Menu

Men's electric shavers...

Is an electric razor a personal item that you'd never share with your brother?

I have 3 whiskery boys who seem to drag their feet about shaving. I'm not sure why, but they procrastinate terribly, and I just can't stand the scraggly look on Sundays. You know, not the "I have facial hair and I like it" look, but the "I have facial hair, know it looks bad, but can't be bothered" look. :D

I'm thinking they might do better with an electric razor that lived on the bathroom counter, right within sight, always ready. So many of the electric razors/shavers have terrible reviews though! I'm thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKZMHK/ref=oss_product

I can't afford three of them though. Is it something where they could share it, or is that one of those unmentionable disgusting things like sharing a bath towel? :001_huh:

Being a token male around here, I'd like to help, but I hate electric razors with the passion of a thousand suns. So I'm not much help, other than to say I've know men who were very persnickety about the idea of someone else using their shaver, and others with a more relaxed attitude. But I think most men don't like the idea very much. It is not a plan that strikes me as a good idea.

Bill (trying to help, but failing :D)

My guys are five years apart so I only have one with the, "I have facial hair, know it looks bad, but can't be bothered" look so far.

I think if they were closer in age and it was an issue, I would ask them how they felt about it. I suspect my boys would say, "Eh. I don't care. It's not like we're sharing a toothbrush."

A good razor is expensive so if they wouldn't mind, I wouldn't buy more than necessary.

my teen boys said they do or would share a face razor but not the body razor

I didn't even know their where men's electric body razor until my very early shave/hairy taken after dad and hating it started shaving chest/stomach and I don't want to know what else;)

It seems that hairlessness is a PS teenager think, my nephew got my son to body shaving after spending the summer with us.

Sorry got side tracked about the body shaver that has nothing to do with your post. The whole idea is just new to me.

I would think if your boys are close and already share a bathroom/bedroom then a electric razor would probably be shared without problem.

My guys are five years apart so I only have one with the, "I have facial hair, know it looks bad, but can't be bothered" look so far.

I think if they were closer in age and it was an issue, I would ask them how they felt about it. I suspect my boys would say, "Eh. I don't care. It's not like we're sharing a toothbrush."

A good razor is expensive so if they wouldn't mind, I wouldn't buy more than necessary.

Obviously, this was the answer I secretly wanted! Thank you. :tongue_smilie:

It seems that hairlessness is a PS teenager think, my nephew got my son to body shaving after spending the summer with us.

Sorry got side tracked about the body shaver that has nothing to do with your post. The whole idea is just new to me.

:001_huh: Um, yeah, that's a new idea to me too! I guess I've only really heard of the complete hair removal thing from intense bicyclists.

3 of my 4 are shaving. None like the idea of sharing razors. When they became "of shaving age" I purchased each of them a nice razor set - different colors for each. DS#2 wanted an electric so he saved his money and purchased one - loves it. We were always taught (pharmacy school) that razors were in the same category as toothbrushes. Because one can nick skin, various diseases can be passed from person to person. Even skin borne conditions/infections can be passed on. Since my boys are still in the acne stage, I think their razors can probably get a bit messy.

It seems that there is no universal love of electric razors - either you do or you don't. Dh hates them; FIL has a super deluxe one that he cares for lovingly.

Dh was sharing his with ds, but not for long. I guess he harbors some ick factor. He dragged out an old cheap corded one and gave it to ds to use until we can get him his own for Christmas. Ds would have been perfectly happy sharing it. We aren't going with a "good" one. According to dh, the long fuzz that ds has right now can be cut by anything easily. No need to spend the $ to get a better razor until the "real" hair comes in. (Of course, ds is only 13. Your boys might have that coarse stuff already.)

Can't put anything past you :D

....and what's wrong with a few razor blades?

Bill

Ugh. Just that by the time you multiply it x4 that's quite a lot of razor blades. I don't like buying disposable anything, if I can avoid it. I don't love finding whiskers in the sink (and yes, I'm wimping out, and I'm tired of correcting for that). I don't like constantly needing to remember to buy blades, and I don't like seeing razors x4 all over the bathroom. {Sigh} I'm on the home stretch with most of my boys, but it's been a lot of years, and I'm ready to help them along, but not correct them constantly over inconveniences. I'd rather save my counsel for the "big stuff". ;)

ETA: Besides, if I correct the whiskers in the sink thing, what will their wives have to complain about someday? ;-)

Well, we share bath towels so.... Calvin and his father share one electric razor - no complaints so far.

