Menu

Single Serve Coffee Makers-Keurig, etc

Tell me what you like and don't like about yours. DH and I like different things and do not drink enough coffee for a larger coffee maker. He likes hot tea and I prefer coffee-when I can get it.

My parents just sent us our Christmas check and we want to get a single serve coffee/tea maker.

Budget, preferably under $200 and that includes an assortment of "pods" or whatever they are called.

Thanks so much! :D

I got the Keurig from Costco. They have the B70 available online for $150 which includes 60 k-cups. I think mine was a little cheaper at the B&M Costco.

I like it. I use it for a single cup in the afternoon. My dd uses it for the hot water for her tea. The only thing I don't like about it is that our coffee expenses have gone way up. My dh thinks it's easier to make four single k-cups in the morning for the 2 of us, than to brew the pot of coffee we typically drink. So I try to remember to set up the coffee maker before I go to bed, to pre-empt him starting to pop in the 40 cent pods. :)

I got the Keurig from Costco. They have the B70 available online for $150 which includes 60 k-cups. I think mine was a little cheaper at the B&M Costco.

I like it. I use it for a single cup in the afternoon. My dd uses it for the hot water for her tea. The only thing I don't like about it is that our coffee expenses have gone way up. My dh thinks it's easier to make four single k-cups in the morning for the 2 of us, than to brew the pot of coffee we typically drink. So I try to remember to set up the coffee maker before I go to bed, to pre-empt him starting to pop in the 40 cent pods. :)

Can you order from Costco on-line if you do not have a membership? We do not have a membership much less a Costco within almost 3hrs of us :-(

Can you order from Costco on-line if you do not have a membership? We do not have a membership much less a Costco within almost 3hrs of us :-(

I don't think so. Do you know someone who could order it for you (your parents?). You can buy from lots of b&m and online retailers, but Costco had the best price when I bought mine in April. (I just looked it up, and I have the B60 which is still available - either the B60 or 70 would be good).

We just got our Keurig B70 at QVC.com. We got ours as a TSV for $139.99, but I think the price is a bit higher now. I chose the B70 because the water container is larger than other models, and there are more cup size choices.

You should also check the prices at Kohls. Here's a code for 30% off your purchase if you use your Kohl's card to pay for it: GIFTGIVING . They're also doing Kohl's Cash this week, so that would give you about $20-25 toward a future purchase, as well.

Kohls also carries the Kcups.

Cat

We just got our Keurig B70 at QVC.com. We got ours as a TSV for $139.99, but I think the price is a bit higher now. I chose the B70 because the water container is larger than other models, and there are more cup size choices.

You should also check the prices at Kohls. Here's a code for 30% off your purchase if you use your Kohl's card to pay for it: GIFTGIVING . They're also doing Kohl's Cash this week, so that would give you about $20-25 toward a future purchase, as well.

Kohls also carries the Kcups.

Cat

LOVE Kohls!!! I didn't even think of checking there! THANK YOU!!!! DH and I literally live in Kohls clothing, so that Kohls cash will be well loved.

I don't think so. Do you know someone who could order it for you (your parents?). You can buy from lots of b&m and online retailers, but Costco had the best price when I bought mine in April. (I just looked it up, and I have the B60 which is still available - either the B60 or 70 would be good).

No one in my family has a Costco near them. We all have Sams' memberships, I will check there as well.

LOVE Kohls!!! I didn't even think of checking there! THANK YOU!!!! DH and I literally live in Kohls clothing, so that Kohls cash will be well loved.

You're welcome -- I know they have the Keurigs on their website, so you could price shop before you go to the store.

No one in my family has a Costco near them. We all have Sams' memberships, I will check there as well.

Sam's carries the B60 model and it comes with a variety pack of 60 kcups. I know it costs $129.99, and it's the same one they have at BJ's, because I looked at both of them before I bought the B70 on QVC. You get a lot more kcups in the QVC set, and you also get the My KCup thingie where you can use your own coffee in the machine, and the water filtration thing that apparently filters your water or something. (I haven't tried the filter thing yet, so I don't know if it works well. I already use filtered water in the machine, so I didn't install the Keurig filter.)

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

So you have both a single cup maker and a regular coffee maker? I guess I thought those machines replace a regular one for most people. I've thought about one, but don't like the idea of the cost of those cups.

I know the Keurig's have a basket you can buy to put your own coffee in. Do any of you who have a Keurig have one of those?

I know the Keurig's have a basket you can buy to put your own coffee in. Do any of you who have a Keurig have one of those?

I got one in the set I bought from QVC. It's called My Kcup (or something like that.) I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would be a bit of a nuisance to use, because you'd have to clean it out after every cup of coffee, which pretty much negates all the time you save by having the Keurig thing in the first place.

Basically, you put your own coffee into what looks like a little filter basket, and you put the little contraption in the machine in place of the Kcup. Then, you push the lever and it magically makes you a cup of coffee. But instead of just tossing the Kcup in the trash, you have to wash out the filter thing. Or maybe you can just rinse it, but I can picture myself shaking out the coffee grounds into the trash and it getting stuck in there so I have to shake a little harder, and then having to go turn on the washing machine because my clothes are covered with coffee grounds... :glare:;)

So I'm sticking with the prepackaged Kcup things. The price isn't too bad if you get them at Costco, Sam's, BJ's, or Amazon, or if you use a coupon at Kohl's or Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Cat

So you have both a single cup maker and a regular coffee maker? I guess I thought those machines replace a regular one for most people. I've thought about one, but don't like the idea of the cost of those cups.

Yep, we have both. And an espresso machine. It's a good thing we have lots of counter space - the coffee nook takes up quite a bit of kitchen real estate.

