Menu

If you are not math inclined...

what would you do if you wanted to major in science? I like science a lot, especially biology, but I really enjoy music too. I love biology, but I am not really good at math and the highest I really want to go is pre-calc, I don't to stress myself over math. I am a very bright teenager though, all straight A's and in honor's classes, but I feel that the higher levels of math like pre-calc and up are just out of my league, although pre-calc is required for graduation. Music is kind of my passion, but I don't think I will be able to make a very good living off of it from what I have heard. Although music therapy is very interesting, and I may consider that a well.

What I am trying to say is, if you aren't very good at higher math and you wanted to enter a science field, would you need to know calculus? I can do that, but I don't want to go in depth.

As smart as I am, I am really an artsy person.:D;)

I have a B.A. in Biology (it would have been a B.S. but Organic Chemistry kicked my butt).....and I never took Calc. I should say, I started to take Calc. but dropped it because I was going to two colleges...both fulltime....at the same time... something had to give. :D

I think you will be suprised at how much better you handle the math as you get a year or so older..... I was miserable in math in my younger years but when I went to college it wasn't so bad. I was doing okay even in Calculus...but had to drop something or risk dropping out. The only time that the lack of higher math interfered with my schooling was Physics (I took a lesser Physics).

I guess it would matter what "kind" of Biology you were going for.... I concentrated mostly on Vertebrate Zoology and managed. If you were going for something that was pre-med type you would need to have the higher levels of math.

As for making a good living....... don't count on it with just a basic Biology degree........... I've never worked in my field of study, mainly because I wouldn't have made that much $$$. Of course, I'm not a very driven person. :001_smile:

You don't need to know calculus to actually *do* biology. I took it (three terms) as a biochemistry major and the only thing I actually ever needed it for was physical chemistry and physics. At that time, calculus based physics wasn't required for bio majors and I don't know if that is the standard now.

As for making a good living....... don't count on it with just a basic Biology degree

:iagree:

I am a Medical Technologist (think blood tests) and work with many young people just out of college with biology degrees. They do not have the specialized training but can operate the analyzers. It is very boring, stressful work. Most of them are unhappy with the job, but are unable to find anything better. I would not consider a basic biology degree a good foundation for a career. It can be a foundation for advanced studies such as medicine, teaching, etc.

I'm sorry I am not of much help to you, although I wish you great success in whatever you do.

What I am trying to say is, if you aren't very good at higher math and you wanted to enter a science field, would you need to know calculus? I can do that, but I don't want to go in depth.

You do not necessarily need to take Calculus as a high school student but be forewarned that a four year degree in biology may require it. I remember that you had mentioned Gardner Webb in one of your other posts so I took a look at their website. A Calculus course is a requirement for the biology degree there.

Sometimes you just cannot avoid math. :D

:iagree:

I am a Medical Technologist (think blood tests) and work with many young people just out of college with biology degrees. They do not have the specialized training but can operate the analyzers. It is very boring, stressful work. Most of them are unhappy with the job, but are unable to find anything better. I would not consider a basic biology degree a good foundation for a career. It can be a foundation for advanced studies such as medicine, teaching, etc.

I'm sorry I am not of much help to you, although I wish you great success in whatever you do.

We used to hire people with biology degrees all the time for entry level positions in the pharmaceutical company I worked for. The best ones eventually went on to management positions. I believe that folks with biology degrees can also get work with places like Fish and Wildlife. I agree that being a medical technologist is not overly inspiring.

I am not really good at math... I don't to stress myself over math. I am a very bright teenager though, all straight A's and in honor's classes, but I feel that the higher levels of math like pre-calc and up are just out of my league. As smart as I am, I am really an artsy person.:D;)

Please forgive me for chopping up your post but I wanted to highlight the comments above. What I'm reading (between the lines) is that you are bright and do well in all your classes but do not WANT to do math. You are trying to convince us that math isn't your thing and that you would not succeed in upper level math. I don't believe you. :tongue_smilie: It's hard to decide what you want to do with your life but please do not allow a simple dislike of math to convince you to take a different path. You CAN do it and do it successfully.

Pegasus

Please forgive me for chopping up your post but I wanted to highlight the comments above. What I'm reading (between the lines) is that you are bright and do well in all your classes but do not WANT to do math. You are trying to convince us that math isn't your thing and that you would not succeed in upper level math. I don't believe you. :tongue_smilie: It's hard to decide what you want to do with your life but please do not allow a simple dislike of math to convince you to take a different path. You CAN do it and do it successfully.

Pegasus

:iagree: She just said it before I got to it. :)

You do not necessarily need to take Calculus as a high school student but be forewarned that a four year degree in biology may require it. I remember that you had mentioned Gardner Webb in one of your other posts so I took a look at their website. A Calculus course is a requirement for the biology degree there.

Sometimes you just cannot avoid math. :D

Thank you for looking into that for me! I like math, but it isn't one of my strong points and I do not plan on getting a basic degree in biology! Lol, I like working with children and trying to help them, I think there is a field for that in biology but I am not sure. Nursing I don't think is my thing, I love helping people but I can't take the stress it has on you at times, which stinks. I think I should take calculus just to be on the safe side. Thank you for your help!:001_smile:

Pegasus

:blushing: Ok you got me there! I really don't want to have to deal with a lot of the higher math, algebra I like and geometry is ok, my friend said pre-calc and clalc are simple if you understand how to do algebra. Sometimes the higher math can give me a headache.:banghead:

Thank you for your encouraging words, and maybe I will consider a degree in a math related field, or feel less intimidated by a science degree that requires higher math.

