Menu

WWE, FLL, AAS, Phonics, HWT--what can I drop here?

JessieC

Hi everyone,

I am planning dd's first grade year and my first year homeschooling. I am intrigued by all these programs: WWE, FLL, AAS, and Handwriting Without Tears. We have already started afterschooling with Phonics Pathways and we do a ton of read alouds, both chapter books and picture books. So....this seems like a lot, no, as this is just language arts? What two or three things would you drop (or exchange) if it was you? DD is a bright kid, a little above her current K grade level, and reading CVC patterns and some sight words. Thanks in advance!

Jessica

Oh, well, you're no help! :)

Hey, I'm on Seacoast NH too! I have a 6yo (in half-day K this year, starting homeschool next year) and 3yo. Have you looked into the different hs groups in the area? I'm on a couple of yahoo email lists to start to put some feelers out there.

Jessica

We use all of this, except we do ETC instead of PP, for ds in 1st this year. I just wanted to chime in and say. . .even though it sounds like a lot, this is very doable. Our school has 4 full days of school, and 1 day of classes outside the house all over the place. We alternate ETC and AAS and we alternate HWT with WWE. FLL has become a "do it during meal time" lesson and the kids beg for it, so we do it a lot. That really turns into 3 language arts subjects per day, one of which is mostly orally during breakfast or lunch. I don't feel that we are behind or loosing anything by alternaing subjects with ETC, AAS, HWT, and WWE all getting done 2 times per week. I know I'm not helping either, but just wanted to let you know that it is not nearly as much as it sounds. :001_smile:

And fwiw, we love each and every one of these programs and wouldn't let go of any of them!

We also use (or have used) all of these, but used a different phonics reading program (OPG) and also added ETC.

Here's what we ended up doing, after finishing our reading.

• AAS
  • ETC
  • HWT

We switched from FLL/WWE to other programs that would take better advantage of my daughter's interests, so we're using Growing With Grammar and Write Source now.

We use all of this, except we do ETC instead of PP, for ds in 1st this year. I just wanted to chime in and say. . .even though it sounds like a lot, this is very doable. Our school has 4 full days of school, and 1 day of classes outside the house all over the place. We alternate ETC and AAS and we alternate HWT with WWE. FLL has become a "do it during meal time" lesson and the kids beg for it, so we do it a lot. That really turns into 3 language arts subjects per day, one of which is mostly orally during breakfast or lunch. I don't feel that we are behind or loosing anything by alternaing subjects with ETC, AAS, HWT, and WWE all getting done 2 times per week. I know I'm not helping either, but just wanted to let you know that it is not nearly as much as it sounds. :001_smile:

And fwiw, we love each and every one of these programs and wouldn't let go of any of them!

This actually really DOES help, thanks. I like the sound of all of them, but don't want to overwhelm my first grader.

Jessica

I have second graders and we use all of the programs you listed except AAS (is that spelling? We use Spelling Workout.

Some days it does seem like a lot. Here's what I do:

Every other day: FLL alternated with WWE.

Every other day: SOTW

Every day: Spelling Work Out, Math, child reads to me, cursive (HWT), I also use the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading w/ my one who has been slower to learn to read.

We also do Song School Latin every day.

Practice 10 mins. of piano a day (I know it's not a lot, but they're just starting out.)

I also read aloud a lot to the kids.

Dh handles science.

And, yes, I have moments where it feels like a lot. I'd take it easier w/ a first grader. I let it get a little more intense in the second grade.

I also really recommend FLL audio to play in the car.

Alley

This year for my first grader, I used HWT, WWE, FLL, and I also have AAS.

If you wanted to condense, you can get the WWE text (not the workbook) and just make up your own narrations and copywork from whatever read alouds you're doing. You'll end up rewriting everything to get it on to HWT paper anyways! I'm planning on not getting a workbook again, and doing it that way with either our history or Bible reading next year.

I'm saving AAS for when we're done with OPGTR. I think it'll be good as it reinforces the phonics rules, and to be honest, I don't have time for it right now!

