Menu

I need a no-frills, easy to implement curriculum

kwickimom

thats cheap and easy and wont scare away a tentative homeschooler friend of mine :D

My friends 8YO hates school and is struggling-has trouble reading because she wasnt taught phonics. I think she doing OK in Math, but has trouble with the constant timed Math drills :glare:

Anyways...she wants me to show her some curriculum that is totally secular and easy to implement. This friend is a very straightforward, no fills person, and is super busy...her kids are in a zillion sports and competitive swim.

Suggestions as to what I should look into for her for suggestions. I dont have to have a boxed curric. We are in Illinois so we dont have to report. What would be the bare minimums?

I will be offering her the option of having her DD join mine for science and History.

TIA

EDIT: she is in 2nd grade at ps right now

thats cheap and easy and wont scare away a tentative homeschooler friend of mine :D

My friends 8YO hates school and is struggling-has trouble reading because she wasnt taught phonics. I think she doing OK in Math, but has trouble with the constant timed Math drills :glare:

Anyways...she wants me to show her some curriculum that is totally secular and easy to implement. This friend is a very straightforward, no fills person, and is super busy...her kids are in a zillion sports and competitive swim.

Suggestions as to what I should look into for her for suggestions. I dont have to have a boxed curric. We are in Illinois so we dont have to report. What would be the bare minimums?

I will be offering her the option of having her DD join mine for science and History.

TIA

EDIT: she is in 2nd grade at ps right now

Reading Pathways is a straightforward way to improve reading fluency.

What about Five in a Row with something added for phonics and math? FIAR is cheap if you use the library for books, and I've heard it covers science, geography, and history. Obviously, it's literature based, so that's covered, too. Spelling can be taken from phonics with a book like Phonics Pathways, which would teach phonics and allow her to choose spelling words from that week's reading lessons. I haven't done that, but I'm trying to think easy and cheap. :)

I've never actually used FIAR, but I've always had my eye on it. lol

That's a pretty tall order. It is hard to recommend something that is both cheap and secular if you want a whole package, so a couple of options:

Calvert - includes everything (including pencils and paper), super easy TM to follow. Not cheap.

Oak Meadow - requires more planning than Calvert, everything is laid out by week for 2nd and 3rd grades and requires a good deal of parent participation.

Eclectic: Five in a Row (volume 4), if you don't get the Bible supplement, there is very little religious content (which, IMO, can easily be skipped), covers everything but math, handwriting and phonics/grammar/spelling. It's cheapest if you buy the print version, but each different unit can be downloaded separately if you don't plan to use them all.

I recommend Dancing Bears for remedial phonics, it was designed to be used for 10 minutes a day and is only a workbook and flash cards.

Math Mammoth is a good choice, as it's mostly self-teaching and very inexpensive.

Zaner-Bloser and Handwriting Without Tears have cheap handwriting workbooks. If she prints well, I'd go with the WWE1 workbook because she's likely to be very weak on writing skills coming from public school and it will tackle both handwriting (through copywork) and writing skills.

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?Web=cca-store&AW_SessionID=AWEngine2011000001602726157571577d57Q157dId7e57A157eSite9e59M259e&page=class&class=FULL+YEAR+PACKS&subclass=DELUXE+K%2D12

This website has "deluxe", "standard" and "economy" secular packages for grades 1-12 (see tab on left). It might be her cup of tea. It is definitely no frills.

Susan

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?Web=cca-store&AW_SessionID=AWEngine2011000001602726157571577d57Q157dId7e57A157eSite9e59M259e&page=class&class=FULL+YEAR+PACKS&subclass=DELUXE+K%2D12

This website has "deluxe", "standard" and "economy" secular packages for grades 1-12 (see tab on left). It might be her cup of tea. It is definitely no frills.

Susan

I think people have had trouble ordering from that site. I am not 100 percent sure but I remember reading something about poor customer service.

I would start very basic. These are all pretty much sure bets for most kids - fitting most learning styles & being easy to teach. The Inquiry in Action isn't talked about here much, but it's free to try and looks VERY good.

History: SOTW 1 with activity book

Read-Alouds: selected from SOTW, Sonlight Core 1, and/or AO

Readers from SOTW, Sonlight (whichever level is appropriate), and/or AO, or let kiddo choose from library

Spelling: AAS 1 to fill gaps in phonics knowledge

Handwriting: any workbook in the style she likes. I prefer Getty-Dubay but anything is fine.

Science: Inquiry in Action (secular, free download from American Chemical Society, and includes all worksheets) OR Elemental Science (cheap, downloadable, secular content)

Math: Math Mammoth light blue series (using placement test) (worktext, written to student, open & go)

I would recommend she start with these types of programs and give them a good try before making changes. It's easier to tweak/add to what you're already using than to add a new method or workbook.

If you want super cheap and totally no-frills, I'd do Math Mammoth Light Blue 2A+B and a workbook like Harcourt Family Learning for English; you can get a Complete Curriculum, or separate workbooks for Reading, Spelling, and Language Arts. It's certainly not classical, but they're pretty good as workbooks go — and probably not any worse than what she had in PS. Barnes & Noble stores carry a large selection of workbooks from different publishers for K-8, which your friend could browse through, and Costco often carries these big all-in-one Comprehensive Curriculum grade-leveled workbooks. If she does history & science with you, her mom can just add library books and maybe handwriting (for which she can download free worksheets).

