Menu

More surgery today, prayers please

Hi everyone! Again, I am still a newbie but was so overwhelmed by the prayers and good thoughts I received the first time I went to surgery last month that I wanted to come back and again ask for prayers.

I know there is so much need on the board right now and even though I have not responded to everyone, I have been praying for each and everyone's needs as well.

Just a refresher, I was dianosed with early stage breast cancer in Sept of this year. I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on Nov 10. On Nov 11 (my birthday) I had to go back for emergency surgery to stop a bleed on one of the reconstructed sides.

On Sunday after my first visit back to church since the surgeries I noticed my shirt was wet, thinking it was my water bottle I had on my chest while I had taken my nap leaked went into to change. Found out that what it really was, was my incision and flap had become infected and was oozing very heavily. I went to the doctor yesterday and it was declared that the reconstruction (not the second surgery side, the one that WAS healthy) was dying. (I used my own tissue for the reconstruction).

I will be having emergency surgery this afternoon to clean out the area and find out what if anything is salvagable. There are a few options for reconstruction if it is decided that the entire reconstruction needs to be removed but nothing can be decided until they open me up to see.

I am asking for prayers that the minimum of surgical intervention is needed that this infection is just superficial. I will have to spend at least 1 night in the hospital, I am still recovering from the anemia that the first 2 surgeries caused only a month ago so hopefully that will not cause any further complications.

Thank you all so much!

THANK YOU so much everyone.

I am out of surgery and pretty drugged so I thought I'd take advantage of the pain free moments to update everyone. I lost the breast, the reconstruction tissue was dead/dying. I will now be "lopsided" until they can go back in a few months from now and put in a tissue expander that they will replace with an implant to even me out again.

This was my worst nightmare as far as this surgery was concerned. On the plus side it does not affect my cancer diagnosis, that is still Stage 0 this was just one of those unfortunate things that happens to very few people (lucky me)

Please keep the prayers coming, I have a long(ger) road ahead of me still. I dont' know when we will be able to get back to schooling Emma, the good news is she only 6 so technically in our state we do not HAVE to have her in school yet so we will just catch up as the years go by.

Dawn