Menu

Greek yogurt vs. regular low-fat yogurt

Greek yogurt is much thicker than ordinary yogurt. I find it much more satisfying - I feel fuller and less likely to want something else. The sugar content will vary, based upon the brand. I don't like overly sweet yogurt as in I cannot justify eating 25 grams of sugar in a 6 oz serving. I don't like plain either, though, and need to dress that up to eat it. I get Trader Joe's flavored Greek Yogurt. My favorite is the Pomegranate flavor which is sweet enough, but only has 11 grams of sugar.

What's the difference? I don't mean in terms of nutritional value, but in terms of finicky eating. We are used to regular low-fat (but full-sugar) yogurt, will we like the greek yogurt if I buy it? :bigear:

The Greek yogurt is creamier (even the no-fat) and not as runny - I believe because it has more whey strained out. Yummy yummy!

I do buy the plain - I think it's a little less sour than plain "regular" yogurt, but no matter what kind of yogurt I need some sweetener in the plain. I add a bit of stevia and some blueberries; I have a friend who added a touch of honey.

We do the touch of honey. I make a mock-greek yogurt at home by just straining a container full of full fat yogurt (I'd rather have the good fat than all the bad sugar added to low fat varieties) in cheese cloth in a strainer over a 4C measuring cup. Within a day or so we have more creamy yogurt. It's not true greek yogurt, but it's close enough for us and less expensive by about $1+ a container, and we go through 3-4 a month.

We also add stevia, applesauce, whole fruit preserves, etc. to our yogurts to vary the flavor.

We love it too! We make our own yogurt, and I even go to the trouble of straining it through a pillowcase for a few hours. Even made with nonfat milk it tastes unbelievably creamy.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of getting a yogurt maker -- any recommendations? (Or do you just use a pot and the pilot light?)

The boys and I love the plain Greek yogurt. Not only is it delicious, but I also appreciate that the 2yo is less likely to drip everywhere with it.

the plain stuff is similar to sour cream in taste. i eat it every day and add a scoop of flavored whey protein and walnuts, deee-lish! the whey protien cuts down on the natural sour-ish-ness.

Greek Gods makes a honey flavored one that is higher in sugar than the plain, but outstandingly good. my kids won't eat regular yogurt at all anymore, the Greek Gods have spoiled them.

Isn't it also a LOT more protein? Or is that a particular brand I am seeing. My ds isn't a big meat eater, so I appreciate that I can use something like yogurt full of protein that he will gobble up!

Ours is. We switched a couple of years ago for protein but we prefer Greek now. It's thicker and more satisfying. The kids didn't seem to blink on the switch but at first I wasn't sure. We do flavored.

Greek yoghurt can have up to 1.5 times as much protein as ordinary yoghurt, and between 2 and 5 times as much fat.

That doesn't worry me too much. Less of it fills me up, and it has less sugar. Two spoonfuls of Greek yoghurt with a few blueberries or chopped strawberries.. yum. :drool:

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of getting a yogurt maker -- any recommendations? (Or do you just use a pot and the pilot light?)

I just heat a gallon of milk to near boiling and let it cool to room temperature. Then you stir in your culture (I buy bulk culture from Dairy Connection OR you can use 1/4 cup plain yogurt from the store). I wrap my pot in a blanket and place it in an oven that has been heated up then turned off. 8-10 hours later it's done. I pour it into a cut-off pillowcase and let about 2 quarts of whey drain off. YUM YUM YUM!