Menu

TV & video question from an anti-TV mom

We have a strict anti-TV policy in our home.

Therefore, I have no data regarding quality TV (or videos) for preschoolers.

We are guests for the holidays in a home where the expectation will be that the kids (mine and their same-aged cousins) watch a video for an hour after dinner/before bed while the grown-ups talk.

Our sons are 12 months old and 2 years and 8 months old.

We are looking for something educational - esp. numbers and counting and/or letters. I grew up on Sesame Street and this is my back-up option, but I'd love to know about anything terrific out there.

I would be so grateful for your recommendations!

Thanks!

Dora is good, I think, as it incorporates all of that.

But honestly, my children were probably 2-3 before they ever noticed the TV long enough to sit in front of it for more than five minutes. I don't see your 12 month watching at all. But then, perhaps so the TV would be SOO new to them, they will be entranced, at least for that hour.

My guys loved the Baby Einstein videos at that age. The Leap Frog videos are also very educational but maybe just a bit above their level. If your guys are not used to being entertained by a video be prepared for them not to be entranced. My oldest has always loved watching any kid video but my youngest would only sit for maybe 5 -10 minustes and then get up and want to play or do something else.

I am an advocate for a reasonable amount of exposure to good stuff. I didn't like the idea of cartoon things, nor fast-paced TV. I exposed my son to what I considered good but not emotionally mature material (like Death of a Salesman). Life of Birds was a start. My son also watched the Nutcracker, and "dance" was his first verb. By three he loved The General with Buster Keaton, and Chaplin. When he was 7, as a treat, he got Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts (60s version) or the old 50s TV show of Robin Hood. You know what he loves at 8? All in the Family. He imitates the accents, cackles over Archies mispronunciations, and he thinks Gloria is cute. I like how it is so much like a play, and how I can introduce him to parts of culture we don't see. Why is that man in funny collar talking such bad Latin? He's a priest that Archie is "testing". A Day at the Races is next on my list.

We listened to more things. I was amazed how a just 4 could be riveted by a reading of Island of the Blue Dolphin (read by Tantoo Cardinal). We also listened to the Vox Music masters over and over and over. My son loved the story of Berlioz, particularly when he was 4 and 5.

I believe there was a study, and the Baby Einstein kids started talking later, by a month or two. IMO, the video medium is so "powerful" (I think of it as dreaming for free), you don't need to sweeten and color it pink for even very littles to track it. YMMV, but I thought I'd give you a minority report. (As for Sesame Street: yuck)

We are guests for the holidays in a home where the expectation will be that the kids (mine and their same-aged cousins) watch a video for an hour after dinner/before bed while the grown-ups talk.

Our sons are 12 months old and 2 years and 8 months old.

We are looking for something educational - esp. numbers and counting and/or letters. I grew up on Sesame Street and this is my back-up option, but I'd love to know about anything terrific out there.

I would be so grateful for your recommendations!

Thanks!

I would go with Baby Einstein. I remember my ds liking the Old McDonald one a lot. Is there an older cousin that could perhaps sit and entertain the children instead? Read a book or listen to an audio tape. I don't see a room of infants to preschoolers staying focused on the tv exclusively. I think the adults will still wind up redirecting their attention some what.

I don't think this is going to work. Older non-tv kids may well be fascinated enough to watch a dvd for the first time, but children your dcs ages are not likely to be.

Your post brought to mind a long-anticipated trip to see a lovely spinster aunt. She had been hoping for us to come for years and had a fine collection of videos she had been picking up for the children. We had three at the time, 1,3,5 an they hated, hated, hated being force to watch tv. They had seen very little tv or movies.The first film was Lady and the Tramp (a shooting scene starts the movie). I really tried to get the kids to watch because this clearly was one of those things for this aunt--she really wanted to share these disney films with my children. She also wanted them to be calm and stay way from the nick-nacks, china, and toy poodle. Anyway, they wouldn't watch them, but the didn't mind an animal show one of the evenings. (The baby just was on my lap or DH's most of the time. That bugged my aunt. Why I do not know.)

Anyway, I wouln't worry overmuch about finding educational fare. It's a one shot deal, right? Go for pure entertainment--the weston woods/scholastic dvds are based on children's books and are not too flashhy, fast-paced, etc. You can borrow them from the NYPL so you aren't stuck with them forever.

How old are the other children?

Edited by yellowperch

Another vote for the leapfrog DVDs for your older child. The younger probably won't be interested, but maybe.

Mine watch Hermie cartoons too, but again probably the older one, not the younger. My 3yo and 5yo like those best. Heads up though, that these are Christian content (not sure if you are so always try to warn people).

http://www.amazon.com/Hermie-Common-Caterpillar-Tim-Conway/dp/140030119X

:iagree:

These!

Absolutely marvelous learning tools. Even an anti-TV parent should appreciate just how well these videos teach letter recognition and beginning phonics. Search no further, these are the best.

Bill

If Mr. Rogers doesn't hook them, Blue's Clues is another good option. Little kid silliness with toddler/preschool level critical thinking, and it doesn't drive me crazy. (I'm thinking of Baby Einstein. Not my cup of tea.) The first 3 seasons of Blue's Clues are available as Instant View on Netflix, if you have access to that. We also like the Scholastic Storybook Classics videos, which can be bought in sets or individually. Our library has lots of them.