It does seem like overkill when you list it all out, but really, they are super quick.

HWT - 10 mins

FLL - 5 mins

AAS - 20 mins

OPGTR - 10 mins

WWE - 15 mins

Nothing really to fret about, but I found that I couldn't keep my squirmy ds's attention through AAS, so dropped it till later. All in all now, with math and reading, our school day for grade 1 is about 1.5hrs.

Hi everyone,

I am planning dd's first grade year and my first year homeschooling. I am intrigued by all these programs: WWE, FLL, AAS, and Handwriting Without Tears. We have already started afterschooling with Phonics Pathways and we do a ton of read alouds, both chapter books and picture books. So....this seems like a lot, no, as this is just language arts? What two or three things would you drop (or exchange) if it was you? DD is a bright kid, a little above her current K grade level, and reading CVC patterns and some sight words. Thanks in advance!

Jessica

Not really they are broken into small bits.

WWE=writing instruction with some grammar reinforcement.

FLL=grammar with some writing reinforcement, but I dropped any writing in it. At the 1st grade level you only do it 2-3 times a week.

AAS=spelling, there is some overlap in dictation, but I love dictation, so my poor kids do it all. :D

HWT=Handwriting instruction and practice. The practice is light, so I don't think it is too much to do WWE copywork with it.

I could get through all of them in less than 30 mins with a 1st grader, probably less than 20 mins.

Heather

I guess it isn't as bad as I thought when you break it down like that. Also, maybe I could wait to implement AAS, maybe halfway through first grade...hmmm.

Jessica

Jessica,

Actually there are several you can delay if you want. Given I have so many one on one programs, and so many kids close in age I delay several of the. WWE can be done at double pace later, AAS can also be gone through more quickly (my oldest started AAS in 5th grade, and is not in book 5 as a 7th grader). I don't do well with things that aren't daily, so instead of doing FLL 2-3 times a week, I wait till 2nd grade then do it daily. HWT is the only one I absolutely do at grade level.

Heather

I'm planning to do much the same next year. For me, it will be:

• a phonics program (probably McRuffy)
  • AAS
  • FLL
  • WWE
  • a handwriting program (probably Zaner Bloser)

One thing I have thought about is trying to use WWE 1 at half speed. I had read numerous posts that there are large jumps in the WWE 2/3 levels, and that many second graders can't necessarily finish WWE 2 comfortably by the end of 2nd grade. (Obviously, your mileage may vary. ;))

If I alternated FLL and WWE either four or five days each week, I think we could pretty much finish FLL 1 by the end of first grade and then be on track to finish both WWE 1 and 2 by the end of 3rd grade.

I'm not even sure we'll do this; I'll probably just start next year and see how my dd progresses. But this is one possibility to make sure we don't get completely overwhelmed.

So it might look like:

phonics 15 minutes

handwriting 5 minutes

AAS 10-15 minutes

FLL or WWE 10-15 minutes

or 40-50 minutes daily total for all language arts. That sounds about right for first grade - I think?

You have just listed our first grade LA curriculum, except we used Ordinary Parents Guide for phonics. Really all of those take very little time each day, and FLL you will only do 2 -3 times per week like Siloam mentioned. It isn't too much. We're now in level 2 of everything for 2nd grade, except not doing OPGTR anymore (actually, we're about to start AAS Level 3). Sometimes I have DD do a MCP Phonics workbook page just for a little extra phonics reinforcement, however. They are all great choices! And they work very well together. Also, AAS level 1 is VERY easy. I almost wish we had skipped it.

edited to add: FLL 1 and WWE 1 (and Level 2 of each for that matter) line up really nicely if you are doing them in parallel. You will cover corresponding topics (like adjectives, or commas in a series, etc) and it is great reinforcement. For that reason, at least for me, I was glad I did them together versus having WWE lag behind. My dd has had no trouble with the jump in skills in WWE 2, but LA is her strength area.

Edited by monalisa

Hi everyone,

Jessica

I do all those for my first grader. lol We do WWE book one, FLL year one, AAS level one, and Handwriting Without Tears. ALSO I have him do Explode the Code.

