Menu

Bats

Ohdanigirl

There should be a lot on the internet now. You might check out national park sites. There's a disease that is killing off bats by the thousands and it is spreading throughout the country. Scientists are not quite sure of all the particulars yet.

This is old, but it started in the Northeast a few years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/science/25bats.html?_r=1

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/02/bats-dropping-l.html

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Death_In_The_Bat_Caves_999.html

http://www.nps.gov/maca/whitenose.htm

Books:

Amazing Bats, Seymour Simon

Bat, Caroline Arnold

The Bat Scientists, Mary Kay Carson

Bats, Gail Gibbons

Bats, Hunters of the Night, Elaine Landau

Bats: Night Flyers, Betsy Maestro

Bats in Question: The Smithsonian Answer Book, Don Wilson

Bats, Bugs, and Biodiversity: Adventures in the Amazonian Rainforest, Susan Goodman

We still love Stellaluna 'round here, too!

no books but we had bats in our house when we lived in Uganda. our neighbor had 1,000s. They flew out in groups every evening. it was wild.

we had one once that ended up on our window curtin outside our sliding door. So we got to watch him sleep and then wake up.

BATS WAKE UP SLOW SLOW SLOW, or at least this one did.

He started wiggling. Then would stretch a wing out and scratch, then bring it back, then do the same with the other, then yawn,

He finally flew away

we had one once that ended up on our window curtin outside our sliding door. So we got to watch him sleep and then wake up.

BATS WAKE UP SLOW SLOW SLOW, or at least this one did.

He started wiggling. Then would stretch a wing out and scratch, then bring it back, then do the same with the other, then yawn,

He finally flew away

We had one for a few days on the screen outside my bedroom window. We named "her" Dangle and were sad when she moved on. The best thing about having her there was watching her wake up, preen and get ready to go out at dusk.

But anyway, if you have access to Be the Creature videos by the Kratt Brothers (a series that, sadly, is no longer being made, as far as I can tell), they have an episode on bats that is wonderful. The videos are put out by the National Geographic Channel. Season 1 (I think this is the only season) is available on Netflix and includes the episode on a Mexican bat.

Terri

Ds has become fascinated with bats. We are headed to the library in the morning, and I can use some book suggestions. I am :bigear: if any of you ladies know of any good books on the subject.

Thanks.

Danielle

The Magic School House Going Batty

The Magic School Bus The Truth About Bats

The Magic School Bus Fact Finder: Bats

Bats Night Fliers by Betsy and Guilio Maestro

:)

Bats are definitely interesting creatures. There's lots of good books about bats for kids. You got good suggestions and you'll probably find more at your library. Just wanted to chime in and say that i'm actually married to Bat Man. :001_smile: My dh does bat removal for a living. Once I told someone this over the phone and she sounded so shocked and couldn't believe it. Come to find out she thought I said he did fat removal. :lol: Although, I don't know why that would be any more shocking than bat removal.

ETA: We have several of the books already mentioned. Here's another neat one: Misunderstood Bats.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Schoolexpress.com has a thematic unit on bats. I downloaded it for free, you get six of them(units) when you sign up for newsletter I think(don't quote me it's been awhile). Or you can buy it for $2. It's a cute 15 page unit with some facts, and word activity, a little bit of writing. Age range 6-8 I'd say.

ETA: here's the link for 5 free Units http://www.schoolexpress.com/ultmem01.php

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Wow. Thanks so much everybody. All my dc have been curled up with the pile of books we brought home today. It looks like we will all be learning about bats.;)

I also found that there are some bat cams online. I will look through them in the morning and post a list.

Thanks again. Ds s so excited.

Danielle

Huge bat lovers here! DS4 has requested more bat books for our next library visit too.

Kalphs - did your bat house get many bats?

It depends. There have been times we have had several and there have been times we have had few. You can tell by the amount of droppings under the bat house.