Menu

What should we know to get our son into medical school?

5KidzRUs

He is 18 and will have his A.S. in three months 0 from a U.S. school in KS.

His GPA is around 3.80

He is Phi Theta Kappa

Will be graduating Magna Cum Laude

I think he has to be accepted to a medical school in order to be accepted to the military medical school program - which is his desired route (not mine:glare:)

He is living at home with us in Europe - and he will be attending an American university here to start working on his B.S. - through a university here that has a branch on the U.S. military instillation near us. It is University of Maryland - any feedback on the general perception of degrees from this college?????

Does he need to take the SATs? I would think not since he will already have his A.S. in May.

Is starting his B.S. here going to affect chances of getting accepted into Medical School in the U.S?

What should he start doing now to better his odds of being accepted?

Should he complete his B.S. here before planning to apply for a Medical school?

What am I not thinking of to help prepare him for success on his college path?

Please do not flame me for asking these questions instead of him asking. He is researching too.

Thank you all so much for sharing your wisdom!

(I am posting a similar topic for my daughter)

May I suggest you repost your question here:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/

As there is a wealth of knowledge from doctors and others who have been there, done that as far as getting into med school is concerned.

I know from lurking there that med schools frown upon or outright don't accept pre-req courses (science, some math) taken at community colleges, but other than that, they'll have better advice than I could ever have since I'm new to the process other than lurking.

I would suspect UMD is fine.

And I doubt he'll need the SAT, but again, I suggest you ask those who are more familiar with the process.

May I suggest you repost your question here:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/

As there is a wealth of knowledge from doctors and others who have been there, done that as far as getting into med school is concerned.

I know from lurking there that med schools frown upon or outright don't accept pre-req courses (science, some math) taken at community colleges, but other than that, they'll have better advice than I could ever have since I'm new to the process other than lurking.

I would suspect UMD is fine.

And I doubt he'll need the SAT, but again, I suggest you ask those who are more familiar with the process.

2nding the CC info. We have been told by ever uni that we have visited that when medical schools look at applicants that when all other things are equal, the student with CC credits will be the one rejected.

Having CC credits for acceptance into a traditional 4 yr program is not the issue. However, he should seriously reconsider re-taking the material. As one pre-med professor said to us on Monday, the biggest issue is that CC's don't test students or require students to understand material to the same degree as traditional universities. (fwiw, we were told the same thing about AP credits at one university)

THe other recommendation we have been given consistently is to have shadowing hrs. We have been told it does not matter what type of medical dr or facility so much as just consistent exposure to the medical field.

One other thing I'd suggest is talking with the folks at the branch of UMD on the overseas base about their success at getting kids into medical school. Ask them what kind of courses & preparation they would recommend. Ask which courses and ECs their successful med school applicants had.

I'd also suggest asking on the CC forum, but make sure you describe your child's circumstances with schooling overseas since that would not be typical. Maybe there is someone from CC who has traversed a similar path.

Best wishes,

Brenda

As one pre-med professor said to us on Monday, the biggest issue is that CC's don't test students or require students to understand material to the same degree as traditional universities. (fwiw, we were told the same thing about AP credits at one university)

This is what every single place has told us too - regarding both cc classes and AP. It's why we aren't even bothering with the AP Bio or Chem tests and why my guy probably won't accept credit for his A in a 200 level Microbio course at a cc. I don't regret him taking the course as it was a great lab science for acceptance into a 4 year school. I just don't want him to compromise his chances for med school later on.

I agree with talking with the med school counselors from UMD suggestion that was mentioned in a later post too. Some schools are VERY good at getting students into med school. Others, not so much. I have no idea where that school lies on the spectrum.

Hmm.

My brother graduated from UC Davis with his BS, but had taken his Calculus courses at the community college. He had no trouble getting into medical schools. He's now an MD/DDS. His ex-wife went a similar route, but she had an non-hard science undergrad degree, and took her math and science pre-reqs at the community college.

I suspect that all other things being equal, maybe a med school would prefer a student without cc courses. But I certainly don't believe CC courses immediately disqualify a student from med school, or my brother wouldn't be doing what he's doing. In med school, nobody cared where he took Calculus. :)

Hmm.

My brother graduated from UC Davis with his BS, but had taken his Calculus courses at the community college. He had no trouble getting into medical schools. He's now an MD/DDS. His ex-wife went a similar route, but she had an non-hard science undergrad degree, and took her math and science pre-reqs at the community college.

I suspect that all other things being equal, maybe a med school would prefer a student without cc courses. But I certainly don't believe CC courses immediately disqualify a student from med school, or my brother wouldn't be doing what he's doing. In med school, nobody cared where he took Calculus. :)

Depending on their age, it might not have been as big a deal. This seems (from lurking) to have been made a bigger deal within the past 10 - 15 years and even moreso most recently.

