Menu

Family...blech

Two months ago my mother called and said my sister had a baby. (the same sister I had asked in June if she was pregnant and was told no by) I was not just bouncing off the walls happy about it (she has one other child that she does not take care of, the kids have no contact with the dads, my mother said she{my mother} did not even know who the dad is this case) The last time I called my mother seemed offended I asked who the dad was. Neither of them have spoken to me since then. Last night before going to bed I saw this on my Facebook wall:

even tho u r still not speaking to our mother and i bc u think u r better then us ur still my sister and i still love u(tho i dnt know y i sld) and its ur birthday so happy birthday!

Let me just say, I do not think I am better than anyone. I have said absolutely nothing to that effect. My relationship with my mother has been odd my whole life, my grandmother raised me. I have really tried over the years to have a mother-daughter bond, but it has not happened. She is very immature, wants a friend not a daughter (like as in telling me intimate details about her and my stepfather-yuck!) So my mother posted a sweet happy birthday message on my wall. I responded with an I love you. For whatever reason it disappeared. I posted it, it's gone. So my sister sends this:

wow u r such a b**ch u tell everyone else thank you other then ur mother!!!
Her page is full of garbage that says how I am so full of myself and how I say all kinds of bad stuff about her (not true, I have kept my mouth shut) It just really gets to me that no matter what I do, I am in the wrong. Vent over. Back to your normal lives now.

:grouphug:

It sounds as if your mother and sister talk a lot and things you say (no matter how harmless) may get lost in translation.

Post on facebook that your comments aren't working right and that you wish to thank everyone for the birthday wishes. Send your mom a quick facebook message that you sent her a thank you comment and something went wacky on facebook's part. Then just wait for the smoke to clear.

:grouphug:

I am going to say this gently, but if you have a good marriage and a loving father who is there for your kids...your sister may take it as you are thinking down about her by asking about her new baby's father. She may take it as you thinking your way is right and hers is wrong. No matter what you think of her choices and her parenting skills all that is needed is a congratulations. She is obviously not married by your post and asking about the Dad if there is no significant other in the picture is a bit ....well insensitive...

We all have family that makes poor decisions. If she doesn't offer the information on baby daddy to you or grandma, then she doesn't want to talk about it.

"Sis, sorry you feel that way. Thanks for the birthday wishes, have a great day!"

You know what? I think maybe you are better than your sister, and she knows it. You're certainly better at communicating and parenting anyway. Regardless, it sounds like it's her problem, not yours. Nothing you can say is going to make them feel better about themselves until they start making choices they can be proud of. Re-post something polite to thank your mother for the bday wishes, delete the crap your sister posted on your wall, and thank the good Lord above that you're not going to raise your kids like that. And if she keeps pulling this junk, unfriend her and let her know (by private message) that you'll be glad to be fb friends again sometime in the future when she isn't using it as a public soapbox to insult you.

Hon, maybe it is time to think you might actually be a bit better than them. If for no other reason you aren't publicly insulting either of them.

Unfriend the both of them and go on with your life. Also while you are at it consider changing your phone number.

Toxic people will just continue to feed their toxicity every chance they get.

Hon, maybe it is time to think you might actually be a bit better than them. If for no other reason you aren't publicly insulting either of them.

Unfriend the both of them and go on with your life. Also while you are at it consider changing your phone number.

Toxic people will just continue to feed their toxicity every chance they get.

:iagree: Toxic is the exact word that popped into my mind when I read your post.

I'm sorry you are in this unpleasant situation, and also sorry you have a sib who communicates in such unreadable text. :grouphug:

...and communicates such strong sentiments on a more or less public forum.

I've heard you can "unfriend" someone. This may be the time.