Laura

Um, well, now I feel awkward...I should have realized that there will definitely be someone who's ok with sharing bath towels. :blush: We don't share 'em, but we do each have a towel that we use for a week between washings. :001_smile:

I think I'll just get the razor and leave it on the bathroom counter. Whoever wants to use it can do so, and whoever doesn't can just *go buy their own disposables*. :001_smile:

Um, well, now I feel awkward...I should have realized that there will definitely be someone who's ok with sharing bath towels. :blush: We don't share 'em, but we do each have a towel that we use for a week between washings. :001_smile:

I think I'll just get the razor and leave it on the bathroom counter. Whoever wants to use it can do so, and whoever doesn't can just *go buy their own disposables*. :001_smile:

First, men should not shave with "disposables" as they are really poor quality.

Second, as Cynthia mentioned, sharing electric razors is not sanitary. One can pass all sorts of serious illnesses. It doesn't compare to sharing a towel. There might be a feeling of security in having it be "all in the family" but would you have them share a single electric toothbrush head? It really is not a good health practice.

Bill

I would have to be in the "not sharing razors" group. Yes, it's all in the family, and if you lived in a bubble altogether, I might say, "Eh, who cares?" But in a bubble you don't live. I would want to encourage them to not share personal products with others - don't want them to get in the habit of it for the future.

Keep in mind that when seeing reviews for electric razors, you are dealing with a wide variety of men, and most are not younger men starting in their shaving careers. ;) My dad prefers Braun - his last one lasted 3 years. My dh? Doesn't like electric at all, and completely agrees that disposables are a waste of money. However, when he was a teen? His opinion was much different.

First, men should not shave with "disposables" as they are really poor quality.

Sorry, my shaving lingo is limited. I don't think I mean "disposables" as in, throw away the whole thing. I mean "disposables" as buying blade after blade and throwing them away. I think of anything I have to continuously buy & toss in the trash as disposable.

I think I'll get the electric razor, leave it on the counter, and allow them to share for a week or two. That way I'll be able to tell which of them would like one of their own. I can afford to buy them for the ones who will use it, but didn't want to buy one for each and then find that some of them won't use it.

Edited by Julie in CA

Here electric shavers are personal items. Dh would never think of sharing his with ds1. So when it was time for ds1 to shave, dh bought him a disposable razor just to teach him how to use one as well as a new electric shaver for regular use.

Oh, and when it comes time for ds2 to shave I'm sure neither dh nor ds1 will be willing to share their shavers with him. They're persnickety that way. ;)

Cinder

Sorry, my shaving lingo is limited. I don't think I mean "disposables" as in, throw away the whole thing. I mean "disposables" as buying blade after blade and throwing them away. I think of anything I have to continuously buy & toss in the trash as disposable.

I think I'll get the electric razor, leave it on the counter, and allow them to share for a week or two. That way I'll be able to tell which of them would like one of their own. I can afford to buy them for whichever will use it, but didn't want to buy one for each and then find that some of them won't use it.

You could get them a "straight-edge" razor, these are not disposable (in any sense of the word) and are super-macho :D

Bill

You could get them a "straight-edge" razor, these are not disposable (in any sense of the word) and are super-macho :D

Bill

Lol! Macho they are (the straight-edge razors, I mean!). Actually I kind of like that, 'ya know, the mug with the big brush, etc. The problem is that I think I watched a slasher movie or two in my youthful years, and I can't reconcile that with giving straight-edge razors to my boys. :001_huh:

Lol! Macho they are (the straight-edge razors, I mean!). Actually I kind of like that, 'ya know, the mug with the big brush, etc. The problem is that I think I watched a slasher movie or two in my youthful years, and I can't reconcile that with giving straight-edge razors to my boys. :001_huh:

Mix straight-edged razors with big doses of testosterone and you do take certain risks :D

Bill