Menu

Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature?

BBG580

Yay or nay? My kids love, love, love the Berenstain Bears so I thought it might be worth the $25 just b/c it would interest them, but still looking for thoughts before I order.

Definitely! We loved it! I have a friend who took one look at it and said it was not for her. I think it had to do with the worldview, which I only found prevalent on a few pages and just skipped those.

The issue some of us, like myself, have with the Berenstain Bear books is that the father is put down a lot, or made to look dumb. We like this book because it was not as bad as some of their other books. Lets just say, that many of their books are not very respectful of the father figure.

Ah...gotcha.

• 1 year later...

My kids LOVE it. That said, our copy did fall apart pretty fast - and it was kept "up" with the school stuff where the kids didn't have free access to it all the time. I didn't think about complaining to SL, but I'm just going to have it spiral bound at Staples.

We had the Almanac (one of the three books included) when I was growing up and I was never not fascinated by it, and my two-year-old just sat still for a complete reading of my old copy by my dad.

It's one of my favorite children's science books ever. P.S. If you want to "look inside," check out these links:

The Bears' Almanac

The Bears' Nature Guide

The Bears' Science Fair

I wish there were science books more like these--fun illustrations, readable prose, age-appropriate information, not too overwhelming and busy. Any suggestions from more experienced teacher-moms?

Edited by kubiac

We used it for sonlight. My kids still look at it a lot. It is a very good BB book. I found each of the 3 books individually for about $3 each. You could try that route if you don't need it to be "shiny & new"

There will be a new one out in January published by Dover.

They stand by the quality of their books. I can personally vouch for their excellent customer service in this regard, even if you bought it elsewhere.

(ETA: I am referring to the binding, not the contents.)

Edited by stripe

Ours has been sitting on my shelf for six months because every time I look at it, I'm never quite sure where I want to start or what I want to do with it. I personally prefer some of the Usborne books, but this one does look more accessible for kids. I'll give the Big Book another crack after reading all your enthusiastic praise!

Yes, there was a binding issue with the books SL sold. Ours came with the 4/5 core and the binding did fall off fairly quickly. HOWEVER, SL must have received so many complaints about it that year, that they just mailed a new book w/o any complaint or inquiries on my part. In fact, it didn't even occur to me to complain because we read the first book so many times right away that I just figured we wore it out. The second book has held up beautifully, so in my experience, the problem with the binding was solved.

We love it too! Mine fell apart as well, it was purchased 2 years ago, wonder of they've made it better and would replace it?

I don't think Dover's edition has been published yet, but perhaps the publisher of your edition would? Except that it's out of print from previous edition so I am not sure.