Menu

ideas to keep dd busy after surgery

My 15 year old dd is having major leg surgery in a few weeks. She will be in the hospital for a few days and will be non weight bearing for 2 months. I'm trying to think of ideas for things that I can get her to keep her occupied (crafts, etc.) She doesn't sew or knit and it can't be too messy.

Also if anyone else has had this kind of surgery before can you think of anything that I might have forgot to help her with everyday living? I got crutch pads. For showering I bought a shower seat and hand held shower. I bought her a bunch of sweat pants since she won't be able to wear jeans for awhile.

I had knee surgery at 15, too. The one thing I remembered the most was walking on those darn crutches. My underarms got so sore. Finally, at a follow up appt. with the orthopedist, the orthopedist showed me HOW to walk on crutches. Your weight should never be on your underarms, but instead, be on your hands on the the bar on the crutch. (I hope that made sense!) I was non-weight bearing for almost a year and once I was shown the correct way, I never had underarm problems again.

She can:

Write a short story

Write a journal

Sketch (maybe she'd like some of the how to draw type books)

Blog or play games (can even do with a laptop in bed if necessary)

Listen to audiobooks/read

Do activity books like wordsearch, crosswords and so on

Write letters to a penpal, a soldier, etc.

Rug/Latch hooking kits are fun and pretty easy to pick up- at least they were for me and *I* can't knit/sew/crochet/etc.

I got my daughter who has been non weight bearing since Dec5 a needlepoint (crossstitch) kit from Micheals. (5.00) She had a good time and wants to do more. So a good experiment for little outlay.

Puzzles

math (bwahahahah)

Lara

We also shopped around and got her a wheelchair (really nice) at Goodwill for 30.00. This helped when we went places because crutches are just scary (and slow). You can also use the electric chairs at museums and other places to get around.

Edited by Lara in Colo

Bars for around the toilet will be helpful as well. It is *really* hard to get up from a low toilet and maintain your balance when you are non-weightbearing on a leg. I needed them when I broke my foot last summer, and my dd needed them when she broke her leg.

Scrapbooking (even digitally) is fun. Papercrafting (card making, etc.) is enjoyable. Netflix can be quite entertaining. I think it's a great time to pick up sewing (embroidery can be a fun, easy start) or sewing. I broke my foot last year and learned to pedal left-footed. ;) Stacks of good books occupied me for quite a while.....I did a ton of research on herb gardens & medicine last summer. She might start looking at universities and scholarships. ;)

Puzzles - nothing super frustrating.

Books

Does she do things like jewelry making? There are some cool supplies at my local Wal-mart. I haven't bought dd any yet because she is still a bit young.

Does she have a laptop or notebook computer? Add some games.

Ipod

More books

I think you might be surprised. She will probably start getting around fairly quickly on her crutches. You might only need things for the first week or so.

If cost isn't a big deal, get her forearm crutches (google WalkEasy)... they are much more comfortable then the typical underarm crutches, will cost you about $99. Also available in cool colors. My daughter has had three big orthopedic surgeries. You have received lots of good ideas. Bars in the bathrooms/around the toilet are advisable and can come in handy in the future if anyone else needs them. Try to place them on both sides if possible.

Look at something called "Traffic Jam" if you don't have it already.

There used to be an extended pack for this game. It's something you

do by yourself and it keeps one busy for a while at least.

Timberdoodle used to carry it. This is where I got ours years ago.

I would also get magazines and lots of books from the library on all

kinds of subjects she may be interested in as well as fiction.

A young girl who was confined to bed for a long time, made the following:

Cut out of cardboard to circles, one can be a little bigger than the other.

Then cut out the inside of the circle, leaving at least one inch of cardboard.

Then you need lots of yarn, different colors are more fun. Thread the yarn

through both inside holes of the two cardboard rings until the top hole is

half way filled up with yarn. (You are tying the two cardboard rings

together by looping yarn through both of them. You should not be seeing any

cardboard when it's done).

Then do the same but only on the top cardboard

ring.

This makes a figure like a snowman. The bottom is the belly, top is the head.

You can stitch funny faces on them in contrasting color yarn.

Edited by Liz CA

I would check with her doctor, but maybe something like this would help her to get some strengthening "exercise" while she's sitting.

http://www.rollingsandsharmony.com/181sd.html

There are lots of different brands, but it might make sitting for a long time a bit more comfortable. For making getting up from the toilet a bit easier, you can buy one of those things that raises the seat - some even have supports added to the design. You got good advice regarding the crutches - make sure the hand rest is high enough that her weight is on that and not the "underarm" part. Even using them the right way, you're using muscles that you're not used to using, so there is a time that everything is a bit sore. Since she's got some time before the surgery, maybe she could get the crutches early and practice and build up arm strength. At the beginning, to give her a break once in a while, you can let her use an office chair on wheels to get around a bit.

It's a good time for her to concentrate on her school work, and maybe get ahead so she can take some time off for fun when she's mobile again. Jewelry making is a great idea! Lots of board games, computer time, and having friends visit can help the time to pass. When she's itching to get out of the house, don't forget that many large stores provide those motorized scooters, so take advantage of that too.

Praying that her surgery is a success and that she has a quick recovery. :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I helped a disabled student at college and was friends with several others. All the students who used wheelchairs had some sort of bag to hang from the back and carry stuff. You could get her a backpack that could either be hung on something or she could wear while using crutches.