Often I find it to be too much EVERY day, so I'll stagger the HWT or WWE on diff days.

Hi everyone,

Jessica

that's a lot for a first grader. Phonics Road would streamline all language arts for you, or you could go with just AAS, WWE and handwriting, if you don't want an all in one program. AAS will cover the phonics for you.

that's a lot for a first grader. Phonics Road would streamline all language arts for you, or you could go with just AAS, WWE and handwriting, if you don't want an all in one program. AAS will cover the phonics for you.

While I love Phonics Road, I disagree that PR1 will replace all of these other programs. We still use FLL and WWE as these topics are not covered in PR level 1 at all. PR2 might cover it, I'm not sure yet.

I'm doing WWE, HWT and ETC. I didn't look at HWT for anything other than actual letter formation - penmanship. Now that they're getting further along, I'll often use some cursive in the copywork that's part of WWE (as an example, they've mastered the letters for "the" so I always write that in cursive).

I am also using Lively Latin and a friend mentioned to me that she didn't bother with a separate grammar curriculum (like FLL) because LL covered grammar. WWE does some of it as well.

I should add that we're gentle starters. Schooling has gotten more involved as my children have become better readers. When I started at the very beginning, I only did Math, ETC and HWT. My older son needed a much slower transition to a full schedule.

You should see if you library has FLL and WWE - then you could see if you want both. I looked at FLL and decided I would do without. It seemed like more repetition than I wanted to deal with.

Since you asked what I would drop if it was me, I'd drop AAS. I personally don't feel that a spelling program is needed in first grade. That being said, I have heard great things about AAS (butI have never seen the program myself). I didn't implement a spelling program until 3rd grade and then dropped it after 1 year as my daughter is a natural speller, so you can take that into consideration too. Good luck with your decision!

Hi everyone,

What two or three things would you drop (or exchange) if it was you? DD is a bright kid, a little above her current K grade level, and reading CVC patterns and some sight words. Thanks in advance!

Jessica

The recs on alternating days would be a great way for you to keep each program, but not have overkill. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can get through them all once you get the hang of it all.

I was also going to suggest The Phonics Road (link in my siggy). It's outstanding.

While I love Phonics Road, I disagree that PR1 will replace all of these other programs. We still use FLL and WWE as these topics are not covered in PR level 1 at all. PR2 might cover it, I'm not sure yet.
It's a difference in philosophy. PR puts the dc in the position to have a deeper understanding of writing and sentence structure so that as they do all the sentence writing and dictation, they can begin to grasp and understand what's happening structurally and also apply what they're learning in spelling. When a child has to focus on spelling words to form sentences, it can be too much for a K or 1st grader to get in the symantics, spelling, punctuation, etc. So, with PR, your focus is on the mechanics of phonics/spelling and handwriting, then in level 2, when the mechanics are sound, then you add in the rest of language arts. As a result, you hit grammar hard in level 2 and quite honestly, lose no "positioning" as compared to using the other programs alongside PR1 b/c you're getting the same kind of work, you're just waiting a little longer to pursue it. You're not getting the poetry memorization or the repetitive parts of speech memorization you get from FLL and you're not asking a brand new speller to use words outside of their comfortable vocabulary in sentence writing (which is the case for some, not all who use dictation instead of copy work early on). All that to say, while many will continue with FLL and/or WWE while using PR1, it is not at all necessary and will be more than covered in PR2 (kind of a marathon line of thinking).

Your lineup is similar to mine. I don't think you need separate phonics if you're doing AAS though. I was doing OPGTR, but when we started AAS a few weeks ago, I dropped OPGTR. My son is already able to sound out words better than before (he was at that fourth grade level reading where you have to start sounding out some words), and we've just done level 1.

For us, here's our timing breakdown:

R&S English (grammar done orally, like FLL): 5 minutes

WWE1: 5-10 minutes (copywork Monday is 5 minutes, narration is probably 10)

AAS: 20 minutes (we could do less, but we've been doing a full step per day... plus it's fun!)

