Menu

Can we talk stinky feet for a minute?

DH wears his hiking-type boots till they literally fall apart before he buys a new pair. Normally they are not stinky unless you get up close and personal with them. However, recently his shoes/feet stink horribly! He comes home, takes of his boots and suddenly the whole room smells of very stinky feet. The only thing different about this pair I can think of is that he bought insoles a few months ago because he has some pain when walking a lot. Could they make shoes stinky? Is it likely something else? What can be done to make his shoes/feet not stink (other than buying new shoes)? :confused:

Get him some new feet. ;)

Cat

PS. I know they sell odor-removing things at Walmart that look sort of like tube socks stuffed with something-or-other, and you're supposed to stick them inside the shoes overnight to remove the odors. I don't know how well they work, though.

Does he have more than one pair? I buy my husband at least two sets of shoes so one pair can air out for 24 hours while he wears the other pair. This helps a lot with odor.

Antibacterial soap/wipes/gel can help eliminate odor on the feet quickly.

Here's what I was told to do and it worked for me...

Get a spray bottle and fill it with full strength 70%

isopropyl alcohol. First you can spray the inside of the shoes until wet then let them air dry. If you are about to wear the shoes, spray the inside of shoes and the bottom of your feet. Put the shoes on while shoes and feet are both wet with the alcohol. Yes it is squishy, but as it dries while you walk in them, the smell goes away. Not immediately, but after just a few uses.

Freeze the shoes. Dh and I do this once a week with our boxing gloves and it totally eliminates the odor, even from dh's gloves )that have actually made me vomit from the horrendous smell). I put them in a large bag and put them in our deep freeze for 24 hours. I think it must kill the odor producing bacteria that like all that sweat.

And it probably is the inserts causing your dh's feet to sweat more than usual, which will increase the smell.