Menu

Home Buying Q 4: Bedroom floors ~ expose wood OR recarpet.....wwy say?

Home Buying Q 1: decorating/painting, etc to sell a home.

Home Buying Q 2: ranch vs. 2 story home...wwy say?

Home Buying Q 3: older home vs. newer home....wwy say?

Home Buying Q 4: bedroom floors ~ expose wood OR recarpet....wwy say?

Above are the last three home buying questions. Now, here is the most recent one.

We have 3 bedrooms: master bedroom for dh and myself, dd's bedroom and a guest br. Dd's room is hardwood that flows/matches down the hallway, steps and into living room and dining room.

Master bedroom and guest br actually have OLD carpet. I called a wood refinisher to come over today as I couldn't tell if what I was looking at was wood or something else...after I pulled a corner back. He said both of these bedrms do have hard wood floors under the carpet!! Unfortunately, they were not stained, but were polyurethaned. :confused:

As you remember, we are decluttering, sprucing, updating, fixing, etc to sell our house and buy another.

Would you recarpet those 2 bedrooms? Or, when we pull that carpet up, would you stain the floors and keep those bedrooms as having wooden floors as well?

Both choices will cost....either new carpet/pad/installation OR this wood refinisher man. I would prefer hardwood. My dh likes to have something soft under his feet in the bedroom....and I do like that too. But, hardwoods are hardwoods. However, the only place we would then have carpet in this small split level, would be in the lower level which include: steps leading down, family room and extra room we are using as an office. And, of course our kitchen off the dining room will have stone tile in place.

Carpet for these 2 bedrooms (carpet, padding, installation, etc).... don't know

Wood refinished: the man quoted me $700.

What do y'all say?

Thanks!! Sheryl <><

PS...We are on a budget and are careful spenders. We will do alot of this work ourselves, and while we can pull up the carpet and save $100 by doing so, we will not be staining ourselves or doing any of the other "wood" work....just the carpet removal.

Edited by sheryl

I much prefer hardwood in bedrooms. It's best for allergies and new carpet fumes are poor for anyone's health. Your husband could do an area rug if he'd like. My husband just puts his slippers by the bed. Beyond that, hardwood resells much better in our area. You can rent a sander and refinish floors yourself.

That said, am I understanding you're going to sell this soon or this is the home where you plan to remain? If you're selling it soon I'd ask a Realtor in your area which will better pay off. It might be that carpet would be cheap enough to offset any increases hardwood would bring in value so it might be better to carpet if you're not remaining. In our area (well, in the "old" real estate market/things may have changed) hardwood was the better option for resell.

Edited by sbgrace

Got 'cha. We're selling this house. Here people are upgrading to keep hardwoods as much as possible. I'm just not sure if "most" of the house in hardwoods would be appreciated by prospective home buyers OR if they are like my dh and prefer to have carpet under them.

Still, I'm with you, that hardwoods would "usually" sell faster.

Ah! Hubby and I would buy the hardwood. We'd be installing/refinishing if there was carpet so we'd be figuring that as an additional cost.

I'd ask a Realtor's opinion if you have one. Ideally, one would come in and suggest what to change or not change for you even aside from carpet. They do that here anyway.

When we were seeing houses the Realtor's always pointed out when there was hardwood under carpet.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm thinking about how you would want your house to "show."

Mis-matched carpet is a "thumbs-down" -- especially if one is old and one is new (I don't know how different/old/worn the other carpets are). Also, if people know there are hardwoods under the carpets, they may wonder if they are damaged because you chose to cover them rather than expose them.

Personally, I think the house would "show better" overall with the exposed hardwood (meaning, faster, better offers).

The cost of the carpet will depend upon what is chosen... you can get carpet installed for a couple hundred dollars ($5/sq. ft.... for the cheap stuff, assuming you have 10x10 rooms). Cost-wise, it's hard to beat carpet.

