Menu

ds10 can't hold anything down

He has been throwing up since around noon....can't hold anything down. He kept a phenigrin down for about 20 minutes...felt slightly better...begging for water....and so we gave him ice chips and a few tsps of fruit bar....and up it comes. How long does the phenigrin need to stay down before it works?

He is so sick. I haven't experienced this much with ds....should I take him to the doctor if he is still throwing up by morning? oh and he had diarrhea too Ug.

He has been throwing up since around noon....can't hold anything down. He kept a phenigrin down for about 20 minutes...felt slightly better...begging for water....and so we gave him ice chips and a few tsps of fruit bar....and up it comes. How long does the phenigrin need to stay down before it works?

He is so sick. I haven't experienced this much with ds....should I take him to the doctor if he is still throwing up by morning? oh and he had diarrhea too Ug.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dd threw up phenigrin too. Dr. prescribed a suppository. Worked within 15 minutes or so. But, I've also heard that they have some that you can rub on your skin too.

I hope he feels better soon.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dd threw up phenigrin too. Dr. prescribed a suppository. Worked within 15 minutes or so. But, I've also heard that they have some that you can rub on your skin too.

I hope he feels better soon.

I only gave him 1/2 at first...gonna give him another half and NOTHING to drink for a couple of hours...He needs to keep it down....poor baby...he has the darkest circles under his eyes..he is so weak. :(

My DD ended up in the ER 2 years in a row due to severe vomiting. My doc would never prescribe anything. She was SO dehydrated. My DD went 6 days straight keeping nothing down, throwing up/ dry heaves the ENTIRE time.

I think many viruses last at least 24 hours. Just keep giving a tsp of water every 15 mins or so, even if it comes back up. Unless you suspect food poisioning I wouldnt worry about it just yet, although it sucks.

Hugs--it's so awful to see your child so sick. I've been through it a few times with my oldest--he's one that if he starts puking, he has a hard time stopping. One time he had a particularly nasty virus and threw up every 20 minutes all night long. I called my nurse friend around 3:00 a.m. and she gave me two tests for dehydration. If he passed both, she said there was no reason to bring him to the ER. One was if the inside of his cheeks still felt moist. The other was to pinch the skin on the back of his hand. If it smoothed out again right away, he wasn't dehydrated enough to need treatment.

Even though diarrhea started in the next morning, and he continued to puke off and on throughout the next day, he still passed her tests.

Like a PP said, just give a teaspoon of water every 15 minutes. If he feels like it, add Gatorade or flat soda, but nothing else until he's gone several hours without throwing up and is able to keep down an ounce or so of liquid.

Oh, and I think oral meds need to be retained for 20 minutes to work.

Hope he's better soon.Stomach bugs are the worst!

He needs phenergan suppositories. Also do not give him anything until he has been without nausea or vomiting for several hours IMO. Talk to your doctor. After it passes, then start small sips of water or ice chips. Then clear popsicles (sp?), ginger ale (flat), then toast, crackers. My ds had N/V for over 14 hours once this past summer. It became less and less and more time in between till it stopped.

I only gave him 1/2 at first...gonna give him another half and NOTHING to drink for a couple of hours...He needs to keep it down....poor baby...he has the darkest circles under his eyes..he is so weak. :(

Did he have it by mouth? He really needs to have suppositories via rectum at the full dose which is 25 mg IMO. Ask the doctor. Oral pills are not usually given for N/V since it will often be vomited up:(. I would not give him water or any food or liquids till after a couple of hours after the Phenergan. Ask the doctor for advice IMO.

When my ds had it this past summer the doctor ordered only 12.5 mg suppositories by mistake and it did not work for ds who is 80 pounds. Many hours later when I called to ask about the dose, they ordered the 25 mg dose and it worked:)

Edited by priscilla

Did he have it by mouth? He really needs to have suppositories via rectum at the full dose which is 25 mg IMO. Ask the doctor. Oral pills are not usually given for N/V since it will often be vomited up:(. I would not give him water or any food or liquids till after a couple of hours after the Phenergan. Ask the doctor for advice IMO.

When my ds had it this past summer the doctor ordered only 12.5 mg suppositories by mistake and it did not work for ds who is 80 pounds. Many hours later when I called to ask about the dose, they ordered the 25 mg dose and it worked:)

What a night so far....I gave him another phenigrin (1/2 a pill) which he kept down for 1 hour 15 minutes....then I gave in and let him suck on a wet washcloth....within 15 min he was throwing up and back in the bathroom with the diarrhea. I feel fairly confident that he kept enough of the phenigrin down to help as he is now asleep on the sofa.....

If he is still vomiting in the am I will definitely be taking him in to see the doc.

Wow what a night. He couldn't get anything to stay down. I finally got him to keep the second half of phenigrin down for one hour 15 minutes....then a TBLE or so of water and that all came up. Then more diarrhea. But he slept some until about 3:00--I was asleep in the other room when he decided to get himself some water. I had told him not too but he was soooooo thirsty. Well, he drank a big glass and it all came up. All over his room, his bed---it was terrible. So I was up doing laundry and caring for him at 3:00. Then at 5:00 he woke me up again and said he felt better and had kept down some water (more that he got without me knowing) for a long time.

At 5:30 or so we both went back to sleep and slept until about 9:00. I think the vomiting has passed, but his eyes hurt and he is very weak. Making him some broth now.

He hasn't thrown up since I think 3.......so he is probably passed it...?? I hope.

Hopefully your ds is feeling better. And hopefully, even if he's not, it'll be VERY short-lived! It's too important of a week! Hopefully he also won't feel badly about *that*.

Fiance and I are hoping if we are going to get it that we get it NOW. Not in 3 days from now.

I usually let DC vomit for a little bit before giving meds. Diarrhea, too. That way all the bad stuff is out. Then, I give meds, if needed.

Honey works for vomiting! Give about a tablespoon after vomiting. I guess there is something about the natural antibacterial properties that help out.

I hope he feels better!