Menu

s/o explaining female cycle to young boys

The younger the girl/boy the more likely they will forget it and certainly not comprehend it, so I don't see the point.

That's completely untrue. It simply becomes part of their reality in the same way that urination or defecation is. Menstruation is similarly a physical process. To each her own, but I really do not understand the secretive aspect of it at. all. :001_huh:

Some of the stuff in this thread is making me think about all the mixed messages we send to parents in our society. As in, many, many people seem to think that it's deeply wrong when parents take their eyes off of a kid, under say, ten, in public. Yet at the same time, we're supposed to somehow magically not ever have them in a bathroom with us? I'm not saying that either stance is right or wrong, just that unless you have the ability to hold it indefinitely, that these two ideals of parental behavior cannot co-exist.

This reminds me of the first time I threw Parents Magazine across the room (someone game me a subscription and it took me years to get rid of it. I knew it would make me mad every time I read it, but I couldn't help myself.). In the exact same issue, there was a huge article about taking care of yourself and finding time for you. Hey, yeah, that's important. But then there was a separate thing about babyproofing that said that if you ever leave your toddler alone in a room even for a second that you're totally responsible for whatever happens. WOW. That's some crazy mixed messages.

Some of the stuff in this thread is making me think about all the mixed messages we send to parents in our society. As in, many, many people seem to think that it's deeply wrong when parents take their eyes off of a kid, under say, ten, in public. Yet at the same time, we're supposed to somehow magically not ever have them in a bathroom with us? I'm not saying that either stance is right or wrong, just that unless you have the ability to hold it indefinitely, that these two ideals of parental behavior cannot co-exist.

This reminds me of the first time I threw Parents Magazine across the room (someone game me a subscription and it took me years to get rid of it. I knew it would make me mad every time I read it, but I couldn't help myself.). In the exact same issue, there was a huge article about taking care of yourself and finding time for you. Hey, yeah, that's important. But then there was a separate thing about babyproofing that said that if you ever leave your toddler alone in a room even for a second that you're totally responsible for whatever happens. WOW. That's some crazy mixed messages.

It's all part of making sure we're too paranoid to actually think.

I must make time for myself or I am a bad parent.

I must never leave them alone or I am a bad parent.

Am I spending too much time with myself? Too much time with them? AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry for dredging up this thread, but it had to happen. With the "funniest" lines of December thread, I found the "boys and periods" thread interesting.

Anyway, I'm only halfway through it, but talking about pools and periods reminded me of this.

I was a lifeguard in the summers as a kid, we taught lessons in the mornings, and guarded during the afternoon. Some of the other guards and I were talking about our periods for some reason. One of the guards was a Catholic (of a more conservative type, perhaps) and said they weren't supposed to use tampons. We asked what she did when it was that time of the month and she was teaching lessons. Her response. "Nothing, really. It dilutes."

Could could have heard a pin drop!

Girl, stick a plug in it!

:lol:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Sorry for dredging up this thread, but it had to happen. With the "funniest" lines of December thread, I found the "boys and periods" thread interesting.

Anyway, I'm only halfway through it, but talking about pools and periods reminded me of this.

I was a lifeguard in the summers as a kid, we taught lessons in the mornings, and guarded during the afternoon. Some of the other guards and I were talking about our periods for some reason. One of the guards was a Catholic (of a more conservative type, perhaps) and said they weren't supposed to use tampons. We asked what she did when it was that time of the month and she was teaching lessons. Her response. "Nothing, really. It dilutes."

Could could have heard a pin drop!

Girl, stick a plug in it!

:lol:

:eek::eek::eek: I don't think I'll ever be able swim in a public pool again:001_huh:

This is probably a stupid question but why can't Catholics use tampons?

Just wondering, (not judging) Why would a boy that young need to know anything about that? I truly cannot imagine why that would be a need to know thing for a young boy. I have noticed people teach children about s3x early nowadays but that? I am really just wondering.

