Menu

Sewing curriculum? What is out there?

MomLovesClassics

I found Stitches & Pins, what else is out there that is good for beginners?

I found this:

http://www.homesteadoriginals.com/blog/2010/11/08/free-sewing-classes-for-homeschool-families-online/

Can someone please share what they have found and liked? We believe Santa is bringing 3/4 size machine for Christmas, and would like to teach our girl to sew. I also need to brush up on my skills in the process! I think Santa may bring me a sewing machine too! both my aunts are experts with more than 40 years experience, but they live too far away.

Thanks Everyone!

These are not curricula...

There are those Winky Cherry books, and a new one called Sewing School by Lisle; you can see an excerpt on Google Books and Amazon.

There is a tiny bit of this covered in Amanda Soule's first book and her blog (soulemama).

Also there is See and Sew.

Some of these are hand sewing books so this may not help too much.

I just saw listed on the Midwest Homeschool Convention's exhibitors for 2011: (I don't know anything about them however).

Sew & Sew

Sew Teach Me

The Sewing Basket

My daughter takes a 1x a week class from someone locally who teaches from a curriculum called Kids Can Sew, and it is just great. She just finished the most darling denim skirt, and she's only 7 and has just started. http://www.kidscansew.com/learntosew.html I can sew, but since a couple of friends are taking this too, I let her go to the class. The teacher has done it for a long time, like 20 years.

You can also check with your local fabric store(s). B is currently enrolled in a beginning kids' sewing class at one of ours. He has learned how to thread the machine, wind the bobbin, and is currently sewing a pillowcase.

That's how Bacon got started last year. We gave her lessons as her Christmas present and she loved it!

Edited by mathmom

Did Santa get any help from an elf who sews? My only advice is to get a machine that starts smoothly and has a "turtle" or half speed. I'd rather have one good machine than two that make you frustrated. Kenmore and Janome have some good little units, and I even know someone who got into a really nice older Pfaff off Craigslist. An older, higher end machine like that is even better than a new one. Those old european ones are built like tanks!

As for learning to sew, well you just do it. Pick simple little things and go for it. I had such a negative experience with it growing up, I was scared to jump back in when I got married. You really have to just jump in. Is there anything particular your dc want to sew? My dd and her friends love to sew doll clothes more than anything. They don't even use patterns! They just cut out shapes and sew them till they look like they want. This is ok too! A lot of the early learning curve is just learning how to control fabric and make it go the way you want. If your machine has a needle down feature (where it stops with the needle down), that will help too.

The small plasticky machines really are a waste of money, and I wouldn't buy one from Walmart. It will just give you too much grief in the long-run.

I couldn't find a suitable curriculum, so I've been putting one together for myself.

Rough outline: I've picked a few patterns that I think the kids can get a nice result with; found a website with really great downloads of information on things like sewing a plain seam, up to much more involved stuff; and worked out a plan of attack for teaching them. I'm not quite ready to go, but we're not starting until January, so I don't need to be. :)

Miranda

Edited by min

How old is your daughter? The reason I ask is that the CLE Home Ec program has a sewing component - it's a high school level course though. I have it, but my daughter (14) hasn't gotten very far into yet, so I can't specifically comment on the sewing section right this moment. I ordered it from here, but their website seems to be broken at the moment. Hopefully they'll get it fixed up soon! :)

I just saw listed on the Midwest Homeschool Convention's exhibitors for 2011: (I don't know anything about them however).

Sew & Sew

Sew Teach Me

The Sewing Basket

My daughter takes a 1x a week class from someone locally who teaches from a curriculum called Kids Can Sew, and it is just great. She just finished the most darling denim skirt, and she's only 7 and has just started. http://www.kidscansew.com/learntosew.html I can sew, but since a couple of friends are taking this too, I let her go to the class. The teacher has done it for a long time, like 20 years.

Do you, or does anyone else, know who offers the first & third options? When I googled them, there were many sites, even when I added learn to sew. I think I found the middle one.

I'm looking for my 12 yo who had one beginner sewing lesson and who is getting a used Singer sewing machine this month for a great price. She makes clothes for stuffed animals and little dolls by hand with no patterns already on her own, so she does like sewing if it's for fun.

The See & Sew I was referring to is this retro-styled book by Tina Davis:

http://www.amazon.com/See-Sew-Sewing-Book-Children/dp/1584794917/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

There are also several cute ones on Google Books with patterns for things like dolls. For example

When mother lets us sew

and

Elementary needlework:A suggestive manual for sewing in kindergarten and primary schools

(Again, though, these are for hand sewing.)

The See & Sew I was referring to is this retro-styled book by Tina Davis:

http://www.amazon.com/See-Sew-Sewing-Book-Children/dp/1584794917/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

There are also several cute ones on Google Books with patterns for things like dolls. For example

When mother lets us sew

and

Elementary needlework:A suggestive manual for sewing in kindergarten and primary schools

(Again, though, these are for hand sewing.)

Thanks. She does that, too, but these look too young for her. I will look up the patterns, although she hates the idea of having to trace patterns, cut them out, etc--she would use already made patterns. She makes her clothes (that actually fit and are finally starting to look half decent now) with no patterns and no real training.

