Menu

Does ANYONE like Writing Strands?

bizzymomof5

I have books3,4,and 5 but have never really used them. It seems like most every strongly dislikes it.

Is there anyone out there who likes or even loves it?

I have 4 children in 7th -10th grades. I own IEW SWI-C as well as the TWSS. I am just one of those people that while I love what I've seen so far with IEW (units 1-3) I don't love having to pop in a dvd, make sure they have their materials, watch the TWSS for myself, etc. It seems like to many components and things feel like they are just swirling around in my head. Because of my personality or whatever, it ends up not getting done. I was thinking Writing Strands would be more open and go. Maybe not exciting but would it get the job done?

So....anyone LOVE it?

Thanks,

Tracy

We did not like them, but many people do. I have found people either love or hate WS. I say try it for awhile and see how it works!

My kids do better with more structured textbook style like Hake or BJU.

Before I gave it a go, I researched WS to death. Called the company, who are very helpful, and really RILY tried to make WS work. but it just did not....

Choosing a curriculum that is done daily over another that is too (fill in the blank) and sits on the shelf is always a better choice.

I have books3,4,and 5 but have never really used them. It seems like most every strongly dislikes it.

Is there anyone out there who likes or even loves it?

I have 4 children in 7th -10th grades. I own IEW SWI-C as well as the TWSS. I am just one of those people that while I love what I've seen so far with IEW (units 1-3) I don't love having to pop in a dvd, make sure they have their materials, watch the TWSS for myself, etc. It seems like to many components and things feel like they are just swirling around in my head. Because of my personality or whatever, it ends up not getting done. I was thinking Writing Strands would be more open and go. Maybe not exciting but would it get the job done?So....anyone LOVE it?

Thanks,

Tracy

We've only used WS2, but it was great. No issues.

:iagree: I have been happy so far. I have WS 3 for when we finish this book in a couple of weeks. It's not my ds's favorite, but he hates writing anything....he tries to get out of writing his last name on his paper even, lol!

We've only used WS2, but it was great. No issues.

Susan

I do WS2 once a week (WWE the rest of the time) and have found it to be an adaptable spring board for introducing other things. I consider curriculum which introduces us to things we then encounter in other parts of life especially useful.

I don't follow it strictly, but use it to "stretch the imagination". I don't really have any other thing I use (besides art) that does this, so I'm glad to have some added in. HTH.

My boys hated it, but it's working okay for dd. I'm not exactly doing it as written, though. I think the boys hated it because they had to keep rewriting the same sentence about the pencil over and over again. I'd be frustrated too. So I'm tweaking it with dd, asking her questions, having her write down words, then turning them into sentences. I can't say that I love it, but we're getting through it.

Just an idea for IEW, though. I couldn't bring myself to spend so much money on the dvd's, so I just bought the theme based writing books, and my 12yo has been doing well with those. Maybe that would work better for you than the TWSS.

Thank you everyone! We went ahead and started this week and so far so good. My two oldest are actually doing really well with no complaints. :)

The WS people advised me to start my two oldest in WS 3 so as not to miss important parts of the program. She said to have them go through it quickly and move on to book 4, slowing down when they get to book 5. I have them doing one full lesson/unit per day. (They are 15 and 16 and enjoy writing creatively but haven't had to do much with structured writing.) They are doing great! :D

Thank you again for all your encouragement.

Tracy