Menu

Random acts of kindness - what do you do?

As the title says!

I'm trying to do more RAKs / encourage the kids to do so, and it would be great to get more ideas. What are your favorite kind things to do? Preferably not ones that cost money ($ are not so plentiful atm, and I can't really afford to give away above our normal charitable contributions).

Depending on the age of your kids and where you live, here are some no-cost ideas:

brush snow off cars

hold doors open (brainstorm ideas of stores where people often have hands full)

return grocery carts to the store

find a grocery store with do-it-yourself bagging and offer to help

in nice weather take bubbles and other appropriate toys to the park and play with other kids

find a well used jogging/biking path and cheer everyone on, give high-fives etc.

leave encouraging messages on the sidewalk

write and give notes of encouragement/thanks

take a bunch of pennies to a fountain and give away wishes

sometimes florists throw away flowers and will let you take them, get some nice ones and give them away

low cost: get half priced candy at after holiday sales and give it away

This phrase, random acts of kindness, has always bothered me. I don't do random acts of anything, if I can help it.

I try to be kind in a very intentional manner. I try to help in a way that will lift people up, not enable them in their problems. So for example, I don't toss money at homeless people on the street, I give them food vouchers so the money won't be spent on booze or drugs.

Sometimes I will try to help a person through a rough spot. I make a committment to myself to help in an ongoing way, not just a one-time thing. So not only did I get some Christmas toys for a young family in our church that is having financial difficulty, I keep an eye out for BOGO sales and give half to them, I helped the husband make contact with a local job training program, and I sometimes help give rides to get the kids to their Dr. appts. This is not random at all - it is a very concerted effort.

Of course, I don't neglect to hold the door open for a stranger or to allow the car in front of me to merge into traffic. But again, I try to make that my habit, not just a random thing that I sometimes do. I try to cultivate an ongoing spirit of kindness and compassion, not just let it be a random, kneejerk, twitch kind of thing that I would do without warning or repeat.

To me, random acts seems so senseless, scattershot and not thought through very well. Honestely, not very effective. I would much rather go with the slogan, "Live Intentionally", and do good and kind things on purpose, with forethought and reason.

Edited by hillfarm

This phrase, random acts of kindness, has always bothered me. I don't do random acts of anything, if I can help it.

I don't think you can assume that because someone uses this phrase, they don't have a spirit of ongoing kindness. I think there is a place for many different kinds of kindness: random, ongoing, planned, etc. Random Acts of Kindness are differentiated usually by the fact that they are a bit over-the-top and... well... random. They make a person smile specifically because they are out-of-the-blue and not necessarily within the realm of average mannerly behavior. I don't consider holding doors, saying thank you, things done for fellow church members, etc. to be Random Acts of Kindness. Those are just mannerly and decent behavior. Examples of Random Acts of Kindness would be: paying someone's bill in a restaurant, leaving some flowers or home-grown produce and a nice note on the door of a random neighbor, leaving quarters on the rides at the mall play area for kiddos to use, etc.

Here's how I see the difference: The other day, I was run off the road into a snow bank by a man on his cell phone who slid through an intersection. The man drove off and left me there. :glare: Immediately, a man with a plow and two men with shovels came to my rescue, as I happened to be driving through a tiny town near here. That was not a RAK, because I had an obvious need. It was gentlemanly behavior. If they had come to our home early in the morning and shoveled our drive for no reason, that would be a RAK.

I try to make sure that I am doing both. I always do the necessary and mannerly things, and I teach dc to do the same, but I also try to throw in a dash of Random Acts of Kindness.

OP, you got some great ideas from happi duck. I'd add that it's actually better to be able to give time than money, so that's a good thing to teach dc.

I encourage my kids (by instruction and by example) to have a pleasant look on their faces, smile at people, and use a kind tone of voice. I'm convinced that this is becoming more and more rare. I meet many, many "public servants" in many different settings (medical facilities, stores, Disneyland, all those places you go regularly) and I've observed just about every facial expression and tone of voice you can imagine, as I'm sure all of you have, too. It's clear to me that people, especially people in their 20s and younger (sorry, but that's my observation) have not been trained in basic manners or even how to look welcoming and polite. So, I teach my girls that every time we encounter someone, especially in brief encounters, we have the chance to inject some kindness into their days by our faces and voices.

