Menu

Any who sew WITHOUT a sewing machine?

I am interested in sewing. I know how to sew simple things that need to be patched. I know the back stitch so the stitches are tighter.

I can't afford a sewing machine right now, but would like one in the future.

Any tips for a beginning without a machine? Any sites that have ideas that don't require a machine?

Sorry if the title says "knit", I just looked at a knitting thread. I mean sew :)

I really dislike sewing with a machine in general and much prefer to handsew. Some things are better with a machine, of course, but I could live without it. I learned to sew on a machine 20 years ago, but when I started handsewing 10 years ago, I realized why people actually like sewing.

Anyway, I checked some books out of the library to help me get started. Quilting books are a good place to look, because enough people still handpiece and handquilt that they don't look at you weird if you want to do everything by hand, and you can learn a lot of basic skills by handpiecing and quilting something.

I know crazy people who sew large sections of medieval costumes by hand. Think of all the things people sewed before sewing machines were invented. In theory, you can do the same. (In practice, I think you'd have to be nuts, heheh.)

As for "can't afford," my aunt picks up perfectly serviceable machines from the dump for virtually nothing and I've found a few at garage sales. Put a call out to your aunties. Perhaps someone has one they never use in their back cupboard you have/borrow.

Rosie

I have sewn with machines since I was about 7 or 8 but a couple of years ago a friend showed me how to hand piece and hand applique. I totally enjoy doing both of them. I have made some wall hangings using both technics and I then hand quilted them. I am presently working on a small pieced quilt. It is very relaxing for me.

I have never made a garment that way but as one other poster said, that is how they used to sew garments all the time.

I also agree that if you can find someone that can help you get started it will be easier. I pretty much taught myself as a kid and went on to make all my clothes for several years. I have even sewed professionally for people at times so I know one can teach themselves. Some times fabric shops or shops that sell sewing machines will have classes that you can attend.

I suggest keeping an eye out at thrift stores for sewing machines. We have picked up 3 for $10 and under. They all work though 1 did need a little work. You can usually find manuals online and they make for a fun project getting them cleaned and figuring out how they work. I got one old white that had never been used--at all from the looks of it! We cleaned it, oiled it, and gave it to my SIL.

I really dislike sewing with a machine in general and much prefer to handsew. Some things are better with a machine, of course, but I could live without it. I learned to sew on a machine 20 years ago, but when I started handsewing 10 years ago, I realized why people actually like sewing.

Anyway, I checked some books out of the library to help me get started. Quilting books are a good place to look, because enough people still handpiece and handquilt that they don't look at you weird if you want to do everything by hand, and you can learn a lot of basic skills by handpiecing and quilting something.

My grandmother wouldn't even consider a machine-made quilt a quilt at all. Quilts are hand-made. Those machine made things are just blankets.

Some of my grandmothers quilts are just amazing! What a work of art!

I would look at Heirloom sewing books or techniques online. Some will be machine, but many are by hand and should have good explanations of hand stitches. The other sources I have found helpful are antique magazines (from the 1920s) or old Home Ec manuals from the 1950s. While I do machine sewing, I find hand sewing to be very relaxing and I do all finishing by hand as well as some of the more fiddly sewing construction (setting sleeves, etc.).

My grandmother wouldn't even consider a machine-made quilt a quilt at all. Quilts are hand-made. Those machine made things are just blankets.

Some of my grandmothers quilts are just amazing! What a work of art!

I've been doing a lot of my quilt piecing and applique' by hand lately myself. It took me a while to work up to it because it sounded harder, but once I tried it I was hooked. No more hunching over a loud machine, and it's SO much easier to match seams and points.

And when it comes to the actual quilting, I'm afraid I've always been a bit of a hand-quilting purist...lol.

And Stephanie, if you want to drop by some afternoon I'd be happy to help you out.

Do let people in your real life know that you're interested in a machine. You'd be surprised how many people have older, serviceable machines in their garages (or in their mom's garage, etc) that they'd be happy to have someone take off of their hands. Garage sales are great too -- you can sometimes find a decent machine for $5-10. In many cases, the machines that are 30+ years old hold up better than newer inexpensive machines (like Singers from the past ~25 years, since they switched mostly to plastic parts).

Anyway, just trying to say that if you keep your eyes open and let people know that you'd like a machine, you may come across one sooner than you think for little or no money.