Menu

thread on how long your high schooler is working on schoolwork??

Hello!

I remember a thread that has the poll of how long your high school homeschool student is working on school work each day?

Even with classical ed my son is done in 5 hours. He said his PS friends and relatives school all day and have homework till 11 or 12 at night.

I tried explaining to him what my life was like in PS. He thinks he is not doing enough. SIGH!!! What were the key words to find that thread?

I tried words I can think of.

Holly

Here are a couple:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166690

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225503

I plan 6 hours per day (1 hour for each credit) for my ninth grader, but he actually takes more like 7 hours per day plus additional studying for tests and writing time for longer papers.

This is just our first year of high school, but I've noticed it usually takes us about 7 hours a day. (I include his Bible study and piano practice in school time.)

Here's what we're doing, if that helps you with perspective:

*Daily Bible study

*Memory Work

*Piano

*Vocabulary From Classical Roots

*Saxon Algebra 1 (Only 20 lessons left, then on to Algebra 2)

*NCFCA Speech and Debate (Classes on Mondays. Homework spread out over the week.)

*Apologia Chemistry

*Rod and Staff Grammar

*Omnibus 2 History (Primary and secondary books)

*Henle Latin (working through Book 1)

It sure takes us a lot longer than 5 hours:

Alg II- until recently this only took 45 minutes or so. It has gotten harder so it is taking longer.

Physics- An hour a day

AP Statistics- an hour to an hour and a half a day

SOS Spanish II- 30 minutes

TOG history- and hour a day

English- an hour to an hour and a half a day for literature, writing, grammar and vocabulary

Church History- combination of CS Lewis course and TOG church history.. at least 30 minutes a day.

Then there is driver's ed and practicing piano and guitar....so it takes us about 8 hours to get through school on a good day.

Christine

It sure takes us a lot longer than 5 hours:

it takes us about 8 hours to get through school on a good day.

That's the case here as well. 7-9 hrs is pretty typical here.

9th grader:

English (which is lit, spelling (yes, he needs spelling :tongue_smilie:), grammar, comp)

pre-cal

French 2

Latin 1

astronomy

chemistry

world geography

apologetics

(he says math and astronomy each take 1 1/2 hrs which is where the extra hr comes from)

11th grader:

English

French 3

anatomy/physiology

AP psychology

pre-cal

American history

apologetics

(French 3 and anatomy each take approx 1 1/2 hrs/day)

6-8 hours a day...plus some work on weekends, especially when a paper is due. He also swims 2.5 hours each night....and some days he works with Dad 8-10 hours in the day and then comes home and does a few hours of homework. This semester he has been off and on due to health issues, but we plan on having hom back to full schedule in January...Again, due to illness, we are finishing up 10th grade this semester so his schedule looks like this:

Teaching Textbooks Alg 2 1 hour per day

A beka American Lit 45 min per day

Writing assignment 30 min/ day

Grammar/Voc. 15 min

Apologia Science (Chem) 1-1/2 hr. / day Labs take an extra 1/2 hour or so.

A Beka Geography 45 min./day

Map Drill 15 min 3x/wk

Great/ Good Books Study 1-2 hours per day. This year we are studying cultures. We just finished a study on Dystopian Lit.

In Jan times will be the same but Math will be Pre-Calc, Science will be Physics, and Hx will be Economics. :D

Faithe

I think it's perfectly fine to be done in five hours as long as you're covering everything you want to cover. If he wants to do more, why not let him. Maybe there's something else he'd like to learn - another language, a specific area of science, geography, a musical instrument, robotics, whatever. That doesn't mean that you have to teach more. You can help him to find out how to go about getting the information he's looking for so he can learn on his own. Volunteer work is another great way to fill up more of his day.

If you list his courses, you may get some specific recommendations on things you may want to add if he'd like to do more. My dd would be happy to give him a couple of her courses. :lol:

My 12th grader takes 7-8 hours per day with:

Geometry/Algebra 2

MCT Word Within the Word and Magic Lens

Advanced Academic Writing Books 1,2, 3

Cultural Anthropology

Survey of World History (following AP format but based more on reality:D)

World Literature (following the 4 classical time divisions through each quarter)

SAT Review

Hello!

I remember a thread that has the poll of how long your high school homeschool student is working on school work each day?

Even with classical ed my son is done in 5 hours. He said his PS friends and relatives school all day and have homework till 11 or 12 at night.

I tried explaining to him what my life was like in PS. He thinks he is not doing enough. SIGH!!! What were the key words to find that thread?

I tried words I can think of.

