. I went ahead and bought it because I wanted to be able to have it in my hands vs. viewing it online only.

Some of the online classes have not been updated yet to the newest versions. If that's important to you, you may want to see what classes are updated before purchasing. For example, I know math 1, 2 & 3 have been updated but I didn't think math 4 online had been revised yet.

We started using Bob Jones when the satellite was an option. It was wonderful being able to pick and choose what classes your kids would take. In elementary mine always did Spelling and English. The classes were short and fun. It was super helpful to be freed to help another kid, knowing that they were still learning. I wouldn't have mine do all the classes, but the curriculum was wonderful, so I never minded teaching it myself, and having them take 2 classes on the DVD's

Can you tell me which grade/subject she teaches? If the info is listed on their site, I cannot find it.

Thanks,

The teacher is listed in the course description, both on the website and in the catalog. So you have to look at the particular course you're considering to see who the teacher is. They'll also have video samples of the class, so you'll be able to see that teacher in action to decide for yourself.

For some of the sciences (7+) there are lab dvds as an option. It has been a good compromise for us.

It was just last year that the newest BJU Science 4 came on screen, with Mrs. Dunn replacing Mrs. Cropsey. I was very happy for this change, as my ds suffered through with Mrs. Cropsey for BJU Math 4. Also, the brand new science class has all the updated technology which is really nice for science, especially. Fortunately for us, I had gone down a grade for science the first year, so we had Miss Liston for BJU Science 3 and she was wonderful. She is one of my dc's favorite teachers. She also does BJU Reading 4.

I thought I heard that perhaps Mrs. Vick is in the process of revamping BJU Math 4 (not sure). If this is the case, I can imagine that the class would be fabulous as Mrs. Vick gets rave reviews from what I've heard.

I needed the BJU DVD's that year and I loved them, but I now know that we don't have to do ALL of them in any given year.

Brenda

The teacher is listed in the course description, both on the website and in the catalog.

I guess I did not look long enough.

She was the teacher for 4th math and science (I think the science may have been updated). She may be great with a live class, but it did not transfer to video. Yuck!

Not our grade! (trying not to celebrate too much) I would have had a hard time choosing her after your info. (Any others I should know about?)

It was just last year that the newest BJU Science 4 came on screen, with Mrs. Dunn replacing Mrs. Cropsey. I was very happy for this change, as my ds suffered through with Mrs. Cropsey for BJU Math 4. Also, the brand new science class has all the updated technology which is really nice for science, especially. Fortunately for us, I had gone down a grade for science the first year, so we had Miss Liston for BJU Science 3 and she was wonderful. She is one of my dc's favorite teachers. She also does BJU Reading 4.

I thought I heard that perhaps Mrs. Vick is in the process of revamping BJU Math 4 (not sure). If this is the case, I can imagine that the class would be fabulous as Mrs. Vick gets rave reviews from what I've heard.

Good news on this and the science, too.

We need a great, low stress, all in one place, all in one book, all in one text, with one person teaching everything curriculum next year. Really praying that BJU is it.

Thanks again.

am considering this option for my 2 older children. Thank you for all of the reviews. I never thought I would do DVDs but the kids I know in real life who have gone through A Beka/ Bob Jones have been very prepared for college, some going to medical school and getting advanced degrees in chemistry.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you find out what classes have been updated from the older classes? We are looking into 1st and 5th? It is very hard to find reviews for this program. Thank you for this thread.

You can order a catalog. I got mine in the mail and noticed some updated on the DVDs. I'm so excited :D. I noticed their website has the updates as well.

I am having my two older dc use the dvds in the fall.

Here's a link http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_Distance-Learning____23702

Edited by Homeschooling6
added link

How do you find out what classes have been updated from the older classes? We are looking into 1st and 5th? It is very hard to find reviews for this program. Thank you for this thread.

I think that the only new distance learning class this year for 1st & 5th grade is 5th grade heritage studies. Mrs. Walker is the new teacher, and she is fantastic.

There is a new first grade science book out this year and 5th grade math, but the distance learning videos are for the older books.

HTH

Thanks everyone. I am looking at Grade 4, specifically language arts, math, and science.

Last question, do I really need the TM?

Thanks again.:)

Susan

I'd recommend you get the TMs for English, Science, and Math. You'll need them for answers. Do NOT get the Spelling or Handwriting TMs, however; they have no use to the homeschooling parent and are a complete waste of money, IMO.

If you go with DLO, you can buy all the TMs for (around) $100, which is the deal of the year.

Agree that Mrs. Cropsey was horrible. We could not watch her. If I had paid for just that class, I would have been furious. I'm sure she's a dear lady with many wonderful qualities, but it didn't come though on the videos.

• 1 month later...
If you go with DLO, you can buy all the TMs for (around) $100, which is the deal of the year.

Agree that Mrs. Cropsey was horrible. We could not watch her. If I had paid for just that class, I would have been furious. I'm sure she's a dear lady with many wonderful qualities, but it didn't come though on the videos.

This is great to know because I am interested in online version, but feel like the TMS would be really necessary for 5th grade! Thank you

I have friends that use the DVD"s there are several families that do it together, I would love to be able to do the dvd's online, or any of them, we cant afford it. but we do use bob jones all the time. God bless each of you that can afford it, how awesome, We used to use the satellite for bob jones at a monthly rate. but we cant afford what they have now. Enjoy, GOd bless, nancyt.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you tell me about BJU Science 3? Reviews?

I think I have it down between this and Sonlight 3 or 4.

Is the DVD going to cover the same material as the traditional textbook program? The catalog says Science 3 3rd edition, this edition is not available on Distance Learning. Then it lists the material covered and it sounds perfect.... but I want the DVD, not just a textbook.