How old is the house? How well insulated? I'm a die hard hardwood floor lover. I've wanted hardwood since I was a kid. But when we redo these floors, we're going to do carpet in the bedrooms. We noticed immediately when pulling up the yucky old carpet that it was *cold* in the room. And it used to be great for sound. Now you can hear much more ofwhat's going on inother rooms.

How old is the house? How well insulated? I'm a die hard hardwood floor lover. I've wanted hardwood since I was a kid. But when we redo these floors, we're going to do carpet in the bedrooms. We noticed immediately when pulling up the yucky old carpet that it was *cold* in the room. And it used to be great for sound. Now you can hear much more ofwhat's going on inother rooms.

Oh Scuff, that's so true. You're always good with suggestions....hey, "Scuffisms"...:D I like that.

The house is 1967 and I bet it will sound different. Now, we live in the se and this house stays mighty warm upstairs. Still, hardwood floors will more than likely make it feel cooler...never thought of that.

So, do you think what the previous poster (sorry, forgot your name) suggested of an area rug would be a good middle ground?

We have hardwood in most of this house, and in all of our first house. Our second house had almost all carpet. 2nd house was much quieter, but I still love my hardwoods. We have area rugs in most rooms.

In the master bedroom, the area rug that is in there is too small, and is on my list of things to replace. Dh has carpet on his side of the bed, but I don't on mine. I wear my slippers all the time, and drop them at the side of the bed, ready to put back on again.

If it were my house, there would be no question - expose the wood.

Hardwood especially since your DD already has hardwood. It will match better and buyers might assume that the other 2 bedrooms don't have hardwood underneath b/c it makes more sense for grownups to have hardwood floors than kids. If you do decide to recarpet, I'd recarpet everything and have your realtor list "all new carpet." I agree with the PP who says it shows better.

We are in contract on a house and plan to yank out all the carpet the day we close. My kids and I have allergies and its easier to have washable rugs than deal with carpets.

Christine

I would go with the hardwoods. Potential buyers are more likely to find hardwoods to be an "upgrade" even if they prefer carpet (in which case they could easily lay it themselves and get exactly what they want). As a buyer, I would rather have to lay carpet over hardwood than to have to either "deal" with new carpet that isn't what I want or have to pull up new carpet that didn't fit my style.

I was an Interior Designer in my former life... please don't take my comments as though "I" would actually pull up new carpet! It is just something I've seen happen more often than you would expect .

I'd definitely go with hardwood. We just remodeled a first floor after a fire, refinished the hardwood and put in hardwood in the kitchen (pictures here). We have area rugs in the living room and dining room and throw rugs in the kitchen and the floor is not cold (SD winters- it's been sub-zero all week).

I would check around and get another estimate on refinishing. We had one for $1200 for 4 bedrooms and a small hallway.

I'd talk to the real estate agent first, to see what is most often preferred in your area and price range. But barring that, I'd probably go with the hardwood. It sounds like it could be pretty similar cost-wise, actually, and the matching rooms will look nice. Plus, depending on how long it takes to sell, it's easier to keep hardwood looking nice for a while than to worry about accidentally dirtying the carpet (at least IME). I think, especially for a master bedroom, lovely hardwood plus an area rug is going to have an elegant polished look. I agree with the PP who said if you do carpet in those rooms, do it in your DD's room too, so it all matches. I would totally not worry that only the lower level has carpet -- that seems really reasonable and expected. (Our former house was a split-level -- we had sturdy family-room carpet in the lower level, hardwood on the main level, and a "fluffier" carpet in the upper level, where the bedrooms were. Didn't look strange at all.) I also agree that a buyer who prefers the hardwood may well find it hard to justify ripping out perfectly good new carpet for hardwood that needs work. (Uh, we're there ourselves; our 1830s-ish house has what is probably original hardwood under Pergo flooring. The Pergo is okay, but we'd love to see the HW eventually and restore it and all; however, in four years, we haven't yet convinced ourselves that it's worth ripping out the Pergo that was brand-new when we got it and which still looks fantastic.)