Plus, not all med schools require Calculus - therefore, that's one course that can vary. They don't care about courses that aren't pre-reqs.

Taking any pre-req course at a cc is a definite no-no from the college confidential sources.

Edited to add that I suspect (purely theorizing) that the issue may be due to the degrading of high school courses leading to the degrading of cc courses, etc. I know our high school courses aren't as "tough" as they were when I started teaching 12 years ago. Many things have been dumbed down so more kids can get high grades. I've heard cc has followed suit. From the three classes my boys have taken, I can fully understand why they don't want credit from them.

Edited by creekland

2nding the CC info.

Having CC credits for acceptance into a traditional 4 yr program is not the issue. As one pre-med professor said to us on Monday, the biggest issue is that CC's don't test students or require students to understand material to the same degree as traditional universities. (fwiw, we were told the same thing about AP credits at one university)

Ah-hah! This might explain why, when I looked at the pre-med course track at FSU, the list of courses assumed NO prior classes, whether AP or DE. The track starts from scratch. http://www.academic-guide.fsu.edu/ If you click on the "M" for Biological Science or Biochemistry (both of these are the pre-professional medical track) you will see what I mean.

My hunch is that core classes in unrelated areas (English Comp, Humanities, etc) would be okay from the CC level or AP exams (or even CLEP exams, for that matter) but any of the Bio-Chem-Physics courses should have been taken at the 4 year-uni level. Math is questionable, as some med school don't care abut Calc but do require Statistics.

One way around this is to take the pre-reqs at a 4 year-uni during a summer program OR via an online course (in this case, only Math could be taken online, as the Bio-Chem-Physics classes all have physical lab requirements)

Ah-hah! This might explain why, when I looked at the pre-med course track at FSU, the list of courses assumed NO prior classes, whether AP or DE. The track starts from scratch. http://www.academic-guide.fsu.edu/ If you click on the "M" for Biological Science or Biochemistry (both of these are the pre-professional medical track) you will see what I mean.

My hunch is that core classes in unrelated areas (English Comp, Humanities, etc) would be okay from the CC level or AP exams (or even CLEP exams, for that matter) but any of the Bio-Chem-Physics courses should have been taken at the 4 year-uni level. Math is questionable, as some med school don't care abut Calc but do require Statistics.

This is what I understand too. Decent 4 year U's realize what successful applicants to med school generally have and advise accordingly. It's really tough to get into med school. Why add a hindrance? When the schools we have talked with all say the same thing, and that is matched by the majority of others on boards like college confidential and here, well, we're going with the odds rather than try to buck them.

Creekland, completely agreeing with your advice here. Dd wanted to, at one time, major in pre-vet. We took the time to visit Michigan State University's School of Veterinary medicine when she was a sophomore homeschooler. They were very much interested in the homeschool part. What they were not interested in was seeing AP and CC credits for any classes that were pre-reqs for something in her major or her major. Now, had we chosen dual enrollment, she could have taken something in order to better ready herself for that same class at uni and we would not have ordered the transcript sent to MSU. But, they were quite clear...she can take a history class, or an English Lit class, or the science of pottery or whatever. Just don't AP or CC anything in the sciences and maths and try to transfer it in. They weren't even too fond of the A.A. vet techs applying to school there because they felt that the CC courses were too light. I thought that was a little mean considering that many of them would have learned a whole lot on the job as they worked in a veterinary practice. They were pretty firm and somewhat snotty about it.

Then when she switched to human medicine, it was the same song and dance. She can't AP or CLEP out of pre-reqs in the major and it hurts her chances of getting a position in pre-med or nursing if she transfers CC credits in. They like the traditional incoming no-credits freshman for these majors.

We were never in any real danger of sending her to CC because our local one is so atrocious that they couldn't pay me big money to enroll my kid. But, we were going to have her take the AP chem and biology exams. So, I'm glad we checked and saved ourselves that little fiasco and outlay of money.

Med school and B.S.N. programs are just WOW competitive.

Faith

I work weekend nights and homeschool during the week. :tongue_smilie: My dh had an Ivy League BA, but his CC science courses nearly kept him out of medical school. I would definitely counsel against using CC courses to fulfill the requirements: Chem, Bio, Physics, Organic Chem. I suspect the other requirements, ie calculus, matter less, but in general your student should take all of their pre-med requirements at a 4 year school, and get A's in all of them.

I am working tonight with a UMD grad, BA and MD, and he was *just* saying what a fantastic experience he had as both an undergraduate and med student there. So that's a strong endorsement, from one person!

• 10 months later...
Guest Aquaman

He is 18 and will have his A.S. in three months 0 from a U.S. school in KS.

