Menu

Negative hs article- TN specific

This sounds more like a family problem between this man and his ex-wife than like a homeschooling problem.

He trusted his wife to oversee the education of his children. Now they're divorcing and he doesn't think she did a very good job.

All that really shows is that he's angry with his ex-wife.

Perhaps his ex-wife adheres to an unschooling philosophy, which might well lead to the kids being "behind" in reading and math at those ages. No real way to know what was going on there!

This sounds more like a family problem between this man and his ex-wife than like a homeschooling problem.

He trusted his wife to oversee the education of his children. Now they're divorcing and he doesn't think she did a very good job.

Perhaps his ex-wife adheres to an unschooling philosophy, which might well lead to the kids being "behind" in reading and math at those ages. No real way to know what was going on there!

:iagree: Not to mention that the divorce and whatever led up to the divorce probably caused the kids stress.

The article only talks of one family and wants to use this one example to vilify a whole group of people. If this dad were really concerned about his children's education then where was he in the years they were falling behind? It sounds to me like he turned a blind eye to it, but then when they are going through a divorce he wants to use it as ammunition in court.

So the homeschooling dad is upset that his five kids are behind, and he blames it not on himself but on the umbrella school? He lived in the same house with them and never realized that his fourth grader could only read at the kindergarten level, until he saw test scores?

I guess the really annoying part is that the reporter apparently did not ask the dad about his own responsibility in the situation, and assumed that the dad's situation was typical or at least common without any evidence. Even if the dad didn't know any better, the reporter should have.

The article only talks of one family and wants to use this one example to vilify a whole group of people. If this dad were really concerned about his children's education then where was he in the years they were falling behind? It sounds to me like he turned a blind eye to it, but then when they are going through a divorce he wants to use it as ammunition in court.

:iagree:

What makes me :glare: is the fact that he's blaming his own lack of oversight, parenting, and teaching on the lack of state regulation of CRS. Man up, for crying out loud...he and his wife took on the responsibility, slacked for whatever reason, and now he's blaming the state for it? Completely pathetic.

Sorry that it happened, but just because he never took the time to work with his wife to make sure his children were educated (which, as the husband and father, he should have at least known what was going on) doesn't give him the right to blame the entire state-wide homeschooling system. Sheesh.

He really doesn't care or he would have recognized the problem. After all, if his oldest dc was in 4th grade that means he had 5 years to notice! What a hypocrite!

The real question the reporter should be asking-"How, after 5 years of homeschooling, did you fail to recognize you dc were behind? Did you never have your dc read to you? Did you neglect you parental responsibility for the first 5 years of you dc's schooling?"

I am betting the rest of the story is that he wants the kids in PS and she doesn't. It most likely has nothing to do with homeschooling at all. And he is basing all this on Sylvan testing? They are in the business of making money.

I read the article in horror as I realized I KNOW this family. And you are spot on in your assessment. I actually don't have a relationship with the family, but am aquainted with them. Wow - just... wow!

I am betting the rest of the story is that he wants the kids in PS and she doesn't. It most likely has nothing to do with homeschooling at all. And he is basing all this on Sylvan testing? They are in the business of making money.

Yep, we've seen it before. If they go to school, and she gets a job, he has less need to support them. I've watched two moms locally go through this same fight.

I agree about the Sylvan testing. They make money on kids who are behind. They are hardly objective.

So the homeschooling dad is upset that his five kids are behind, and he blames it not on himself but on the umbrella school? He lived in the same house with them and never realized that his fourth grader could only read at the kindergarten level, until he saw test scores?

I guess the really annoying part is that the reporter apparently did not ask the dad about his own responsibility in the situation, and assumed that the dad's situation was typical or at least common without any evidence. Even if the dad didn't know any better, the reporter should have.

What makes me :glare: is the fact that he's blaming his own lack of oversight, parenting, and teaching on the lack of state regulation of CRS. Man up, for crying out loud...he and his wife took on the responsibility, slacked for whatever reason, and now he's blaming the state for it? Completely pathetic.

Sorry that it happened, but just because he never took the time to work with his wife to make sure his children were educated (which, as the husband and father, he should have at least known what was going on) doesn't give him the right to blame the entire state-wide homeschooling system. Sheesh.

Hopefully one situation does not change the homeschool climate in TN for the rest of us. Aren't parents ultimately responsible for their kid's learning anyway?

There are kids who fall through the cracks no matter what. There is no proof that these kids would have done any better in public school. It sounds like a case where the parents failed their children. Other homeschoolers shouldn't be punished just because they couldn't hack it.