Menu

Overlearning & Math (time to crack the whip...)

Wee Pip

I've never been good at keeping up with math fact practice for the kids. I ditched it in favor of math concepts:glare: Then the baby was born, and homeschool went to heck in a handbasket. I now realize what a HUGE mistake it was to do math facts half-baked. I also feel we're pertty behind in math. And as great as it sounds to try to catch us all up, I think we'd be missing a whole lot along the way. I've read The Core and her chapter on Math really resonated with me. I love the concept of Overlearning (Overteaching, Overpracticing). So I'm trying to figure out my plan of action. Help me hash this out:

In the past, we've used BJU 3rd edition Math, which I like, but now we will be backing up the train. So...

What if I got Math Mammoth Blue series as a download and just went through ALL addition and subtraction with the kids, and then ALL place value, and then ALL multiplication and division, starting at the lowest level and then going through one whole topic at a time. We'll spend about 1 hour per day on math, including some speed drills or flashcards. I'll probably skip Clock, Money, Measurement, etc. and just hit the basic Addition/Subtraction, Multiplication/Division topics until we're through them. And then we'll go back to a different math book, like BJU, but continue with daily drills and 1 full hour of math work. Right now, we probably spend 15-30 mins on math, and we cut a lot of corners. Anything you would change in this plan? Any suggestions on overlearning math?

:bigear: Some days I feel so tempted to do something like this. I have a feeling I haven't implemented RS very thoroughly, but backing up in RS would drive DD8 crazy, so I toy with the idea of doing exactly what you're proposing. I have no advice for you, but I'd love to hear what others say.

I've been thinking about the Kumon books, too (instead of MM). Ok, who am I kidding...I've been daydreaming about sending the kids to a Kumon center. But that isn't going to happen, so time for Plan B. Although BJU does a great job of teaching math conceptually, I think MM does this even more, so it wouldn't hurt to catch some of that aspect as well. But Kumon books (done repeatedly, with a focus on speed) I think would hit the math facts side of things quite well.

Decisions, decisions...

If it's only math facts that you feel they are behind in, can you do drills via the computer (mathrider comes to mind, my kids love it).

Math-Whizz has a free 10 day trial. It starts with an assessment. Maybe you can have them take the assessment via the free trial period. It will let you know where they are.

BJ Math (to me) seems like a mastery based with a touch of spiral, can you have the children start over, instead of purchasing a whole new workbook, use the review book or the pages on the cd that's included with the TM.

We are doing a RS break here. I don't feel he has the facts down enough, or some of the concepts either. Although, general addition he seems to be pretty good at. I just ordered CWP to give him a different perspective and was considering some of the MM books on his level as well. For now I have printed some of the MEP and CSMP material, again for a different perspective. I also, think we will take this break to focus more on our RS games.

I add drill sheets to the beginning of our math lessons. The kids do about 10 minutes of reviewing of basic arithmetic skills before their SM lessons. I use www.math-drills.com ... this week I have my eight year old reviewing long division, multiplication of one digit by two digits, adding four digit numbers, and subtracting four digit numbers.

Math Rider seems great for basic facts too! We did the trial for a week and the kids loved it and learned so much. I am still debating if want to buy it as my curriculum budget is shot:glare:.

I add drill sheets to the beginning of our math lessons. The kids do about 10 minutes of reviewing of basic arithmetic skills before their SM lessons. I use www.math-drills.com ... this week I have my eight year old reviewing long division, multiplication of one digit by two digits, adding four digit numbers, and subtracting four digit numbers.

Math Rider seems great for basic facts too! We did the trial for a week and the kids loved it and learned so much. I am still debating if want to buy it as my curriculum budget is shot:glare:.

I take a similar approach with my dd. She fills out a multiplication table for a couple minutes every day (literally takes about 2-3 minutes) and about 4 problems of division, some short and sweet and some long and involved, before going on to a regular lesson in fractions. This helps keep everything fresh for her. Maybe something simple like that instead of going all the way back with a new curricula?

If you don't think that will work, I have heard of others who've done exactly what you're proposing with great results.

One thought would be to do an online drill for the first 10 min. or so of every math period. I don't know that my kids would hold up for an hour of math every day... nor would I.

We use Math Mammoth Light Blue. She has a lot of practice in there. Instead of doing only some of the problems we do them all. I assign 2 pages a day (which in our house is plenty) and however long it takes them to do it that's math. My younger two I do math with and we do shorter math times, but I feel like there's a lot of practice with the math facts.

I take a similar approach with my dd. She fills out a multiplication table for a couple minutes every day (literally takes about 2-3 minutes) and about 4 problems of division, some short and sweet and some long and involved, before going on to a regular lesson in fractions. This helps keep everything fresh for her. Maybe something simple like that instead of going all the way back with a new curricula?