If we had just one coffee drinker in our house, I can see how a single cup maker could replace the regular machine. But since both of us are coffee drinkers, it makes sense to make a whole pot in the morning, and then use the Keurig in the afternoon, or for evening decaf.

I have the refillable K-cup, and use it almost exclusively. It works great. I've found that the refillable basket part lasts me about 4 months (I brew 3-5 cups a day) before it gets clogged with oils that I can't clean off. I just ordered these Medelco baskets to replace my Keurig brand basket. They've got good reviews, so I'm hopeful that they'll work just as well (since they are half the price).

I think the coffee that comes out of the Keurig is just OK. I don't like it enough to actually buy one. My preferred method of coffee-making is via Aeropress: http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-80R08-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292357168&sr=8-1. I grind and brew single servings at a time--takes about as long as making a cup of tea. Now that I have the hang of it, I prefer coffee made this way to almost anything else. Another plus is that dh & I can make different strengths of coffee at the same time. I use 1 scoop of beans (and add lots of milk), and he uses 3 scoops of beans. :)

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and only drink 1-2 cups a day. I also tend towards acid reflux.

Making a cold brew concentrate and then diluting and heating it up in the microwave has been the way to go for me. I only have the mess twice a week at most, and it doesn't bother my tummy at all.

I use 1 cup of coffee in 6 cups of water overnight and then strain it through a coffee filter set in a small drainer. Here's the basic technique:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/cold-brewed/

Just a thought...

I have the refillable K-cup, and use it almost exclusively. It works great. I've found that the refillable basket part lasts me about 4 months (I brew 3-5 cups a day) before it gets clogged with oils that I can't clean off. I just ordered these Medelco baskets to replace my Keurig brand basket. They've got good reviews, so I'm hopeful that they'll work just as well (since they are half the price).

The Keurig has saved us money too. We were using a ton of beans doing the Melita filter method. We've cut our coffee bean habit in 4th using the Keurig with the refillable cup. We did suffer a bit of a caffeine withdrawal. :D But now we're good.

I love it for the tea. Hot water faster than I can boil on the stove top. Really nice too for hot chocolate for the kids. We take ours camping for that.

I love my Keurig! I drink two cups per coffee per day and I like mine weak enough that I actually use each of my Kcups twice so I get two cups out of one pod.:)

I also have people over often and love having the variety so each guest can choose exactly what they want. They love it too!:)

Dh and ds like hot chocolate so I buy those pods for them. Dd likes a cup of coffee a couple of times per week. She particularly likes the pumpkin spice and gingerbread blends out this time of the year.

Ours gets used every single day and has replaced my regular coffee pot.

I think the coffee that comes out of the Keurig is just OK. I don't like it enough to actually buy one. My preferred method of coffee-making is via Aeropress: http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-80R08-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292357168&sr=8-1. I grind and brew single servings at a time--takes about as long as making a cup of tea. Now that I have the hang of it, I prefer coffee made this way to almost anything else. Another plus is that dh & I can make different strengths of coffee at the same time. I use 1 scoop of beans (and add lots of milk), and he uses 3 scoops of beans. :)

I am not a coffee expert, and honestly don't have the time nor the want to grind my own beans. I am the only coffee drinker anyways-DH has never found a cup of coffee he likes.

I love my Keurig! I drink two cups per coffee per day and I like mine weak enough that I actually use each of my Kcups twice so I get two cups out of one pod.:)

I also have people over often and love having the variety so each guest can choose exactly what they want. They love it too!:)

Dh and ds like hot chocolate so I buy those pods for them. Dd likes a cup of coffee a couple of times per week. She particularly likes the pumpkin spice and gingerbread blends out this time of the year.

Ours gets used every single day and has replaced my regular coffee pot.

This sounds like us :)

I have a Kureig and I love it. I make 1 or 2 cups a day - normally iced coffee. The kids use it for hot water for hot chocolate (we use regular packets of HC - much cheaper). Seriously - love it.

J will enjoy getting some hot chocolate while we have our drinks, he will think it is "so cool" his gets made like Mommy's and Daddy's.

The Keurig has saved us money too. We were using a ton of beans doing the Melita filter method. We've cut our coffee bean habit in 4th using the Keurig with the refillable cup. We did suffer a bit of a caffeine withdrawal. :D But now we're good.

I love it for the tea. Hot water faster than I can boil on the stove top. Really nice too for hot chocolate for the kids. We take ours camping for that.

Yes that! I use it for hot water as well. I just rinse the little filter between uses and then throw it in the silverware basket in the evenings to clean it and we have never had to replace it in the 2 years we have used it. I just tap out the loose grinds, rinse, and refill. Doesn't take me that long and it is much cheaper than the plastic cups.

Check the reviews at Amazon for the different models. That is how we learned about all of the options.

Also, several posters mentioned Kohl's. For once, we did not find Kohl's price to be the best, even with discounts and Kohl's cash. Of course Kohl's prices change about every 12 minutes, so YMMV. The best price I have seen this season was at a relatively upscale department store, Dillard's or Belk, I think.

A lot of outlets now (our Bed, Bath & Beyond, for instance) are only carrying the models with digital controls. If you don't care about that, you have to hunt for a base model, which is significantly cheaper. Get the one with the bigger reservoir, though, unless it is going to live right next to the sink.

Anyway, we do love ours. My husband is the only coffee drinker, but my kids use it for the hot water for tea and hot chocolate.

Terri

Ours actually will live right next to the sink, literally. Our kitchen is so small, it makes my head spin thinking about it. The space is VERY large, galley-style but the people whom built the home, only used HALF of it for kitchen space! The other half is literally an open space for our washer and dryer. Yes, we plan to remodel and have a VERY large kitchen :D

The most basic model seems nice enough, I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just something to make a cup or two of coffee a day and then a cup or two of hot tea or hot chocolate as well.