HWT: 5 minutes (we're actually doing copywork on HWT paper now that letters are formed, but previously we were doing 2 pages a day - one letter and some copywork on the facing page)

So all of that is 35-40 minutes. That's definitely not too much for a first grader. We throw in 20 minutes of math and 30 minutes of reading and that's an hour and a half to get the 3Rs in. :)

thanks for pointing that out...but it comes later in PR 2, I believe, and I guess it depends on the ability level of the student as to whether WWE and FLL would even be necessary at that point. It's a matter of preference, I suppose.

ETA I did not see Tina's post above, but this was my understanding of the program. I cannot say from experience because we are just starting with PR, but I love it so far, and so does DD.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

I would use all of these... maybe do FLL two/three times a week, not every day. You could alternate it with AAS. Really, those programs do not take much time.

We do a similar lineup for 1st grade, although not exactly the same...

Growing With Grammar (instead of FLL)

no phonics as my ds is a strong reader (we used to use PP)

Spelling Workout instead of AAS (AAS didn't work for this child)

Read, read, read and more reading!

We do handwriting through the copy work in WWE (my ds has fine motor issues so he doesn't write a lot) We did HWT though and it really doesn't take long if you do 1 or 2 pages a day.

WWE1

Language arts is the majority of my 1st graders school time!

My first grader does ETC, FLL, AAS, and A Reason For Handwriting, and recently we just added WWE1. It really doesn't take long, although he has very good printing skills that continue to develop beautifully (I think because of all the practice he gets!).

He also reads aloud to me for 15 to 25 minutes each day.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something in my 1st grader's line-up, but I use pretty much what you've got planned, except less :D

I use PP for phonics and spelling at this point. I make a notebook page for each new sound and DS copies 3 words from the page, circling the letters which make the featured sound. I'm going to make a weekly spelling list starting next week for him, too.

He knows how to write all his upper-case letters (HWT) and learned lower-case before Christmas. I had tried to do WWE with him before he knew his lower-case letters well and it was too much. I put off doing WWE, but kept up with the FLL. He writes whatever is required of him in FLL, but not much else.

Hmmm, maybe it's time to pick up WWE again now that his lower-case letters are learned...

:)

I guess it isn't as bad as I thought when you break it down like that. Also, maybe I could wait to implement AAS, maybe halfway through first grade...hmmm.

Jessica

I would not delay AAS because it works so well with reading and phonics. Once my son started AAS his reading really took off because he was learning the phonic rules from both sources. I agree that it really doesn't take as long as you might imagine. I alternated WWE and FLL and then I dropped WWE because I have the first version of FLL which included narrations and copywork. We also do dictation with AAS and narrations with history and science. I might start WWE again in 3rd grade when I switch our grammar program, but AAS is the last thing I would drop or delay.

Hi everyone,

Jessica

I've owned all of them (except PP) and decided I didn't need wwe, fll, or aas.

Teach her to read. If PP does the job then keep that. I used Ordinary Parent's Guide.

Teach her to form her letters. We zoomed through HWT workbooks 1-3 before 1st grade because it was easy for my dd. And we really didn't need to do all three.

After HWT, instead of WWE I make up daily copywork using a sentence from one of the books we're reading and print out a page from zaner-bloser online.

Grammar can wait until 2nd or 3rd grade. I didn't see the point in learning things that were not necessary yet. I do make up memory work for her though, poems and scripture.

A natural speller doesn't need AAS, and at this point in the game you probably don't know if it comes naturally or not. I do use R&S's phonics workbooks to review phonics rules.

HTH!

thanks for pointing that out...but it comes later in PR 2, I believe, and I guess it depends on the ability level of the student as to whether WWE and FLL would even be necessary at that point. It's a matter of preference, I suppose.

ETA I did not see Tina's post above, but this was my understanding of the program. I cannot say from experience because we are just starting with PR, but I love it so far, and so does DD.

You also start dictation in week 14 of PR1, so that heads in the right direction, too :)