I teach reproduction from the get go, using the right words, just as I use the right words for the mandible and the patella. At this point human reproduction doesn't get a bit more attention than the bees and the flowers. By making it all a ho-hum part of bio, I intend to avoid fixation on the mysterious. Then, when puberty hits, it will be the consequences of s3x that will be the point of the story, not ovulation.

Kiddo doesn't have any sisters to grow up with. He needs women demystified on purpose.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Because they are Satan's Little Cotton Fingers.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0999/cotton.html

:lol: (in the interest of full disclosure, that site is NOT Catholic!!!

I'm confused, is that site a spoof? It read like a spoof but I'm guessing that it's a take on some thinking tampons are evil? I'm a conservative Christian but this is news to me. Guess I don't want to know what "they" think of my menstrual cups, LOL.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yes, it's a spoof. Some EXTREMELY conservative xians think that tampons are evil, I think because their "area" is supposed to be reserved for sex and childbirth and nothing else.

Wow, you just never know what you'll learn when you visit the hive, LOL.

This made me laugh; I'll tell you why.

I grew up in a home where these sorts of things were simply not discussed and I've always been VERY private about them - I'm not the wife who adds "tampons" to the list I give my husband for grocery runs, I don't leave the boxes sitting out in the bathroom, I don't take part in convos about PMS or whatever with the girlfriends, etc etc.

Well, dd14 got her 'time' back about six months ago and, having grown up with me as her model for how we treat these things (not saying I'm a good one, just that I was it), you'd think she'd be the same right?

Nope.

The minute her father comes in from work she's all "Dad! Dad! Guess what? I got my period!" and waving her new box of colorful rainbow (marketed to teens) pads at him. :laugh:

Quiet, private mom does not always result in quiet, private child!

:lol::lol::lol:

I am the opposite really. ALthough my upbringing was with a mother who never talked about menstruation, even though nudity was comfortable and normal in my home, I was determined to be more open with my kids- and I am and always have been. But I havent seen my kids naked for years now! Dd is great talking to me about her periods and I am glad for that...but would never talk to her dad, beyond a quick explanation that she has cramps or something.

You know, its a great testament to your dd's relationship with her father that she would do such a thing. I think its beautiful.

As for this thread...I would just increase the details of the information given to the kids, in a very matter of fact way. If they are ready, one of those "Where Do I Come From?" type books (cartoon type) can be fine. I do think it's fine to share whatever information a kid is asking for, at whatever age, rather than making a big deal about it when they are older. It's just life. I didnt know anything till I was 11- sex, periods, any of it- I was mortified that something so important wasn't told to me earlier and I felt quite betrayed- and recognised it was largely because of shame around the issues with my parents, rather than any need to leave it so long.

However, different people are going to have different comfort levels with how much they let their kids see- especially if they have issues around nudity and exposure of body parts. My kids saw plenty up to a certain age, then I just tended to be a little bit more private, although nudity is still normal for dh and I, and the kids will walk in on us getting dressed or talk to us while in the shower etc - they are both very private.

Each to their own- and no need to make anyone else wrong. While there can be some shame issues, or religious conditioning around nudity, it can also be a matter of shyness or natural modesty that seems to be stronger in some than others.

Interesting thread. I don't use tampons, never have. I don't like to insert things in my vagina. I use pads. However, I never heard about being Catholic having anything to do with it. It was just part of my personal opinion (and my mom's).

My ds, 6 1/2 at the time, saw me taking my pregnancy test. He was curious, I thought it was a good practical science lesson. I was supposed to be ruling out pregnancy. When I was in shock holding the stick after I'd peed on it (which immediately turned the bright sign that signaled pregnancy), ds was the one, all excited, holding the instructions in his hands and shouting, You're pregnant! It says here you're pregnant! Yay!! :lol:

Ds knows where and how babies come to the world, but we only answer questions as needed. He has seen his own water birth on video, and dd's birth. He's going to cut the cord at this dd's home birth. He's very involved, very happy and very matter-of-fact about female nakedness, breastfeeding, births, etc. To him it's just normal. We talked and explained (I'm also a childbirth educator) since he was preschool age.

Dd (3) is watching ds' birth some time today.