I think the randomness in the phrase is from the perspective of the recipient not the giver. The giver was obviously not doing something random but intentional. But, to the one who receives and was not expecting it, the phrase fits.:)

While not random, these can really make an impact on children:

Visit a nursing home

Get to know the older, grandparent types in your neighborhood, and keep them company, wash their cars, bring them cookies, pull their weeds, etc

Serve food at a homeless shelter

Volunteer at the SPCA or Humane Society

etc, etc....

As for what I, as an adult, do randomly:

Pay the bridge toll for the person (people) behind me

Add an extra $5 to what I pay at a fast food restaurant and ask that they apply it to the person behind me

Leave large tips :)

Volunteer at/ do all of the above that I mentioned

I think the randomness in the phrase is from the perspective of the recipient not the giver. The giver was obviously not doing something random but intentional. But, to the one who receives and was not expecting it, the phrase fits.:)

:iagree: I always thought the random part had to do with whomever was receiving that act of kindness.

For instance, I always try to say one nice thing about someone who is helping me at a store, a doctor's office, etc., like "That is beautiful nail polish you chose." or "You have a really nice smile." Just something small and nice. It is not random for me, but it may be random for the person who has to deal with the public all day long.

For instance, the writer of the above quote (who is my friend IRL) gave me a book that she loves, and though the act appeared unexpected and "random" to me (indeed, she pulled the book out of her bag with a flourish, as a rabbit out of a hat) it was definitely intentional and has blessed me deeply. So, let's not split hairs - let's just be kind. ;)

Thanks, CAMom! :grouphug::grouphug: And for anyone who hasn't read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp....do so!

:iagree: I always thought the random part had to do with whomever was receiving that act of kindness.

For instance, I always try to say one nice thing about someone who is helping me at a store, a doctor's office, etc., like "That is beautiful nail polish you chose." or "You have a really nice smile." Just something small and nice. It is not random for me, but it may be random for the person who has to deal with the public all day long.

Yes, yes, yes to the last part! Especially if I can tell that someone is new at the job (for some reason, I seem to get a lot of people who are in training in their positions) I tell them they're doing well.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Re the word random, I was actually thinking the same thing as hillfarm. But on further reflection, I concluded that it means (for me, at least) that the act is to benefit somebody I don't know or have any sort of relationship with, and it's not something they have asked for, or would expect in the normal course of events.

I might also mean spontaneous, not in the sense of lacking thought or intentionality, but in the sense of being always on the lookout for any opportunity to help somebody, because there are always things that come up unexpectedly. Responding to something unexpected doesn't mean having a twitching kneejerk! It's just another way of cultivating a service mindset, which I guess is what I'm wanting to concentrate on at this point.

Perhaps I should call it "previously unthought of acts of kindness" ;)

I don't think you can assume that because someone uses this phrase, they don't have a spirit of ongoing kindness. I think there is a place for many different kinds of kindness: random, ongoing, planned, etc. Random Acts of Kindness are differentiated usually by the fact that they are a bit over-the-top and... well... random.

:iagree: And wasn't it a spin off of the oft-heard "random acts of violence"?

We can't afford to do anything big right now but I am teaching the kiddos that small things can mean a big difference to others.

Things they do

-- open door for others

-- take the neighbors trash cans to curb and bring them in

-- when they see people trying to get things from bottom or top shelf at grocery, offer to get it for the person

-- help the cashier at store with bagging, especially since we use reusable bags

-- smile at others, say thank you, have a good day -- you never know when a person might be having a super bad day and something that simple can make a big difference

I've thought of something else, and it is amazing how easily it can makle a person smile -

Compliment their shirt, their skirt, their dress, etc - tell them it looks lovely on them, but just to have someone notice is nice. Or tell them they have lovely eyes, or a great smile.

I notice checkers at the grocery store can look especially harried and worn out, and just by complimenting something small - sincerely - they really brighten up.