If you don't think that will work, I have heard of others who've done exactly what you're proposing with great results.

This is the method I choose, too. You can even alternate with some other drilll sheets or review concepts with manipulatives (area/perimeter, money, etc.) for your drill time. Then move foward with your lesson. I also love math-drills.com

I don't know if it's what you're considering, but I used a couple of the Kumon workbooks from Barnes & Noble with my son (subtraction Gr 2, Multiplication) and I found them somewhat useful for just drill & practice but not for what I'd consider "overteaching". I do that with Singapore IP, CWP, and Miquon.

If you're just looking for extra practice, I think the Spectrum Math workbooks do better at having more practice.

I've been thinking about the Kumon books, too (instead of MM). Ok, who am I kidding...I've been daydreaming about sending the kids to a Kumon center. But that isn't going to happen, so time for Plan B. Although BJU does a great job of teaching math conceptually, I think MM does this even more, so it wouldn't hurt to catch some of that aspect as well. But Kumon books (done repeatedly, with a focus on speed) I think would hit the math facts side of things quite well.

Decisions, decisions...

Kumon is nice, but pricey, and the spines are still (kiddo keeps pressing and pressing to get them to lay flat). This place: http://themathworksheetsite.com/ will happily give you a free trial, and I love the spacing on the pages. Sometimes I put out harder problems and work with him, sometimes I put out simple problems and leave the room. We've taken to doing a page of 15 most days, and I may try some math fact drills only to get him going a little more automatically.

For my 5 year old (1st grade for math)- we spend a good deal of time for math. Math was my fave at school and my goal is for my DS to love it just like i had. So we spend a lot of time with math.

Our day starts:

1. Singapore 1B (1 exercise),

2. then he is moving to "other" singapore 1b (the one you can buy at the book store) and doing 1 exercise too.

3. Then i give him Kumon SUBTRACTION drill for 2nd grade and he does 1 column. If he makes mistakes in 1 column he gets to finish another column. If no mistakes he doesnt have to finish additional columns

4. Then he gets to do 1 column of KUMON ADDITION for 2nd grade as well.

Thats our math. So far everything easy for him. Practice makes it easy. He spends about 30-40 mins a day for math.

I feel the same way, except I am using MUS as our spine. I realized that mathfacts are being forgotten and although he is learning new concepts, he is moving backwards in mental math. I am using the free online math drill sheets linked in the above posts to have him complete timed tests so that he can keep those skills sharp. I thought about returning to a spiral math program but I don't want to keep curriculum hopping either. I am going to finish out the rest of the year trying the combination, and at the end of the year make my decision.

I recommend the math bingo app for iphone/ipad or mathblaster via jumpstart online. I purposely avoided workbook type drills because it seemed slower as they had to write down the answers.

Yes, we did verbal until recently, and now I'm adding written, so his automaticity carries over to writing it, too. But his writing is getting smoother and less frustrating to him. He likes doing cards with me as we make faces as we go.

I am a huge fan of over learning. I think your plan would work. Keep in mind too you could use the Right Start math games to change it up, or a couple of dice can help with math facts as well. My kids play one RS game a day and all have easily learned their math facts.

Heather

I've never been good at keeping up with math fact practice for the kids. I ditched it in favor of math concepts:glare: Then the baby was born, and homeschool went to heck in a handbasket. I now realize what a HUGE mistake it was to do math facts half-baked. I also feel we're pertty behind in math. And as great as it sounds to try to catch us all up, I think we'd be missing a whole lot along the way. I've read The Core and her chapter on Math really resonated with me. I love the concept of Overlearning (Overteaching, Overpracticing). So I'm trying to figure out my plan of action. Help me hash this out:

In the past, we've used BJU 3rd edition Math, which I like, but now we will be backing up the train. So...

What if I got Math Mammoth Blue series as a download and just went through ALL addition and subtraction with the kids, and then ALL place value, and then ALL multiplication and division, starting at the lowest level and then going through one whole topic at a time. We'll spend about 1 hour per day on math, including some speed drills or flashcards. I'll probably skip Clock, Money, Measurement, etc. and just hit the basic Addition/Subtraction, Multiplication/Division topics until we're through them. And then we'll go back to a different math book, like BJU, but continue with daily drills and 1 full hour of math work. Right now, we probably spend 15-30 mins on math, and we cut a lot of corners. Anything you would change in this plan? Any suggestions on overlearning math?

I just want to commend you for seeing this and doing something about it before it's too late, like i am having to do now. My oldest is having to really work hard because "I" didn't do what i should have done.

I am now having my 11 yo do drills in addition to her math lesson so she doesnt get any further behind.