Menu

Reminder Space Nuts - Last Discovery Launch today

Darcy I have to rely on the web too. I went to the NASA site' date=' but I'm not seeing anything live - just some photos. Do you know if they will be showing it live on this site?[/quote']

Go to the main NASA page and look for the part that says "Watch NASA TV". There is a public channel you can watch the launch on. If you have windows media player, you can access it here - http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx.

Also, if you want to see/hear the stereotypical go/no-go polling(officially called the launch status check), that will be performed around 4:21 eastern time this afternoon with launch at 4:50. You can see what I'm talking about from a previous launch here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfqv2B3kxc.

Edited by WVNA

I'd love to be in Florida today!

For us it means traffic will be at a standstill. We usually just stay home on launch days to avoid the crowds, but today we have an activity that gets over just half an hour from launch time. I don't look forward to the gridlock.

It also means dh has to work late and won't be home for dinner.

For us it means traffic will be at a standstill. We usually just stay home on launch days to avoid the crowds, but today we have an activity that gets over just half an hour from launch time. I don't look forward to the gridlock.

It also means dh has to work late and won't be home for dinner.

So do tell - what does he do??? :D

I believe it! We were there for the last launch in May. The traffic was impressive and I expect it will only get worse next time for the last scheduled launch unless they add more flights.

So do tell - what does he do??? :D

He works at Canaveral Air Force Station for a civilian contractor. His area is launch communications. They mostly deal with unmanned launches here and around the world -- gps and weather satellites, military spy satellites, etc. But they also are part of the support system for NASA and shuttle launches.

I believe it! We were there for the last launch in May. The traffic was impressive and I expect it will only get worse next time for the last scheduled launch unless they add more flights.

We do plan to brave crowds for the last one. I've been here for every launch, including unfortuately, the Challenger. I want to see the final one. (I also saw the last few Apollo launches).

We can see the launches from our front yard, and always do go outside to watch, but if we go a few miles to the river, we can also see liftoff. And that's a pretty amazing sight!

Edited by floridamom

He works at Canaveral Air Force Station for a civilian contractor. His area is launch communications. They mostly deal with unmanned launches here and around the world -- gps and weather satellites, military spy satellites, etc. But they also are part of the support system for NASA and shuttle launches.

Kathy that is a cool job! How awesome to be right there!!! :)

Sigh....we tried to get down for a prior launch attempt, and it failed (although from DD's point of view, going to Sea World was a reasonable consolation prize). We decided we couldn't afford to go down right now-and it looks like it's going to launch this time. Oh, well.

Sigh....we tried to get down for a prior launch attempt, and it failed (although from DD's point of view, going to Sea World was a reasonable consolation prize). We decided we couldn't afford to go down right now-and it looks like it's going to launch this time. Oh, well.

I always felt bad for people who used their vacation time to come for a launch, then it gets postponed and they have to return home before it's rescheduled. You just never know what's going to happen though.

We're on the Gulf Coast, and couldn't see the usual trail. :(

However, watching it on NASA TV is the next best thing. DS was so excited he's been wearing his NASA costume most of the day. LOL

8c52e1ae.jpg

He loves all things space, but this mission has been fascinating for him because of the Robonaut going up to ISS.

I bought the costume off Amazon. It was around $40, but it is constructed REALLY well. Not flimsy at all. And he wears it constantly. LOL He'll wear it for Halloween too (assuming it will still fit).

Here is a list of all upcoming launches (not just the shuttles): http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

DS wrote down all of the STS launches on his calendar though. He's been counting down Discovery's launch since last October. ;)

ETA: DS is on NASA's site almost every day, so he learns about the missions every time they put something about them up.

Yep - and NASA is completely abandoning all plans of going back to the moon :(

BTW..this was posted by them this morning on the debris:

You may have noticed some foam loss during Discovery's launch. We are are looking into it with our usual rigor, but it appears to have happened after the window of concern. The loss was consistent with cryopumping which is understood and has been seen before. We will keep you updated with our findings.

I would dearly love to come back to FL for the final launch. We were there for Atlantis and it was the highlight of my Florida trip including Seaworld and three days at Disney. I remember the first launch. I was eight years old and SO excited!

I hope NASA will get better funding eventually. I have two sons who would like to work there, they even have their jobs picked out: nuclear engineer and marine biologist.