Menu

Getting a sick toddler to take antibiotics?

Anyone have any amazing tricks for getting my 15-month-old to swallow 2 tsp. of Amoxicillin twice a day? The poor little guy has a double ear infection and pneumonia. We gave him his first dose today and he screamed hysterically, cried, held his breath, coughed and sputtered on it, spit it out, gagged, etc. He wouldn't even take a cookie or juice or ice cream afterward to get rid of the taste because he was so upset.

This medication is allowed to be mixed with food. Would it be a bad idea to mix it with applesauce? That's the only thing (other than refried beans, water, and breastmilk) that he's been willing to eat for 3 days. Would a smoothie be better since I want to make sure he'll keep eating when I offer food whereas he can always drink breastmilk?

I've had to hold my DD down before. It's no fun, but sometimes it just has to be done. I lay her down on the floor with her head in between my legs, and use my legs to hold her arms down. Then use a syringe to squeeze the medicine towards the side of her mouth.

For awhile, I didn't even try to get her to take medicine any other way. I would just hold her right down. She threw a fit for a minute or two, but as soon as she swallowed the medicine I scooped her up and held her, which calmed her right down.

(I'm so glad she takes medicine fine now! That was stressful.)

I used a syringe and squirted it towards the back and side of her mouth. Offered her favorite drink/treat afterwards.

I also got the pharmacy to flavor the medicine. Doesn't affect the efficacy and made it easier to go down.

Even at that age I would talk to DD about the medicine - tell her I know it tastes awful, but she's sick and has to take it. It will be over soon, and she can have as many M&Ms as she wants afterwards (this was usually 4-6 at that age). Lots of hugs and rewards and cheering for taking it. I even got a cheering section (her cousins) a few times at the beginning.

If he loves applesauce I might NOT want to use it - he might never want applesauce again. Try small amounts of jam or even chocolate sauce.

If worse comes to worse - ask the doctor for an injection of antibiotic.

Some pharmacy s can mix meds with different flavoring, too.

Thanks for the replies!

Well, we tried a smoothie but he wouldn't take it.

When we tried the syringe/back of the mouth he gagged/sputtered.

What ended up working was dh holding him while I used the spoon dispenser with one finger hooked in his cheek so he couldn't spit. It wasn't fun but it was fast and he got the whole dose. 2 down, 18 to go!

I would have the pharmacy add flavor to it. I think every pharmacy has that option along with a menu of flavors to choose from. They did 25 years ago for me as kid.

I can very clearly remember having to take amoxicillan as a kid and I loved it! It was pink and bubblegum flavored and I always looked forward to my dose:tongue_smilie:

I would have the pharmacy add flavor to it. I think every pharmacy has that option along with a menu of flavors to choose from. They did 25 years ago for me as kid.

I can very clearly remember having to take amoxicillan as a kid and I loved it! It was pink and bubblegum flavored and I always looked forward to my dose:tongue_smilie:

His actually IS pink bubblegum flavored--that was something they automatically do at our pharmacy apparently. Ds was not impressed, however! I remember liking the flavor of my amoxicillin as well. He doesn't like the grape Tylenol either, which I also liked as a kid. I've been really good about training his palette to like good wholesome foods, so maybe it's just that the artificial sweet stuff is new and strange to him. I'm sure he'll discover the joys of bubblegum-flavored stuff when he's older (my dh just discovered cotton candy ice cream--blech!) His favorite food is broccoli--I bet they don't have a pharmacy flavoring for that!:D

Edited by AndyJoy

Once you squirt the medicine in the back of his throat blow directly into his face. It is reflex for him to swallow. The best way to get it to the back of the throat is to slide the syringe along the cheek until the end is pointed toward the throat.

This is the way I have done it for as long as I have had kids and been a nurse and the way I teach my students to give medicine to kids that like to spit. :tongue_smilie:

His actually IS pink bubblegum flavored--that was something they automatically do at our pharmacy apparently. Ds was not impressed, however! I remember liking the flavor of my amoxicillin as well. He doesn't like the grape Tylenol either, which I also liked as a kid. I've been really good about training his palette to like good wholesome foods, so maybe it's just that the artificial sweet stuff is new and strange to him. I'm sure he'll discover the joys of bubblegum-flavored stuff when he's older (my dh just discovered cotton candy ice cream--blech!) His favorite food is broccoli--I bet they don't have a pharmacy flavoring for that!:D

That's it. The stuff is way overpoweringly hideously sweet to him. Have you tried mixing it with water?

Oh man did I ever have a sweet tooth, no wonder I loved that stuff!

I bet the pharmacist would look at you like you had two heads if you asked for a broccoli flavor, I could just imagine the look:lol:

I agree with others, see if you can hide it in some food. They might be able to give a pill version that would be easier to sprinkle or crush into his food, that way it wouldn't be sweet and pink. I think the bubblegummyness of it would be difficult to disguise.

When ds6 had to have Flagyl (horrendous, nasty, yucky, disgusting stuff) I had to pinch his nose and have him get it down and then give him some soda or juice to chase it with.

Your poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon.

Once you squirt the medicine in the back of his throat blow directly into his face. It is reflex for him to swallow. The best way to get it to the back of the throat is to slide the syringe along the cheek until the end is pointed toward the throat.

This is the way I have done it for as long as I have had kids and been a nurse and the way I teach my students to give medicine to kids that like to spit. :tongue_smilie:

I think I must not be talented enough to do this because I thought I did this the first time but he still managed to gargle/spit it out! Fortunately my new method worked--hopefully it will continue working tonight.