Menu

fondant question...

I'm pooped out. It's almost 9:30 here and I'm running out of steam. PDGs birthday party is tomorrow, and I've frosted her cake in prep for fondant. I'm so tired though. Can I do the fondant tomorrow? Or will there be a problem with it adhering to the cake if the frosting sets overnight? Could I somehow soften it with a damp cloth tomorrow morning and finish decorating with the fondant then?

If you have a light mister, you can spray the crusted bc lightly and then apply the fondant. Personally, I would bite the bullet and apply the fondant right away though. I just finished fondanting a cake about an hour ago so I sympathize with you. I am exhausted and my arms ache now. It reminded me that I really don't like much about fondant. :D

Well, I covered it well with plastic wrap overnight and put it in the garage (too big for the fridge...) I got up at 5:00 this morning (my husband swims on Saturday mornings and I can't sleep anyway) and decorated it. The frosting hadn't set completely so it was fine.

If I had done it last night I think I would've botched the job badly.

PS this is the mom who HATES Barbie dolls...plopping a Barbie on a cake. :/

Here's the final product:

<a href=http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5438731148_2f5303efdd.jpg' alt='5438731148_2f5303efdd.jpg'>

DSC01190 by BikeBookBread, on Flickr[/img]

Edited by BikeBookBread
Added picture

Wow! What a beautiful cake! My 5 year old dd is ohhh & ahhhhing over it & wondering why her mom is not so talented.

With you on the whole barbie thing too.

Thank you! I am NOT a cake decorator. I bought ridiculously expensive tubs of pre-made "Duff" brand fondant at Michael's. I'll probably never do piped icing again. It's like working with PlayDough!!!! It's fun! I just kneaded in the colors (I forgot to wear gloves and now my hands are stained! Ha ha ha!)

PDG bought the Barbie with her own money...I refused to buy her one, but it was a good lesson for her...I suppose. :glare:

Your cake looks amazing!

I've been eyeballing Duff's fondant myself. LOVE the variety of colors that are available! :)

Thanks! It is really easy to change the color, too -- I lightened the electric blue by kneading in white. His gel colors are really intense - much more so than Wilton, but as of now, there are only 12 colors...