Menu

covering all 7 components of intelligence

MeganW

I am reading a book right now called "Raising Musical Kids - A Guide for Parents" by Robert A. Cutietta.

He discusses intelligence as having 7 different but equal components:

1 - Verbal / Linguistic Intelligence - the ability to use words & language both written & spoken

2 - Logical / Mathematical Intelligence - the ability to use inductive and deductive thinking, numbers, and abstract patterns

3 - Musical / Rhythmic Intellingence - the ability to recognize and be sensitive to musical patterns

4 - Body / Kinesthetic Intelligence - the ability to coordinate mind and body in physical movement

5 - Visual / Spatial Intellingence - the ability to visualize an object & create mental images

6 - Interpersonal Intelligence - the ability to communicate in person-to-person situations

7 - Intrapersonal Intelligence - the ability to relate to inner states of being and spirituality

So, I am confident that we have curriculum covering the first two. The book is about developing musical skills, so I understand that. The fourth one is, I guess, athletic ability. We do a lot of extracurriculars covering that stuff.

Numbers 5, 6, and 7, I am a little less clear on. Especially number 5. Do you feel that you are developing your children in all of these areas? Specifically with regards to the last 3, HOW?

The book goes on to discuss how aptitude (natural potential) is malleable until early elementary school. After that, achievement is limited by practice/study, and aptitude.

One other random comment - I wonder why artistic ability isn't in there somewhere?

For some reason I sort of chafe at this list as different kinds of "intelligence." I'd feel better with something along the lines of "talents." What is the author's expertise? Is he a psych, or something else?

As for visualization, that is something that can be improved to some extent, so maybe those in the know will pipe in about that. Ordinarily, that's a topic that comes up in a special needs/learning issues context. See, e.g., http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229628&highlight=visualization

Without knowing more about the book, my sense is to be a bit leery of the general theory here re: aptitude.

For some reason I sort of chafe at this list as different kinds of "intelligence." I'd feel better with something along the lines of "talents." What is the author's expertise? Is he a psych, or something else?

The "multiple intelligences" theory has been around for years & is taught in university classes :)

Howard Gardner is the developer of this theory. He's a professor at Harvard, I believe in the school of education. He has done a great deal of research, though it's my understanding that some experts in the field agree with his finding and others don't. Gardner has proposed an 8th intelligence, which is one to do with nature and understanding the natural world.

Usually, these are thought of as types of intelligence rather than of components of intelligence, if that makes any sense. You wouldn't expect any individual to excel in all 7 ways. Like styles of learning, people might solve the same problem in different ways according to where their intelligence strengths lie.

I had to study all this as part of my master's degree and I admit I'm on the dubious end about it to some extent. However, it can be an interesting exercise to take a single topic, especially for something in history or science or perhaps a unit study of some sort, and try to address that topic through all the intelligences.

Learning Auslan (Australian Sign Language) improved my visual-spacial skills, but preggie brain killed most of them back off again. It takes time, but there are some things you can't talk about in a signed language if you don't know what they look like, so you gradually build this skill if you don't have it already.

For 6 & 7, conversation. Lots and lots and lots of conversation over years and years. Studying subjects like psychology, world religions, philosophy, anthropology and sociology, help, as does learning another language, I would think.

Rosie

I had to learn all about Howard Gardner and his theory of multiple intelligences when getting my education degree. To me, it actually made sense. Basically what Gardner was saying is that people are "gifted" or "naturally talented" in different ways. His complaint was that in the ps the children who tend to excel are those what have intelligences in the 1 and 2 areas (more 1 than 2). He tried to use his theory to bring it to educators' attention that just because Johnny didn't do well on his tests (something a 1 student would do well on) it didn't mean he wasn't intelligent. His "intelligence" just was strongest in a different area. For instance, let Johnny write a song to demonstrate that he learned about the American Revolution (a 3 trait) or let him act out a battle scence (a 4 trait), etc. Gardner wanted teachers to realize that a one size fits all education is not going to work! To me his theory morphs beautifully into homeschooling.

MeganW--as for your question about what 5, 6, and 7 are, let me see if I can remember from about 10 years ago :) Visual/Spatial Intelligence is the ability to be good with where things are in relation to other things. One of the signs of having visual/spatial intelligence is being really good at reading maps or having a good sense of direction. Interpersonal intelligence is someone who can easily talk to people. You've heard the saying that someone has never met a stranger. That is having interpersonal intelligence. Intrapersonal intelligence are people that really understand themselves well or want to know the why behind who they are, what they feel, etc. These are what we would call the "deep thinkers". They would most likely become the philosophers, psychologists, etc.

Most of the things I learned in my education classes were a total waste of my time, IMO. But Gardner's theory has stuck with me because I think that deep down there is some validity in what he's saying! Hope this helps.

I am reading a book right now called "Raising Musical Kids - A Guide for Parents" by Robert A. Cutietta.