I'd talk to the real estate agent first, to see what is most often preferred in your area and price range. But barring that, I'd probably go with the hardwood. It sounds like it could be pretty similar cost-wise, actually, and the matching rooms will look nice. Plus, depending on how long it takes to sell, it's easier to keep hardwood looking nice for a while than to worry about accidentally dirtying the carpet (at least IME). I think, especially for a master bedroom, lovely hardwood plus an area rug is going to have an elegant polished look. I agree with the PP who said if you do carpet in those rooms, do it in your DD's room too, so it all matches. I would totally not worry that only the lower level has carpet -- that seems really reasonable and expected. (Our former house was a split-level -- we had sturdy family-room carpet in the lower level, hardwood on the main level, and a "fluffier" carpet in the upper level, where the bedrooms were. Didn't look strange at all.) I also agree that a buyer who prefers the hardwood may well find it hard to justify ripping out perfectly good new carpet for hardwood that needs work. (Uh, we're there ourselves; our 1830s-ish house has what is probably original hardwood under Pergo flooring. The Pergo is okay, but we'd love to see the HW eventually and restore it and all; however, in four years, we haven't yet convinced ourselves that it's worth ripping out the Pergo that was brand-new when we got it and which still looks fantastic.)

Those are great points. Thanks!

I'd definitely go with hardwood. We just remodeled a first floor after a fire, refinished the hardwood and put in hardwood in the kitchen (pictures here). We have area rugs in the living room and dining room and throw rugs in the kitchen and the floor is not cold (SD winters- it's been sub-zero all week).

I would check around and get another estimate on refinishing. We had one for $1200 for 4 bedrooms and a small hallway.

Lisa, Thank you! The pics are lovely....your family and the rooms. It does flow very nicely between your rooms....I can "see" that. You live in SD....South Dakota? I've never been there, but I understand it does get mighty cold. Well then, we should be able to handle it here in NC! :lol:

I don't have time to respond to everyone individually, but I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's replied with suggestions. They are ever so helpful and I'm keeping them.

THANKS ALL!!! S <><

Got 'cha. We're selling this house. Here people are upgrading to keep hardwoods as much as possible. I'm just not sure if "most" of the house in hardwoods would be appreciated by prospective home buyers OR if they are like my dh and prefer to have carpet under them.

Still, I'm with you, that hardwoods would "usually" sell faster.

I would do the hardwood in a heart beat! We do not have any carpet in our home any longer and I love it. When we had our home appraised last spring it appraised $45,000 more that we had expected and we are not talking about a big house.

OK, thanks for all the input. I do believe we'll keep our hardwoods exposed and have them stained to match, etc.

As much as I do like hardwoods, I do like something soft under my feet so I guess I'll get that area rug...one or more of you suggested that!

Home Buying Q 1: decorating/painting, etc to sell a home.

Home Buying Q 2: ranch vs. 2 story home...wwy say?

Home Buying Q 3: older home vs. newer home....wwy say?

Home Buying Q 4: bedroom floors ~ expose wood OR recarpet....wwy say?

As you remember, we are decluttering, sprucing, updating, fixing, etc to sell our house and buy another.

Would you recarpet those 2 bedrooms? Or, when we pull that carpet up, would you stain the floors and keep those bedrooms as having wooden floors as well?

And, of course our kitchen off the dining room will have stone tile in place.

Carpet for these 2 bedrooms (carpet, padding, installation, etc).... don't know

Wood refinished: the man quoted me $700.

What do y'all say?

Thanks!! Sheryl <><

I vote the wooden floors. If you guys do a lot of work yourselves why couldn't you re-stain the floors yourselves? All you have to do is sand the floors down to get rid of the polyerthane and then stain it yourselves?

YOu can put an area rug down on the floors where the bed is. Most of our house is hardwood including 2 of the bedrooms. The upstairs is carpeted.

Definitely hardwood refinishing - $700 sounds like a very good price!

