Menu

developing fine motor skills in 6 year old

I've been working on this a lot with my ds 6. Coloring (he has liked to color pre-cut shapes), dot to dots, geoboard with elastic bands, scissor cutting (preschool workbooks), helping to measure things with cooking or baking. Also, tracing shapes, playing with putty, playdough, tug of war, thumb wars, spinning small tops, legos, writing/drawing on the wall (paper or whiteboard). Lots of pre-writing skills, like tracing lines and I think piano has helped a lot too!

I've been working on this a lot with my ds 6. Coloring (he has liked to color pre-cut shapes), dot to dots, geoboard with elastic bands, scissor cutting (preschool workbooks), helping to measure things with cooking or baking. Also, tracing shapes, playing with putty, playdough, tug of war, thumb wars, spinning small tops, legos, writing/drawing on the wall (paper or whiteboard). Lots of pre-writing skills, like tracing lines and I think piano has helped a lot too!

I'm doing a lot of this with mine, but our OT also suggested picking up pom-poms with tweezers and we use this http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-5803-Scatterpillar-Scramble/dp/B001R6ATZW

I'm doing a lot of this with mine, but our OT also suggested picking up pom-poms with tweezers

Dd5's OT used this activity too (when dd5 was 3 & went to speech & OT).

On this subject, my dd4 (almost 5) has some need for this development too, and I got her some beads to string and things like that. There is nothing wrong with her imagination, because she quickly tires of stringing the beads or whatever and decides they are creatures and plays with them. I don't want to push her too much with it, guess it will come.

We have a teacher store nearby that has lots of school craft supplies. I bought some foam beads, plastic laces and plastic needles.

Great list--I'd add plastic canvas, yarn & plastic needles.

Edited by gardening momma

You've gotten some great suggestions! Here are a couple more...

-wheelbarrel walking (I have kids wheelbarrel walk across the floor then do something at the end that requires them to go on one hand like putting toys into a container or shapes in a puzzle...make sure hands face forward rather than to the sides to be sure elbows are not locked)

-playing with Playdoh or putty- rolling snakes, pinching, hide small objects in the putty for him to find.

-if you can find one of those pens that vibrates you can have him write with it.

-use a wider pencil or use a rubber grip on the pencil

-trace letters with finger in sand or on sandpaper

You've got all the basic fine motor suggested already. I want to second (third) the suggestion to improve gross motor. A child needs upper body strength and control to be able to do fine motor activities. At home do things like wheel barrow walking. (I'm sure there are books on activities and games for upper body gross motor, but I don't have one to list here). If you do activities outside the home, look at gymnastics, swimming, maybe tae kwon do.