Holly

I have a 10th grade dd who does 4 hours in the morning, a 90 class at the ps each afternoon and usually does 1 hour of study in the evening. So that works out to 6.5 academic hours. Plus reading, and various drama classes and productions.

So how do you all balance that many hours of school work with life, free time, and chores?

I have one in 8th this year and she spends about 6 hours (sometimes longer) on schoolwork, but then I sometimes feel guilty about requiring more of her time for chores and other duties.

She's finally at a point where she doesn't complain ;) but it's me that struggles with the aspect of balance in these regards, and since I know HS will bring a bit more time spent in school work, I'm thinking ahead here and wondering how you balance it all?

:iagree:

So how do you all balance that many hours of school work with life, free time, and chores?

I have one in 8th this year and she spends about 6 hours (sometimes longer) on schoolwork, but then I sometimes feel guilty about requiring more of her time for chores and other duties.

She's finally at a point where she doesn't complain ;) but it's me that struggles with the aspect of balance in these regards, and since I know HS will bring a bit more time spent in school work, I'm thinking ahead here and wondering how you balance it all?

We're not really balanced. We live in India and there's not much to do, so dd studies most of the time. She is going to start doing some volunteer work the end of January, which might impact her schedule a little. She still wants to spend a lot of time studying. She wants to eventually go to med school, so I guess she's developing the study habit right now.

When she was younger, she did very little schoolwork -- almost nothing before 11 1/2. She did lots of ballet, art classes, reading, writing, and tons of playing, but she wasn't interested in schoolwork before middle school. Then she just plunged in, and wanted to drop the other things. So I guess she may be one of those "balanced over a lifetime" folks.:)

Ds who is a senior works about 7-9 hours a day on schoolwork. He is taking three AP classes, though. Much of it depends on the rigor of the classes.

Ds also has time to work on his technology projects and play either soccer or volleyball almost every night.

It is a lot. Sometimes he's stressed; other times he is relaxed.

I do know that the ps kids, with this kind of schedule, do schoolwork until 1 am and usually don't have the time to do the sports they would like.

About 5 hours here for dd 11th grade. I want her to have plenty of time to pursue extra interests. I feel this is the time to explore and see where those interests and talents lie. She needs free time in order to do that. Currently she spends free time writing, playing the piano, photo editing, and is just looking into video editing. Of course she spends plenty of time reading and on the computer too ;) If she were working 7-10 hours a day (:blink:) she'd be so "done" that she wouldn't want to explore other interests. I homeschool so that dd's education isn't like the public high school. I don't really care what they are doing.

I say this knowing that my junior and senior years in high school were very interest driven. I graduated with the smallest amount of science and math possible, but with the school's business award. I had time to explore my music and writing and have a life. If you looked at my transcript, you might say it was "not rigorous" but I still got accepted to the private college of my choice and graduated 10th in my class. All without Chemistry or Calculus or Latin. So I guess I look at it a lot differently than others. :D

If you are accomplishing what you want to accomplish, don't feel pressured into more work "just because."

:iagree: Totally! Our school days run anywhere from 6-9 hours---but then again we also live in an area where there is NOTHING else to do since my kids aren't into organized team sports or being outdoors ALL the time, so school is 'what' we do these days. But I do feel really guilty :001_huh: To make it more stressful for me----the public school kids here only do school 4 days a week and basically have NO homework.......ugh.

We are the exception - my sophomore dd is moving along nicely doing about 2 1/2 hrs, 5 days a week, plus a bit of extra reading beyond this time frame. I know other families that keep a very similar schedule.

She is taking 5 classes this semester since she took 7 classes last yr.

English 2

Spanish 2

Algebra 2

Apologia Biology

United States History

My 11th grader takes 7-9 hours per day to get his schoolwork done. He also works part time and hangs out with his friends several times during the week. He does chores in the morning before school (we start school at 7 a.m.) and is responsible to keep his room tidy. He also helps his dad with other things around the house.

About 5 hours here for dd 11th grade. I want her to have plenty of time to pursue extra interests. I feel this is the time to explore and see where those interests and talents lie. She needs free time in order to do that.

If you are accomplishing what you want to accomplish, don't feel pressured into more work "just because."

:iagree:

In my state, I agree to homeschool a certain number of hours per year. I kept track for years by having a schedule - we did school from this time to that time every day the public school did school, or I made up the time in the summer. Now, my son is scheduling himself, but it is still fairly easy for me to tell how much time each day on average he is spending on schoolwork and do the math to make sure we are over the number.

-Nan