Remind your husband that you're looking to sell. Put a small area rug on his side of the bed so he has a warm rug to step onto before he puts on his slippers. :D

Oh - just read more of your posts - you'll need one on your side too, or a larger one under the whole bed area. : )

Regarding floor refinishing, it's a messy process - lots of dust will get everywhere and to me it's worth the cost of a professional. I would recommend buying lots of clear plastic and some painters tape to seal off areas of the house that aren't being refinished. It will make clean up in the end a lot easier.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Hardwood floors.

We are looking for a house to buy. New carpeting is a bit of a turn off to us. One, we probably won't like the installed carpet color/texture and have to tear it up. Two, we like wood floors. I would rather see that the house has nice wood flooring and is "move in ready". If I want carpet in a particular room, I'll buy my own.

Hardwood floors.

We are looking for a house to buy. New carpeting is a bit of a turn off to us. One, we probably won't like the installed carpet color/texture and have to tear it up. Two, we like wood floors. I would rather see that the house has nice wood flooring and is "move in ready". If I want carpet in a particular room, I'll buy my own.

Thanks, Dawn!

Definitely hardwood refinishing - $700 sounds like a very good price!

Remind your husband that you're looking to sell. Put a small area rug on his side of the bed so he has a warm rug to step onto before he puts on his slippers. :D

Oh - just read more of your posts - you'll need one on your side too' date=' or a larger one under the whole bed area. : )

Regarding floor refinishing, it's a messy process - lots of dust will get everywhere and to me it's worth the cost of a professional. I would recommend buying lots of clear plastic and some painters tape to seal off areas of the house that aren't being refinished. It will make clean up in the end a lot easier.

Yes, exactly. That's what we're planning on....a mess. But, you're right to make the necessary preperations in advance to keep the mess to a minimum. Like the idea of sealing off places. GOOD!!

I vote the wooden floors. If you guys do a lot of work yourselves why couldn't you re-stain the floors yourselves? All you have to do is sand the floors down to get rid of the polyerthane and then stain it yourselves?

YOu can put an area rug down on the floors where the bed is. Most of our house is hardwood including 2 of the bedrooms. The upstairs is carpeted.

Holly, it doesn't seem that difficult to do and we certainly need to do alot of the house fixing up ourselves to save the $$, but the time and expertise required may be beyond us. Another poster suggested getting another bid and I think that's a good idea. However, cheaper is not always better if the quality of work isn't there. Quality usually costs....nice hair cut, car, house, food, etc.

Holly, it doesn't seem that difficult to do and we certainly need to do alot of the house fixing up ourselves to save the $$, but the time and expertise required may be beyond us. Another poster suggested getting another bid and I think that's a good idea. However, cheaper is not always better if the quality of work isn't there. Quality usually costs....nice hair cut, car, house, food, etc.

I agree with you there. Not saying that you couldn't do a great job on the floors, but I think a professional job is really going to shine, y'know? This is probably not the time you want to teach yourself a new skill. :) Not to mention your time and hassle, especially if you're trying to do other things yourself as well. Getting a second bit seems like a good plan too.

lol Scuffisms. :) I have my own ism. If you're redecorating to sell, hardwood probably would sell better. It seems to be quite popular these days. ;) A rug will help. OT- I about died a few weeks ago when my DH suggested getting laminate in the living room. He wanted to tear up the hardwood and lay laminate :eek: WHy would you tear up real wood to lay fake!!? I think I had a big enough reaction to throw him off that idea. Our floors are bad. Previous owners used them as a drop cloth before laying carpet. But they have the potential to be beautiful once you sand them down.

lol Scuffisms. :) I have my own ism. If you're redecorating to sell, hardwood probably would sell better. It seems to be quite popular these days. ;) A rug will help. OT- I about died a few weeks ago when my DH suggested getting laminate in the living room. He wanted to tear up the hardwood and lay laminate :eek: WHy would you tear up real wood to lay fake!!? I think I had a big enough reaction to throw him off that idea. Our floors are bad. Previous owners used them as a drop cloth before laying carpet. But they have the potential to be beautiful once you sand them down.

:lol: Honestly, that is my question. Why pull up hardwoods to lay laminate!???! I agree with you that sanding and refinishing from that will help you keep those beautiful wooden floors.