His GPA is around 3.80

He is Phi Theta Kappa

Will be graduating Magna Cum Laude

I think he has to be accepted to a medical school in order to be accepted to the military medical school program - which is his desired route (not mine:glare:)

He is living at home with us in Europe - and he will be attending an American university here to start working on his B.S. - through a university here that has a branch on the U.S. military instillation near us. It is University of Maryland - any feedback on the general perception of degrees from this college?????

Does he need to take the SATs? I would think not since he will already have his A.S. in May.

Is starting his B.S. here going to affect chances of getting accepted into Medical School in the U.S?

What should he start doing now to better his odds of being accepted?

Should he complete his B.S. here before planning to apply for a Medical school?

What am I not thinking of to help prepare him for success on his college path?

Please do not flame me for asking these questions instead of him asking. He is researching too.

Thank you all so much for sharing your wisdom!

(I am posting a similar topic for my daughter)

Hello,

While looking up info about med schools, I happened to see your post. We are KS residents and my son was just admitted to KU Med. I know your post is a year old, but if you still have questions about med school, I'd be happy to answer them. I would assume your son has started college now. Most med schools prefer undergrads to take all their courses, especially in the sciences, at a four year college. Your son needs to aim for the highest GPA possible. When he is ready (end of junior or beginning of senior year,) he will need to take the MCAT. Your son can major in just about anything, but will need to fulfill the science requirements. (A lot of schools have pre-med programs and they usually detail what undergrads need to do.) http://studentdoctor.net is an excellent site and your son can join the pre-med forums. Anyway, I helped my son along the way with the application process and know a lot now.

Let me know if you are interested in more info. Good luck to you and your son!

The courses offered on military bases are UMUC (University of Maryland University College). My husband taught for them in Germany. In his experience, they are more like CC classes than university level classes. I'd ask around carefully to see if their graduates have had success getting into medical school.

A very high GPA, particularly in major courses, is absolutely crucial. My suggestion would be that he meets with the premed advisers at the university as early in the process as he can and that he works with them closely. I would also consider if you are open to a third year at university, possibly allowing him to take a greater depth of science courses to improve his odds. Also, you should know that MCAT scores are a significant part of the equation and taking prep courses is now the norm. If he's had no standardized testing experience, I would consider that practice even more important to get earlier in the process so you have an idea if that's going to be difficult for him.

• 4 months later...

Your son’s MCAT scores along with other pre-requisites will be used to determine eligibility into med school. After he graduates from med school, he will need to do his internship. If your son is keen on serving in the military, he can get a scholarship to support his medical education in a civilian medical school. He’ll need to apply to the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program. In exchange for their financial support your son will need to do military service after residency training in the army, navy or air force. I’m not sure whether it applies to all residencies, like suppose your son wants to do a pediatric residency? Get all the details first.

Please don't take this wrong, and I may be overstepping, but -- it isn't your job to get your son into medical school!

A helpful parents will give him some guidance and maybe even to do a bit of research for him, but ultimately it's your son's job to open the doors that will allow him to get into medical school.

I wish your post had read, "What should my son know about getting into medical school?" or "What kind of guidance can we give our son to help him get into medical school?"

I know this is semantics, but do give him some space. Getting into medical school is his job, not yours.

JMHO

This thread is over 15 months old so I hope the OP has already got a game plan:tongue_smilie:but I would second taking a look at College Confidential - there's a wealth of information there for premeds and their parents. There's even a subforum (or a thread - I can't remember which) just for premed parents. :)

I know this is semantics, but do give him some space. Getting into medical school is his job, not yours.

JMHO

Well, I'd say as the head guidance counselor, offering valid advice is my job, not his to have to search out on top of everything else he's doing. Whether or not the kids choose to take the advice and put the work in is up to them, but it is possible to put more hurdles in their path than necessary by making wrong choices in high school.

I see the original question as valid from a homeschooling perspective.

And I am curious as to whether or not the OP is still on the med school path.

• 1 month later...

My impression is also that MCAT scores mean a lot. My wife got her college degree in math from a minor state college at age 22, then raised our two kids primarily for the next 6 years before realizing she wanted to be a doctor. We were then at Harvard on a postdoc, so she took several chem and bio courses in the Harvard night school, an open admissions school whose mission is to serve the general public. When we returned to UGA she took some other courses there, and their excellent premed prep course, and then nailed the MCAT's. She only applied to one med school at age 33, Emory in Atlanta, and got in. Her MCAT scores were 20-40% higher than those of some optimistic applicants I spoke with, so I assumed they played a big role. After getting consideration, I felt the interview was also important and deserves thoughtful preparation. I could ask her for more authoritative info if desired.

Edited by mathwonk