Menu

I'm lactose intol and I've had too much ice cream. Any help would be appreciated

Don't have any of those--do you think Tums might help?

No. BTDT. (Fellow sufferer) Gas-X will allieviate some of the cramping. The lactose pills are too late. You need to hydrate yourself with water. I'm sorry but the next few hours will be horrible... but it ends eventually. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

No help here. But a giggle....my girlfriends and I still joke about the girls weekend when we all stayed in a very small room together, and after an evening of indulging in cheesecake, discovered that one dear friend was lactose intolerant.

(She didn't know either.)

We don't bring treats with dairy along on our outings any more.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cat

Don't do it next time! Seriously. I've found that each episode gets worse. And yet, I still foolishly indulge in ice cream every once in a while. Now that my sister is living with me, she so helpfully reminds me of the last episode when I was rolling on the bed in agony all night long after a sundae. It's just not worth it.

However, if you are like me, and don't listen to sensible advice- probiotics and lots of water do help somewhat. ;)

Lactaid pills are a must for the lactose intolerant. These pills are just the lactase enzyme that lactose-intolerant folks don't produce. By taking lactaid with an occasional dairy indulgence, I am able to avoid most of the unpleasant side-effects. I carry it with me everywhere, just in case. With lactaid, I do fine with yogurt and hard cheeses. Some things like milk, cheesecake, ice cream, and anything with cream cheese will still be problematic, but the lactaid at least lessens the reaction.

Lactaid pills are a must for the lactose intolerant. These pills are just the lactase enzyme that lactose-intolerant folks don't produce. By taking lactaid with an occasional dairy indulgence, I am able to avoid most of the unpleasant side-effects. I carry it with me everywhere, just in case. With lactaid, I do fine with yogurt and hard cheeses. Some things like milk, cheesecake, ice cream, and anything with cream cheese will still be problematic, but the lactaid at least lessens the reaction.

I was going to share this info, too.

I recently learned about lactose intolerance in my nutrition class. (Have I mentioned how much I'm learning in that class? Oh, and that I happen to be getting a 115% currently? But I digress...:D)

A large percentage of the world's population lacks sufficient amounts of the lactase enzyme to properly digest lactose. My prof said that simply taking some form of the lactase enzyme with the first bite of lactose will help aid the digestion. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I believe she said you can get a pill or liquid/drop form. She also mentioned that there are products on the market that have the lactose removed? Some sort of milk (can't remember the name right now), and maybe perhaps other foods?

If *I* were lactose intolerant, I'd be carrying Lactaid with me everywhere, too. I like me some milk. :)

Why do you think I can have yogurt and cheese, but not milk itself, or large amts of ice cream? (Not terribly large, but, say, more than .5 cup)

Is lactose broken down by the heating process or something? Wouldn't pasteurization (done to milk) do that?

Guess I need to read more.

Why do you think I can have yogurt and cheese, but not milk itself, or large amts of ice cream? (Not terribly large, but, say, more than .5 cup)

Pasteurisation has killed off the enzymes in the milk that would have helped you digest them (and the ice cream ;) ) And the nice bacterias used in the fermentation process with making yogurt and cheese feed off the lactose so there isn't much left to bother you by the time they've finished.

Rosie

Pasteurisation has killed off the enzymes in the milk that would have helped you digest them (and the ice cream ;) ) And the nice bacterias used in the fermentation process with making yogurt and cheese feed off the lactose so there isn't much left to bother you by the time they've finished.

Rosie

Ah, so nonpasteurized ice cream would be the way to go? Is there such a thing?

(pleasepleasepleaseplease):D:D

Drink water. There isn't too much to help.

To find your tolerance level it just takes experimentation.

Most likely to cause problems-straight milk or cream, ice cream, dairy based soups or large quantities of dairy based sauces. On the other end are yogurt and hard cheeses. With soft cheese you just have to try. Other times it is just quantity-like pizza.

If you are very sensitive then including dairy in recipes is a problem too.

Sorry-best of luck. :001_smile:

Oh sure, Liz CA, just laugh at my distress...;):D

It's not that bad this am.

Thanks everyone--I'll keep the suggestions in mind for "next time."

I did not laugh at your original post -sorry anything gastro-intestinal is crummy - but at Parrothead's response. She sure does not mince words, eh? :D

I did not laugh at your original post -sorry anything gastro-intestinal is crummy - but at Parrothead's response. She sure does not mince words, eh? :D

Oh, if you had been laughing, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least! I was laughing at myself! :D

ETA I got her back on her dog post! ROFL!!

Totally kidding...

About the milk, ice-cream, cheese.... in addition to what Rosie said about the enzymes, cheese doesn't have very much lactose. Lactose is the milk sugar and that is what your body doesn't have the enzymes to digest. A hard cheese might only have .2 grams of sugar (lactose) and a cup of skim milk has 12 grams of sugar.

Generally, the less fat a dairy product has in it, the more lactose it is going to have.

I am lactose intolerant too. I am perfectly fine with cheese, I only have a problem with milk (skim milk is the worst).

There is a product out there that can supposedly cure lactose intolerance. You completely avoid dairy for something like 40 days and during that time you take these special probiotics to "heal" the gut. It's intriguing and gets pretty good reviews but I can't seem to find a 'good' time to avoid dairy for 40 days.:tongue_smilie: