Menu

Facebook disables homeschoolers' accounts??

My dd14 went to login to her FB account and found it disabled. When we clicked the link it went automatically to network FAQ stuff, so apparently she's been hit by the whole "doesn't have a high school network" thing. She's had her account for a year, and now this?!?

Sure, I could restart her one and make her 'eighteen' - but I'd rather not. Plus, she wants her account back! It's filled with friends and photos, it's how she communicates with everyone in youth group, etc.

How in the blazes do you CONTACT them? I've been looking everywhere and I can't find anything other than stupid FAQ things, some of which go nowhere.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you FIX it???

She's so upset. :(

I searched and found the old thread about it - but it just looks like everyone arguing over whether facebook does this. Obviously they do, as they just did it to my daughter -- when she tries to login, it says she's disabled and keeps showing her the network FAQ thing (which goes nowhere).

I've tried emailing disabled@facebook.com - which does appear to be some type of active email account, as I got this automatic reply (it was immediate, so it's obviously automatic):

Hi,

The Facebook Team has received your inquiry. We should get back to you soon. In the meantime, we encourage you to review our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (http://www.facebook.com/terms.php) for more information.

Thanks for contacting Facebook,

The Facebook Team

And no, she can't just join the local high school network - I believe you need a high school affiliated email or something, or someone to 'verify' that you attend there.. she has neither. We don't know ANYONE who attends any of the high schools here in our town. And she doesn't go there, so it would be a lie.

She had no network listed at all. That was fine for a year. This is WEIRD.

I've heard of this happening before. Might want to do a search on the boards. I do believe the person got their account back, but it was a pain in the rear. What if someone chooses not to reveal their school at all...I just don't get it either.

Yeah. I don't get that either. How the heck does giving more information about a minor make them safer? And any idiot adult can figure out the local schools and just select it, it doesn't mean they are actually a student there. The fact that any home schooler can do it, clearly illustrates that point.

It's just stupid.

But none of my kids have FB accounts. Even if they did, they aren't on the Internet enough to do much with it.

I've tried emailing disabled@facebook.com - which does appear to be some type of active email account, as I got this automatic reply (it was immediate, so it's obviously automatic):

Hi,

The Facebook Team has received your inquiry. We should get back to you soon. In the meantime, we encourage you to review our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (http://www.facebook.com/terms.php) for more information.

Thanks for contacting Facebook,

The Facebook Team

...I also sent a copy of the email to info@facebook.com and support@facebook.com but who knows if those are any good.... no auto replies...

Oh - when I initially sent the email, I sent it as a parent from MY account, and a bounceback came and said:

Hi,

Our records indicate that there is no disabled account associated with the email address you are using to contact us. If you are referring to another account that has been disabled, please contact us directly from the email address you use to log in to that account.

If you're writing on behalf of your child or a friend, please ask them to write to us from their Facebook login email address. For security and privacy reasons, we will not be able to correspond with you about the account. Facebook is forbidden by federal and many state laws to take any action on or release any information regarding a user's account to anyone who is not the account holder. All users ages 13 and older are considered authorized account holders and are included in the scope of this policy.

If your inquiry is not related to a warning or a disabled account, please visit our Help Center at http://www.facebook.com/help.php

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

..So I 'reworded' the email from her POV and sent it from her account.

I hope they FIX this. She's very, very upset. :(

My sons account (he's 17) was dissabled. He did not have a high school listed. When he went to log in one day he discovered that they closed it due to thinking it was a "fake account". It was really easy to get it back though. I just clicked on the email that said click here if you believe this was deleted inacurately or something like that. I clicked it and asked why his account had been deleted and that I wanted to keep it. The next day it was working again. We just put in that he was a member of a nearby christian school in our area. So far, no problems. Wish I could remember it in full details. It just happened about 2 weeks ago.

I really don't think it had anything to do with homeschooling. I think they are watching accounts of people under 18 closely.

I just had to contact them (I googled for how to contact them...it's not easy to find). They reinstated her account and commented that she needed to post pics and use it more so it didn't look suspicious. Whatever! She has tons of pics and uses it every other day.

Good luck!!

I really don't think it had anything to do with homeschooling. I think they are watching accounts of people under 18 closely.

I just had to contact them (I googled for how to contact them...it's not easy to find). They reinstated her account and commented that she needed to post pics and use it more so it didn't look suspicious. Whatever! She has tons of pics and uses it every other day.

Good luck!!

It isn't about homeschooling; it's a "verification" to prevent false accounts of older people pretending to be "young people". However, it creates other issues.

Good luck!!

It isn't about homeschooling; it's a "verification" to prevent false accounts of older people pretending to be "young people". However, it creates other issues.

Blarney. It doesn't verify a dang thing. You can click any school and that doesn't verify anything other than the user knows how to click with the mouse.

Good luck!!

Bc of course posting more and putting up pictures is a great way to make minors more secure. What bs.

It sounds like FB is just fishing to make minors more active in FB.:glare:

It *is* 'about homeschooling' - because the issue is that the homeschooled students do not have a high school network listed. Why do they not? Because they're homeschooled and are NOT part of any high school networks. (Most of them.)

When dd14 went to login, the disabled message on the screen specifically linked her to the network FAQ, showing (I assume) that it's a network issue. Unfortunately, the FAQ was useless as the one question that dealt with homeschooling was a dead end. (It went nowhere - the link was no good anymore.)

The whole thing is dumb - the onus should be on PARENTS to ensure that the kids are safe online..not on a social networking company to provide this this these and that restriction. That's really a different topic anyway though. :p

This happened to my sons also. There was a link to click if you thought it was deleted by mistake. They fixed it right away, and my sons never even considered adding high school info...

Good to hear they reinstated it right away. :) There wasn't any link like that on her login page, just the disabled message and the link to the network FAQ that went nowhere. Hopefully the emails will have the same effect.

Update: found this email now in dd14's email.....

Hi,

In order to receive support, you must reply to this email to verify that you are the owner of the Facebook account that you referenced in your inquiry. This security step must be completed before Facebook can respond to your inquiry.

In addition, note that Facebook will only be able to provide assistance if you are writing in from the email address that you used to log in to your Facebook profile that's disabled. If your disabled profile was registered under a different email address, then you will need to respond directly from that email address. To do this, take the following steps:

• Copy the exact email address you see in the "From" field of this email (ending in @support.facebook.com).

• Log in to the email account under which your disabled Facebook profile was registered.

• Compose a new email. Paste the address you copied (ending in @support.facebook.com) into the "To" field, let us know you're responding from your disabled email address in the body, and click "Send."

Once we have this information, we will take further steps to assist you. Remember that writing in multiple times will not result in a faster response. Once you submit your initial request, it is placed in a queue and responded to accordingly.

Lastly, you may not create another account using a different email address while you are waiting for a response. Creating more than one Facebook account is a violation of our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, and violations of this rule could result in all of your accounts being permanently disabled.

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

The kinda silly thing? We did indeed email from her connected account. If they'd just checked that, they'd have seen... but instead, they write us back ASKING if we did. Durr!

As far as I know, email addresses are *NOT* needed to join high school networks, because very very few (public) high schools issue email addresses to all of their students. Facebook members who are over 18 cannot join high school networks, though they can remain in them if they had previously joined them. (I left my high school network and was unable to rejoin it.) *College* networks DO require an email address.

Unfortunately I don't have much other advice. Hopefully FB is able to help you. I have at least one sibling with a Facebook who is not actually old enough to be in high school, and that sibling's profile is fine...so it appears to me that the old "must have a high school network" thing is no longer present. Also, networks have practically disappeared as it is...

I do find it iffy that they would tell anyone to add more pictures, especially someone who is underage. I can think of plenty of reasons why the owner of a perfectly legitimate Facebook would *NOT* want to add many photos to their Facebook account!!!

My oldest daughter has also had her account disabled numerous times. We've contacted them and each time, they've reactivated it. They've made the reactivation process a whole lot easier than it used to be!

They told us last year that they have some automated software designed to detect fake accounts, and for some reason, her account keeps getting "caught" by the software. She has "Homeschool" listed as her high school.

My oldest daughter has also had her account disabled numerous times. We've contacted them and each time, they've reactivated it. They've made the reactivation process a whole lot easier than it used to be!

They told us last year that they have some automated software designed to detect fake accounts, and for some reason, her account keeps getting "caught" by the software. She has "Homeschool" listed as her high school.

I wonder what the software looks for? Keywords, specific actions, etc.. would be nice to know so we can avoid it if that's the case!

Do the emails I've posted (in green) look like what you/she has had during the process? Just wondering if we're on the right track here...

OP, here is that info from the old thread on how to contact Facebook:

By Snail Mail:

Facebook, Inc

1601 S. California Ave

Palo Alto, CA 94304

By Phone:

650-543-4800

They do not offer phone support. You will get a recording with info and/or options.

Facebook is a large company. Facebook.com has over 200 Million active users so I’m sure it would be impossible to handle phone support for such a large user base or even to answer all emails. I think your best bet for most situations is probably to submit a bug report. I hope these options help!

disabled@facebook.com

appeals@facebook.com

OP, fwiw, my dd's account was taken down twice: once because they said they thought she was not using it enough and the second time because they thought she was not a real person. (I gave birth to her and she lives here with me. I can attest to her 'reality'. ;) ) She followed the steps in the email and got it back within a day or so.

If it is ever happens for the "you must be a homeschooler'' reason I'll use the above info.

HTH. :)

OP, here is that info from the old thread on how to contact Facebook:

By Snail Mail:

Facebook, Inc

1601 S. California Ave

Palo Alto, CA 94304

By Phone:

650-543-4800

They do not offer phone support. You will get a recording with info and/or options.

Facebook is a large company. Facebook.com has over 200 Million active users so I’m sure it would be impossible to handle phone support for such a large user base or even to answer all emails. I think your best bet for most situations is probably to submit a bug report. I hope these options help!

disabled@facebook.com

appeals@facebook.com

OP, fwiw, my dd's account was taken down twice: once because they said they thought she was not using it enough and the second time because they thought she was not a real person. (I gave birth to her and she lives here with me. I can attest to her 'reality'. ;) ) She followed the steps in the email and got it back within a day or so.

If it is ever happens for the "you must be a homeschooler'' reason I'll use the above info.

HTH. :)

Somehow, the idea of 'phoning facebook' is ... strangely funny. :p

Such strange reasons they gave your daughter! My dh rarely ever logs into his account and there are CATS on facebook. :laugh:

Glad she got hers back; hopefully my dd will as well. Still waiting on more emails or a reactivation. She was all frazzled today because a huge amount of info with details for an upcoming youth event was all in there -- the youth had been planning some stuff and communicating via FB, so she didn't have any of the dates, times, locations, people, etc available. Very frustrating!

Is this only for minors? I don't have anything listed in my work or education lines either.

Do you think they are looking for the word 'homeschool' in the education field? There are no options I see, just a blank box to type in education information.

I don't think there's any requirements for adults to be in specific networks.. I think the only one I'm in is for location, as I don't have a place of employment (unless my kitchen counts!:D ) or anything to list for colleges and such.

Somehow, the idea of 'phoning facebook' is ... strangely funny. :p

Such strange reasons they gave your daughter! My dh rarely ever logs into his account and there are CATS on facebook. :laugh:

Glad she got hers back; hopefully my dd will as well. Still waiting on more emails or a reactivation. She was all frazzled today because a huge amount of info with details for an upcoming youth event was all in there -- the youth had been planning some stuff and communicating via FB, so she didn't have any of the dates, times, locations, people, etc available. Very frustrating!

Yeah, one thing I meant to tell you is that my dd doesn't use her picture on her FB profile pic. She uses a drawing of a character, so maybe THAT is why they thought she wasn't 'real'.

Dd read your reply and said,"cats aren't real people''. Very astute, dd,.....very astute. :001_smile:

My dauchsund, though, now SHE needs her own FB profile! :lol:

ETA: Yes, calling FB on the phone WOULD seem weird,but the first option on my list was SNAIL MAIL!! Now THAT would really be kickin' it old school! lol

Update: her account is back this morning :D and this is what the (again very form sounding and ridiculous) email we found in her box said:

Hi,

Your account was suspended because Facebook’s security systems detected conduct that could be associated with fake accounts. Please be aware that certain account actions (e.g., becoming friends with people you know, adding photos of yourself, sending messages to your friends) can help indicate genuine behavior, and can prevent this from happening again. These actions also help you share and connect with the people around you.

We have reactivated your account, and you will now be able to log in. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide additional information about this security system. If you successfully access your account and the matter is resolved, no further action is needed. Please reply to this email only if you continue to experience an issue.

Thanks for your understanding,

The Facebook Team

So look at that -- who was saying that FB told them to post more photos? There it is!

..and crazy ridiculous in this case, as dd14 has LOTS of photos, LOTS of friends, and sends messages/writes on walls/tags/comments/etc EVERY DAY. She's way more active than I am on mine, and makes dh look like he doesn't even have one. Y'know?

Given that it automatically sent her to the school network FAQ (which had the homeschooled link that was a dud), it's obvious what the "conduct" was. Lack of a high school network! :drool:

So - for anyone else whose teen has this happen.. the address that we had success with was: disabled@facebook.com (make sure your teen writes from the email they used to set up the account, and either writes the email his/herself or you write it from his/her POV because they won't communicate with parents. Only the account holder.

support@facebook.com is written online in a few places - that's no good. it fires back a failed delivery message.

• 2 weeks later...