I may have to check the local fabric store or see if any homeschooler teaches this for dc her age (most classes I've seen were for younger dc, as was the one she took a few years ago.)

Do you have programs through your parks department or other community organization? I occasionally see sewing classes for kids run there by experienced sewing teachings. I've also heard of some 4H clubs doing this.

Anyhow here was something last year on Sew Mama Sew that might be useful for anyone looking for hand sewing resources.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=932

I think she may be ready for a good, clear intro sewing book and some decent basic patterns. Pattern Review is a great website, by the way. Kwik Sew has some boring but reliable patterns too. I don't know if you have to trace those

I've taught my oldest four and the neighbor's kid without a curriculum, and helped many others. The first four machine lessons for every person are exactly the same, but older kids move through them faster.

Lesson 1: Learn to drive

Take the thread, bobbin and needle out of the machine. Give them a 12" x 12" square of flannel, with a maze like line stitched through it with contrasting thread. Show them how to lift and lower the presser foot, turn the fabric when they get to corners, guide the colored thread that's already stitched onto their square through the mark in the middle of the presser foot, and get the chair situated for them. (Put a stool under the pedal for short kids.) Then let them drive across that square as long as they like. This is just to get them comfortable with the pedal and speed changes, and teaches them to let the machine pull the fabric while they steer.

Don't progress to lesson 2 until they are comfortable with the pedal and the machine.

Lesson 2: Needle time

Put a needle in it and let them drive across the same square with it. Show how to turn the wheel towards themselves, not the other direction, to make sure the needle is through the fabric before they lift the presser foot to turn their fabric.

Again, don't move on until they are comfortable with that needle.

Lesson 3: Thread

Cut another 12" x 12" square. Draw a different maze across it with a Sharpie. Thread the machine a few times in a row, then let them give try. Put a bobbin in. Have them stitch on the Sharpie lines. When they reach the end of their maze, show them to turn the wheel towards themselves until the little arm that holds thread is visible at the top of the machine before pulling their project out and snipping the thread. Keep repeating this last bit of information in future lessons until it becomes automatic.

Lesson 4: Seam allowance, pins, pillow

Have them help you pin their two squares together, with the mazes facing each other. You'll need to clearly mark a 3" hole to leave open in the middle of one side. I use red pins for stop signs. Teach them that they'll now be watching the little 1/2" marker next to the foot, rather than watching the line go under the foot. Marking that line on the machine with a marker or placing colored tape there is helpful. If they're unsure give them a scrap to try stitching on the edges first. Then have them sew their squares together. Let them turn it right side out on their own, poke the corners out with a finger, stuff it, and then hand sew it shut. Ta-da!

After mastering those four lessons they are ready to tackle simple projects like a pillow case, tote bag, pj pants/shorts, doll clothes, or simple stuffed toys.

Edited by SilverMoon

Karin, you might just google a type of project and get instructions for her to follow online. Frankly, the blogs people make, with step-by-step photos, are SO much better than what you'd find in most patterns or books, I don't see the point of buying. I've got quite a few books on sewing, but I usually just google my fabric and project when I want to try something new (flannel bibs, whatever). She can google tiered skirts, anything she wants. And some time ago I posted a link on the boards here for an AMAZING blog that has tons and tons and tons of free projects with fabulous photo instructions. I think it was SewMamaSew or some such thing. If you do a search you'll find my thread. I've used it to make things with dd quite successfully. (pin cushions, door stops, etc.)

http://www.visionforum.com/browse/product/?productid=67890

I just ordered this for my daughter who has wanted to learn to sew for years. They aren't giving it away but I think it is really straight forward and makes it easy to learn to actually sew clothes. There are also books on sewing as well as other video presentations for sewing there.

This looks fantastic!! Ummmmm, I wish I was getting one for Christmas :D. (We LOVE Vision Forum here :001_smile:).

I've taught my oldest four and the neighbor's kid without a curriculum, and helped many others. The first four machine lessons for every person are exactly the same, but older kids move through them faster.

Take the thread, bobbin and needle out of the machine. Give them a 12" x 12" square of flannel, with a maze like line stitched through it with contrasting thread. Show them how to lift and lower the presser foot, turn the fabric when they get to corners, guide the colored thread that's already stitched onto their square through the mark in the middle of the presser foot, and get the chair situated for them. (Put a stool under the pedal for short kids.) Then let them drive across that square as long as they like. This is just to get them comfortable with the pedal and speed changes, and teaches them to let the machine pull the fabric while they steer.

Don't progress to lesson 2 until they are comfortable with the pedal and the machine.

Put a needle in it and let them drive across the same square with it. Show how to turn the wheel towards themselves, not the other direction, to make sure the needle is through the fabric before they lift the presser foot to turn their fabric.

Cut another 12" x 12" square. Draw a different maze across it with a Sharpie. Thread the machine a few times in a row, then let them give try. Put a bobbin in. Have them stitch on the Sharpie lines. When they reach the end of their maze, show them to turn the wheel towards themselves until the little arm that holds thread is visible at the top of the machine before pulling their project out and snipping the thread. Keep repeating this last bit of information in future lessons until it becomes automatic.