Obviously workbooks aren't a long-term solution, but they would give your friend something to use for the rest of the school year so she doesn't feel overwhelmed, and they'll cover the basics of what PS kids are doing in case the child goes back into PS next year. If the mom decides to continue homeschooling, then she can start looking at other curricula and think about adding in other things a bit at a time.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

great suggestions! Keep em coming. I think one poster thought I wanted and all in one, but I dont.

I was worried about suggesting AAS because I know it drives some ppl nuts to implement.

I was thinking of having her run through ElizabethB's phonics program.

I would love to shoe her an all in one LA, and I was thinking that LLATL is really gentle but I am not sure. Maybe FLL and WWE?

AHHHH,...I really dont want to scare her off

Blend phonics with my phonics game and my rules. (The Blend Phonics reader, not e original Blend Phonics. It was designed to help stop guessing for older students.)

If she does not mind hearing the book of Romans read to her, my lessons would be what I would choose.

The Blend Phonics guide on my how to tutor page has good instructions if she goes that route, the rules and syllable division exercises are there, too, eventually she will want to do the syllable division exercises, but you could not mention them yet if you are trying to make it sound simple and easy!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

The Spectrum workbooks look like they could be from the public schools so they shouldn't scare your friend off and they are very easy to teach. They seem to cover just enough that the kid won't have gaps in his education. They are found in the Barnes and Noble bookstores.

I would start very basic. These are all pretty much sure bets for most kids - fitting most learning styles & being easy to teach. The Inquiry in Action isn't talked about here much, but it's free to try and looks VERY good.

History: SOTW 1 with activity book

Read-Alouds: selected from SOTW, Sonlight Core 1, and/or AO

Readers from SOTW, Sonlight (whichever level is appropriate), and/or AO, or let kiddo choose from library

Spelling: AAS 1 to fill gaps in phonics knowledge

Handwriting: any workbook in the style she likes. I prefer Getty-Dubay but anything is fine.

Science: Inquiry in Action (secular, free download from American Chemical Society, and includes all worksheets) OR Elemental Science (cheap, downloadable, secular content)

Math: Math Mammoth light blue series (using placement test) (worktext, written to student, open & go)

I would recommend she start with these types of programs and give them a good try before making changes. It's easier to tweak/add to what you're already using than to add a new method or workbook.

Thanks for the Inquiry in Action website. I hadn't seen that before!

Guest RecumbentHeart

I am relatively inexperienced but I do like simple and straight forward and for bare minimums I would be thinking perhaps:

Phonics Pathways which I could use for phonics and spelling

FLL and/or WWE to cover grammar and writing

Math Mammoth for math

For a child struggling with reading, I think I'd skip all the GUM, spelling and the like -- I'm a believer that most kids need to read well before those subjects.

So, that leaves her core as writing (handwriting or narrating stories TO mom to write), reading (phonics), and math (MM or saxon). For literature, add mom reading aloud and discussing the text. Done. She should be able to cover it in 2 hours/day max. She can pick lit based on history for a twofer. As dd is ready, add in free reading time for her and then she just has to keep a stack of library books on hand. :)

And if she takes you up on your offer to cover science, that's pretty well rounded, I think.

Phonics Pathways which I could use for phonics and spelling

FLL and/or WWE to cover grammar and writing

Math Mammoth for math

This is exactly what I was going to suggest! I love PP for its straightforward, no frills method; it's easy to do the minimum but can easily be beefed up. I would suggest adding some Explode the Code workbooks to this which could also double in combination with WWE for penmanship practice.

Then add SOTW on CD for an easy history overview and lots of library books on animals, bugs, weather, water, planets, volcanoes, etc. for science.

Is Funnix still being offered free...that would be a fairly easy phonics supplement. I know a teacher is supposed to sit with them but my dd8 has been doing her lessons on her own, with me within earshot, and its been going great. Starfall is free and she would be able to do it alone too. (Don't know if someone suggested that or not yet.)

great suggestions! Keep em coming. I think one poster thought I wanted and all in one, but I dont.

I was worried about suggesting AAS because I know it drives some ppl nuts to implement.

I was thinking of having her run through ElizabethB's phonics program.

I would love to shoe her an all in one LA, and I was thinking that LLATL is really gentle but I am not sure. Maybe FLL and WWE?

AHHHH,...I really dont want to scare her off

LLATL is a gentle, inexpensive place for a novice homeschooler to implement with ease. It's a good curriculum that will not overwhelm an inexperienced home teacher, or a struggling student.

I also think Saxon is easy for math. Using those for the core along with plenty of living books for history and science can be a great place for a new homeschooler to begin. Many will find themselves confident that the lessons can be completed and progress achieved.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest! I love PP for its straightforward, no frills method; it's easy to do the minimum but can easily be beefed up. I would suggest adding some Explode the Code workbooks to this which could also double in combination with WWE for penmanship practice.

Then add SOTW on CD for an easy history overview and lots of library books on animals, bugs, weather, water, planets, volcanoes, etc. for science.

Is Funnix still being offered free...that would be a fairly easy phonics supplement. I know a teacher is supposed to sit with them but my dd8 has been doing her lessons on her own, with me within earshot, and its been going great. Starfall is free and she would be able to do it alone too. (Don't know if someone suggested that or not yet.)

Thank you!!! for the Funnix info. I just checked online and it is still free for the whole month of Jan. 2011.

I think I would go with Math Mammoth, definitely.

Then everything else could be Evan-Moor:

Basic Phonics C or D (reading, phonics, spelling)

Grammar & Punctuation 2 or 3 (if wanted)

Daily Science 3

United States Facts & Fun 1-3

She could do 2 pages a day of math and phonics and 1 page a day of everything else. Easy. . .

Jennifer