Menu

gluten free question...need help please

my SIL has been having MAJOR health problems that we think might be a gluten issue, but she doesn't like the gluten free breads and such....but I know that there are good ones out there, I just don't know which ones...can someone please tell me which mixes, bread recipes, etc that you have found to be yummy. thanks so much!!

Does she want to be tested?

It's my understanding that if she goes gluten free before the test, the test won't be accurate.

that's correct. She doesn't plan on getting tested right now becasue she has so many symptoms that she is just wanting to see if eating a gluton free diet helps in any way. But thanks.

Another option, just fwiw: I just don't eat bread. No bigs.

:iagree: Yup, that's what I do. Much better for my wallet. ;)

My kids sometimes eat Ener-G light brown rice bread, ordered by the case from Amazon.

It tastes better toasted, even if you're planning to make a sandwich with it.

my SIL has been having MAJOR health problems that we think might be a gluten issue, but she doesn't like the gluten free breads and such....but I know that there are good ones out there, I just don't know which ones...can someone please tell me which mixes, bread recipes, etc that you have found to be yummy. thanks so much!!

My dad has celiac disease (gluten allergy). It is a serious condition and, if that's what she thinks the problem is, she should be tested. If she has that, she doesn't need to just reduce her gluten, but cut it out completely. Namaste has some awesome gluten free products. There is so much available now. She should just try some and see what she prefers. Within a couple of years, everything will have to state whether or not it has glutens (kind of the way that they have to put on packaging if it may contain peanuts). There are also lots of restaurants that have a special gluten free menu (Outback, Carrabas, Chilis, etc).

I agree about getting blood work before being gf as it invalidates testing, also

toast your bread and bagels etc - everything gf tastes better toasted or right from the oven.

Also honestly if she is coming off wheat its all going to be nasty, :ack2:i suggest going cold turkey for a few weeks /months just enjoy meals with potatoes and rice instead of bread , then try out some gf breads.

we like udis too and rudis- I know they are similar names but watch out because rudis makes wheat products too- check labesl :)

I agree with all of this (except I haven't tried Rudi's). GF bread is just not the same. I went without for at least a month, and still don't eat much bread. Just way too expensive and not that yummy. :)

Just another possibility- dh is gluten intolerant but so far hasnt liked any gluten free breads (although I like them). Instead he uses flavoured rice cakes. He goes out for breakfast a couple of days a week and has eggs on rice cakes- he takes his own rice cakes with him. Tonight for dinner we ate lightly and the kids and I had avocado on toast. Dh had avocado on rice cakes.

It is possible to live without bread.