1 - Verbal / Linguistic Intelligence - the ability to use words & language both written & spoken

2 - Logical / Mathematical Intelligence - the ability to use inductive and deductive thinking, numbers, and abstract patterns

3 - Musical / Rhythmic Intellingence - the ability to recognize and be sensitive to musical patterns

4 - Body / Kinesthetic Intelligence - the ability to coordinate mind and body in physical movement This goes beyond athletics. Some kids move around in order to make mental connections in content areas.

5 - Visual / Spatial Intellingence - the ability to visualize an object & create mental images Ever met a person who can "see" the potential in a room or a carpenter that simply looks and says, "That's 2 and 1/4 inches." yeah...not me :tongue_smilie:Puzzles are great training! Making maps, too.

6 - Interpersonal Intelligence - the ability to communicate in person-to-person situations Talk a lot with your child and teach them conversational skills. Have them speak to librarians, clerks, call people on the phone...it takes time to develop this, but it is certainly teachable through daily living.

7 - Intrapersonal Intelligence - the ability to relate to inner states of being and spirituality Tell them the truth about their behaviors and how those behaviors represent them and also affect others. You can help to define the inner things that make your dc who they are, not just by directing, but helping them to understand who they are naturally. Self awareness can be guided. I find home schooling offers this opportunity all the time. Here's a simple example: Johnny wants to play video games all morning and he hasn't done his bedroom chores. You talk about laziness, selfishness, and family responsibility. The first 2 are inner states and for some, are connected to spirituality. If you teach your children at a young age what selfishness, laziness, joy, et. al. are, they will be incredibly self aware.

So, I am confident that we have curriculum covering the first two. The book is about developing musical skills, so I understand that. The fourth one is, I guess, athletic ability. We do a lot of extracurriculars covering that stuff.

Numbers 5, 6, and 7, I am a little less clear on. Especially number 5. Do you feel that you are developing your children in all of these areas? Specifically with regards to the last 3, HOW? Absolutely.

The book goes on to discuss how aptitude (natural potential) is malleable until early elementary school. After that, achievement is limited by practice/study, and aptitude.

One other random comment - I wonder why artistic ability isn't in there somewhere?

artistic ability is spatial, interpersonal, intrapersonal, visual, kinesthetic, it's the fruit of many forms of intelligence.

I don't know enough about this list/study to comment too much, but to address your question about the artistic ability, I would submit that that is included in most, if not all, of the "Seven Intelligences". The Arts include such activities as communicating ideas/thoughts through writing, music, visual arts, dance, etc. I think you could make a case for each of the intelligences incorporating artistic ability.

Do you feel that you are developing your children in all of these areas? Specifically with regards to the last 3, HOW?

I don't think Gardner's Multiple Intelligences was meant necessarily as an outline to all the facets of intelligence to develop, but rather an exposition on the idea that people can be intelligent in more than one way.

Those who are obviously in the Verbal-linguistic intelligence and Logical-Mathematical intelligence categories are usually those recognized as "intelligent people," while those with Musical or Kinesthetic intelligences are recognized merely as "talented" people, and those with Interpersonal intelligence are usually just called "people person" (or more pigeon-holed as manipulative or diplomatic). What I take away from it is that I and my children (and everyone) probably have a dominant area of intelligence. Recognize this, and the value of these intelligences, and that no one area of intelligence is more valuable than another, and you will have met Gardner's intent.

Garnder's classification is only one in a myriad of schema for classifying intelligence, learning, personality, and behavioral characteristics. I think it can be helpful, especially if looked at as one layer/attribute in the complex make-up of a person's individuality.

Edited by Targhee

5 - Visual / Spatial Intelligence - the ability to visualize an object & create mental images

I think visual/spatial skills often help guide sophisticated physical activity that goes beyond immediate bodily coordination. It's what helps you navigate a grocery store, a set of hiking paths, or a crowded skating rink. It helps you put together a bookcase. It could also be the ability to create and manipulate visual representations to your satisfaction, or to meet an external requirement, like arranging felt pieces to make a face on a doll or drawing a map to help someone get to your house. Before you can act, you are able to see what you'd like to try; then you evaluate and edit as needed. This isn't coming from Gardner, just a guess.

I don't think Gardner's Multiple Intelligences was meant necessarily as an outline to all the facets of intelligence to develop, but rather an exposition on the idea that people can be intelligent in more than one way.

Exactly. It was a way to recognize talents other than academic intelligence. It is not a recipe for a complete kiddo. :001_smile:

Exactly. It was a way to recognize talents other than academic intelligence. It is not a recipe for a complete kiddo. :001_smile:

But but but but - I'm a new homeschooler! It is necessary for me to have all kinds of lists to check off to be sure I'm not screwing my kids up for life! :)

In all seriousness, thanks so much to everyone who responded - very helpful!!

But but but but - I'm a new homeschooler! It is necessary for me to have all kinds of lists to check off to be sure I'm not screwing my kids up for life! :)

Of course I know you are joking. A kid doesn't need to be strong in all of those areas. Still I am with you. For example I have a highly intelligent son who is awkward. So I sneak things in to teach him to be more coordinated (randomly skipping or drummimg etc.)