One things for sure, I won't do anything basic! I love learning!! Thank you for all of the help!:)

I think many students do better spending more time MASTERING 7th through 10th grade level maths rather than rushing through to calculus and mastering nothing.

You might want to spend some time on word problems and enrichment lessons, at the levels you are comfortable at, before moving on.

I like the word problems in the Aufmann texts. You can get old copies of the text books for pennies, with 1/2 the answers in the back. Solutions manuals and software that generates an unlimited number of problems, is even nicer, but the basic 2 cent texts are often good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-Applied-Approach/dp/0618503056

I think many students do better spending more time MASTERING 7th through 10th grade level maths rather than rushing through to calculus and mastering nothing.

You might want to spend some time on word problems and enrichment lessons, at the levels you are comfortable at, before moving on.

I like the word problems in the Aufmann texts. You can get old copies of the text books for pennies, with 1/2 the answers in the back. Solutions manuals and software that generates an unlimited number of problems, is even nicer, but the basic 2 cent texts are often good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-Applied-Approach/dp/0618503056

Thank you very much. I never really did like word problems, but I know I have to do them!

I hated word problems till I was TAUGHT how to do them instead of EXPECTED to do them.

When I was spoon fed formulas for doing specific kinds of word problems, and then given plenty of practice, I suddenly understood what the point of pages of equations had been about. I never understood math till I did the word problems.

So for me, spoon fed formulas, redoing the pages of equations, and then more challenging real word problems, was how I finally understood 7th-10th grade math and was finally ready to move on to precalc.

Manipulatives are also fun. Try googling "algebra manipulatives".

My oldest two did math through calculus at home, so I was very involved in their math. They both thought that precalculus was harder than calculus. I agree with the above posters that you should learn your algebra, geometry, and trigonometry well. Precalculus is a combination of advanced algebra (like Alg. II but with a bit more), trig (lots of memorization of relationships + understanding, of course), and analytic geometry (geometry + algebra + trig). If you learn the foundational maths, you should not have trouble with calculus.

GardenMom

I hated word problems till I was TAUGHT how to do them instead of EXPECTED to do them.

When I was spoon fed formulas for doing specific kinds of word problems, and then given plenty of practice, I suddenly understood what the point of pages of equations had been about. I never understood math till I did the word problems.

So for me, spoon fed formulas, redoing the pages of equations, and then more challenging real word problems, was how I finally understood 7th-10th grade math and was finally ready to move on to precalc.

Manipulatives are also fun. Try googling "algebra manipulatives".

Thank you so much for your help! I understnad how to do certain word problems, but not all. Thank you for the advice and the links.

My oldest two did math through calculus at home, so I was very involved in their math. They both thought that precalculus was harder than calculus. I agree with the above posters that you should learn your algebra, geometry, and trigonometry well. Precalculus is a combination of advanced algebra (like Alg. II but with a bit more), trig (lots of memorization of relationships + understanding, of course), and analytic geometry (geometry + algebra + trig). If you learn the foundational maths, you should not have trouble with calculus.

GardenMom

Thank you for your help! I will try my best!

The Calculus required for Bio majors is often different from the Calc required for other majors. For example, at TxA&M the Calc for Bio majors is nick-named "Cowboy Calculus" and is different from the Calculus for Engineering majors. Biology is a great science to study if you are not strong in math.

You might be surprised at how good you do. I am not math oriented but I love chemistry. I was always shocked at how I scored in Chemistry, even the math portions connected to it. I think because I was interested in the subject, I understood it better. You shouldn't need anything beyond pre-cal that isn't directly connected to your actual training/Sciences and in that case, you may find you do fine.

More than likely, you will need at least pre-calc at the college level for a bio degrees. A 4-year bio degree is an entry level degree; plan on grad school if you want to work as a biologist. Those going to grad school will likely have taken at least Calc I, so to be competitive, you may need to get through Calc I in college.

I tell my advisees (I teach chem, specifically Organic Chem) that you can't look at the minimums so much as what the students who get accepted have taken. So, for med school, the minimum GPA "might" say 2.5, but the average accepted GPA is 3.5. The 3.5 is what you have to shoot for.

In science fields, the less math you have, the more you limit yourself. I think I'd plan on pre-calc in high school and retake it in college, hoping that that will be sufficient. That means that your high school program had better be sufficiently rigorous to help you score well in college.

More than likely, you will need at least pre-calc at the college level for a bio degrees. A 4-year bio degree is an entry level degree; plan on grad school if you want to work as a biologist. Those going to grad school will likely have taken at least Calc I, so to be competitive, you may need to get through Calc I in college.

I tell my advisees (I teach chem, specifically Organic Chem) that you can't look at the minimums so much as what the students who get accepted have taken. So, for med school, the minimum GPA "might" say 2.5, but the average accepted GPA is 3.5. The 3.5 is what you have to shoot for.

In science fields, the less math you have, the more you limit yourself. I think I'd plan on pre-calc in high school and retake it in college, hoping that that will be sufficient. That means that your high school program had better be sufficiently rigorous to help you score well in college.

You have a good point. I would rather be solid in pre-calc than rush through it in hgh school just to get through calculus. I am going to be taking pre-calc in my senior year, and possibly attempt calculus.

I always try to aim higher than what is expected, I am not a barely get by person, and I love to challenge myself as hard as I can. Thank you all for your help!