Have them help you pin their two squares together, with the mazes facing each other. You'll need to clearly mark a 3" hole to leave open in the middle of one side. I use red pins for stop signs. Teach them that they'll now be watching the little 1/2" marker next to the foot, rather than watching the line go under the foot. Marking that line on the machine with a marker or placing colored tape there is helpful. If they're unsure give them a scrap to try stitching on the edges first. Then have them sew their squares together. Let them turn it right side out on their own, poke the corners out with a finger, stuff it, and then hand sew it shut. Ta-da!

After mastering those four lessons they are ready to tackle simple projects like a pillow case, tote bag, pj pants/shorts, doll clothes, or simple stuffed toys.

Moon,

These are fabulous ideas!! :001_smile: What is the average age of a beginning student on the machine? I tend to underestimate what my children are capable of (they're usually more capable than I realize) but I've NO idea about the sewing machine.

Do you have programs through your parks department or other community organization? I occasionally see sewing classes for kids run there by experienced sewing teachings. I've also heard of some 4H clubs doing this.

Anyhow here was something last year on Sew Mama Sew that might be useful for anyone looking for hand sewing resources.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=932

I think she may be ready for a good, clear intro sewing book and some decent basic patterns. Pattern Review is a great website, by the way. Kwik Sew has some boring but reliable patterns too. I don't know if you have to trace those

Thanks!

Thanks for the steps, I just printed them. I don't sew and haven't done it for years (I had to take it in Home Ec in grade 8)

Karin, you might just google a type of project and get instructions for her to follow online. Frankly, the blogs people make, with step-by-step photos, are SO much better than what you'd find in most patterns or books, I don't see the point of buying. I've got quite a few books on sewing, but I usually just google my fabric and project when I want to try something new (flannel bibs, whatever). She can google tiered skirts, anything she wants. And some time ago I posted a link on the boards here for an AMAZING blog that has tons and tons and tons of free projects with fabulous photo instructions. I think it was SewMamaSew or some such thing. If you do a search you'll find my thread. I've used it to make things with dd quite successfully. (pin cushions, door stops, etc.)

This blog looks great.

I'd buy the 7 yo the Klutz book on sewing. It has some nice little projects, perfect for that age, and comes with the supplies. Spend the next year until she is 8 looking for a good deal on a machine. Then buy a good, real machine when she is 8-9'ish and ready to use it. She can start by sewing paper to trace lines you make, then proceed to doll clothes and her own creations, and finally little projects.

http://www.patternreview.com has unbelievably good online classes that would be absolutely fine for a younger girl (8-10+). Most are really affordable and run for several weeks with an online instructor, message board/forum for questions and video courses that take the student through the entire process of creating a garment.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/index.pl

Moon,

These are fabulous ideas!! :001_smile: What is the average age of a beginning student on the machine? I tend to underestimate what my children are capable of (they're usually more capable than I realize) but I've NO idea about the sewing machine.

For my kids, boys and girls, the average is 6 years old. But they've grown up with a devoted sewing room in their house, and they've been involved in the process since they could choose fabric. :001_smile:

I'm more comfortable teaching other people's kids at 7-8yo.

Quick hijack....my 7yo dd wants to learn to sew. Should I teach her to hand sew or with a machine?

That depends on the kid in my experience. You could try a little project to gauge interest. Simple felt ornaments or a scout wallet would work great. Some kids will treasure holding a plain ole needle and thread, and others would be totally turned off of sewing if made to hand sew first. The latter can pick up valuable hand sewing skills as primarily machine projects require them.

Moon,

Thanks for the tips! You are the Mama of the Year . . . woohoo! I so admire you and your ways :D . . . Thanks for the sewing helps. A dedicated sewing room sounds dreamy . . . I'm hoping for a dedicated sewing "spot" one of these days (just a tiny little corner, out of the way, where the baby can't destroy what I'm working on please!).

Taking notes here, with nothing to add! I started this year with the kids, mostly the 6 y.o., although the 3.5 yo plays around. We have just done handsewing so far and he has loved it. We did some little felt projects. We just started making blocks for a quilt that I hope we can sew together by the end of the year, but I am a really inexperienced sewer myself and am hoping to teach myself as we go.

Moon- I love those steps you listed- those sound perfect I will have to give those a whirl when we are ready to move on to the big machine. ds does well with plain straight lines up until this point but I need to think of more ideas for him.

I've been avidly reading this thread. I am giving my BIL's family, 5 kids ages 7-13, a sewing maching for Christmas with promise of lessons when the get out of PS this summer and have been wondering what to use to teach them. There have been some great links posted, thank you.

After searching the Kids Can Sew site, I emailed and asked if the just sold the curriculum and they do here, http://www.kidsew.com/index.html . It looks like a really well thought out curriculum and I REALLY like that they have a Boy one and a Girl one. It is a bit pricey, but I'm sure you can use it for more than one child if you trace the patterns. Also, on their business site they offer a whole class on making doll clothes and the owner seems really nice and would probably sell that one as well. I think I am going to give it a try this summer.