I think it's a great idea to work with your kids on areas that they might be weak. My son would have never been a musician had he not been taught. Kids won't learn to be a genius in all of those areas but I think you can help them develop skills especially if you start young.

Of course I know you are joking. A kid doesn't need to be strong in all of those areas. Still I am with you. For example I have a highly intelligent son who is awkward. So I sneak things in to teach him to be more coordinated (randomly skipping or drummimg etc.)

I think it's a great idea to work with your kids on areas that they might be weak. My son would have never been a musician had he not been taught. Kids won't learn to be a genius in all of those areas but I think you can help them develop skills especially if you start young.

I am serious about at least considering addressing each area, can't hurt right? But I am able to laugh at my paranoia, as I continue considering. I know I know I know, I need to chill out! :)

I am serious about at least considering addressing each area, can't hurt right? But I am able to laugh at my paranoia, as I continue considering. I know I know I know, I need to chill out! :)

I think trying to address each intelligence is great, especially in young children. This may be the key to understanding your children (and yourself) and what will work best for them, as well as where you will need to help them. I just would hate to see anyone knock themselves out trying to get their child at the same level of competence in each area of in intelligence (because it won't happen). Have fun!

fwiw, an eighth one was added to this list, which had to to with nature intelligence.

This theory makes a great deal of sense, but can be difficult for some to see, particularly with the way our society views education.

No one is going to be good at all 8 of these. No one, and that's okay. Most of these areas are addressed to some degree in our house as my dc grow up, but I don't expect my dc to excel in all of the ares. Something I've also noticed is that not everyone is talented in all the areas covered in one place. eg kinesthetic--some are great at dance, but not at many sports, etc. A very few are good at all of those (the fellow from Dirty Dancing was gifted in all areas of that; anything he tried he excelled in from dance to sports)

Usually people are good at 2 or 3 of these as I recall, but there are exceptions. I'd like to add, though, that those who are artistically GIFTED (I don't just mean talented; I don't think that every child is gifted, even though I think that almost everyone has talents) are always intelligent in the areas people normally think of as intellligent, even if those are masked by dyslexia or something. I no longer have the link on my new computer, but I'll see if I can find it and add it here later.

ETA http://www.artisticnetwork.net/arts/260/identifying-artistically-gifted-children.html

Edited by Karin

4 - Body / Kinesthetic Intelligence - the ability to coordinate mind and body in physical movement

5 - Visual / Spatial Intellingence - the ability to visualize an object & create mental images

6 - Interpersonal Intelligence - the ability to communicate in person-to-person situations

7 - Intrapersonal Intelligence - the ability to relate to inner states of being and spirituality

Numbers 5, 6, and 7, I am a little less clear on. Especially number 5. Do you feel that you are developing your children in all of these areas? Specifically with regards to the last 3, HOW?

i would think that no.5 is the essence of artistic ability. I believe it would be the fountainhead of creative expression in the form of stories, paintings, sculpture, architecture.

no. 6 I think is best developed by children having ample time to have conversation with caring adults who speak with them as intelligent people, not as babies...most of us hsers have that covered.

no. 7 is best developed by having a strong faith and by cultivating that faith through regular personal discipline.

Each of these areas is something most parents consider at some point for basic personal development. Except maybe for the visual-spatial one, they all appear to be basic parent common sense. Also consider that there are different developmental timeframes for these - this is not something that happens all at once. You have time.

1 - Verbal / Linguistic Intelligence - the ability to use words & language both written & spoken - certainly you'll teach your child to speak, read and use language!

2 - Logical / Mathematical Intelligence - the ability to use inductive and deductive thinking, numbers, and abstract patterns - this seems to boil down to math and logic, which you'll be teaching at the appropriate times

3 - Musical / Rhythmic Intellingence - the ability to recognize and be sensitive to musical patterns - music lessons/music appreciation

4 - Body / Kinesthetic Intelligence - the ability to coordinate mind and body in physical movement - athletics/dance/PE

5 - Visual / Spatial Intellingence - the ability to visualize an object & create mental images - this is the only one that doesn't seem very obvious. And maybe this is where art would be included, though art is more than mental - many arts involve some sort of output skill (e.g. fine motor). While visualization is a strategy that can be taught to some extent, or improved, I believe it's also true that some individuals are born with more gifts in this area than others. Unless there's some sort of academic struggle going on, LD-wise, it's not something I'd be particularly concerned about.

6 - Interpersonal Intelligence - the ability to communicate in person-to-person situations - I think this more or less happens by example, but using language is obviously a big part of this. Or maybe it's supposed to mean socialization ;)

7 - Intrapersonal Intelligence - the ability to relate to inner states of being and spirituality - matters of conscience and religion come to mind

I really, really do not think any parent needs this particular list from this particular guy (whether that's the author or Gardner). As a familiar voice once said to new parents, "Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do."

Edited by wapiti

In all seriousness, thanks so much to everyone who responded - very helpful!!

:D

Admitting it is half the battle, you know... ;) You're way ahead of most new homeschoolers.