Menu

s/o on recession--kid's sports

Dh owns a business where he provides referees and umpires for different sports to park districts, churches, etc... Some are adult sports but the majority are kids' sports. The interesting thing is that he's seen almost no drop in business, despite the unemployment rate and recession.

My theory is that people will do almost anything to keep their kids in sports activities, even if they have to cut the budget in other areas. Just an interesting observation I guess. Does this say anything about our culture? Are we too wrapped up in kids' sports? Maybe I'm way off base? :tongue_smilie:

I don't think it is just sport, but all kids activities; music lessons, art lessons, dance.

I don't think we are too wrapped up in our kids. I, personally, think kids activities are extremely valuable and will work extra to try and provide at least one activity for my child.

None of my dc participate in sports.:D

Dh owns a business where he provides referees and umpires for different sports to park districts, churches, etc... Some are adult sports but the majority are kids' sports. The interesting thing is that he's seen almost no drop in business, despite the unemployment rate and recession.

My theory is that people will do almost anything to keep their kids in sports activities, even if they have to cut the budget in other areas. Just an interesting observation I guess. Does this say anything about our culture? Are we too wrapped up in kids' sports? Maybe I'm way off base? :tongue_smilie:

My husband is a board member, umpire and coach for our local Little League chapter. Although our area hasn't been hard hit by the recession, he has mentioned that they have given more scholarships than in previous years. This has been true for spring and fall baseball.

I wonder if this is the case in other areas and other sports/activities.

Many sports leagues have "scholarship" provisions for kids who have financial needs. The league very well may be getting hit with more scholarship requests but that wouldn't affect the officials since they are still fielding teams.

Also, most community league sports tend to be a lower cost entertainment/activity (when factored out over the season) than many of the other alternatives, like vacations, movies, dinner out, etc.

Personally speaking, I would much rather cut back on things for myself before I took my kids out of activities that they enjoyed. My DD plays soccer, DS is just starting basketball and they both take piano lessons. For me these things are an investment in their future, not because I think they will be professional sports stars or famous musicians, but I do think lifetime activity and appreciation for the arts adds to quality of life.

Where J has been able to play soccer for 4 seasons now (would have been 6 if we had realized it was there) is a whole $20 per season. This includes your registration and t-shirt. Shoes do not have to be cleats, but he does wear them.

This same place also does basketball for $35 per season. Their season is longer, hence the slightly higher price.

Not a budget breaker IMHO.

Does this say anything about our culture? Are we too wrapped up in kids' sports? Maybe I'm way off base? :tongue_smilie:

If I would rather have my kids in sports even if I have to cut back on vacations, eating out, splurge purchases, etc, it's because I (and they) get more joy out of their sports than we do out of eating out, vacations, etc. Some money gets to be spent on joy, right? If there is enough to have some "extras" then why the value judgment on what the extras are? I wouldn't keep my kids in sports and let my house foreclose, but I would cut out meat, new clothes, gift giving, cable. I would even cut out music lessons, because at this age, I know that the sports are more important to them than the music. I would have made the opposite decision 6 or 7 years ago, but their music was important to *me.*

The sports my children have participated in have been fundamental to their development as young men. I would be very upset if we had to cut them, and they would be absolutely devastated. Crushed.

My kids only get one childhood. I am not going to go hungry to pay for sports, but I will give up other things.

We have cut back on many things to keep our kids active in sports. In fact we have chosen to live in a smaller house rather than move into something larger with a bigger mortgage just so they can keep participating. Instead of taking an expensive vacation this past summer we went camping locally. I feel the skills they are gaining from sports will help them in the future.

Lesley

Our community soccer recreational league is the cheapest thing my kids do. The competitive leagues would be more. Our violin teacher, as of August, had lost a significant number of students due to economic issues. That is the most expensive activity my kids do. I wouldn't drop violin first, by choice. But if you only have "x" dollars to spend, you might take whatever you can afford so they can stay in something.

My husband is a board member, umpire and coach for our local Little League chapter. Although our area hasn't been hard hit by the recession, he has mentioned that they have given more scholarships than in previous years. This has been true for spring and fall baseball.

:iagree: This. My dh is also on the board of our local Little League and has also been a coach. This year we saw a large increase in the number of scholarships given out.

Well, if you ask my son's previous taekwondo instructor, the recession is hurting them horribly. We'll just ignore all of the horrible decisions they made like moving without telling a good chunk of their clients and then reopening 3 weeks after you promised you would, changing their hours, changing their hours again, limiting their hours, create special classes for upper belt levels and allowing the lower belts of this one family be in them, limiting the number of classes you can take even though you bought an "unlimited" contract, etc.

If you look at my son's current taekwondo classes, they are bursting at the seams with kids.

I have been a volunteer for a local rec league. The last two years I've noticed more scholarships being given.

For my own family I would cut other things, before I'd hit activities they were in. I wouldn't ad new activities, but I wouldn't put what they had on the chopping block first. I also know from the volunteering that in the cases of families that have been involved in a sport for a while, when a child is not signed up as registration gets under way the family gets a call reminding them to sign up. If at that time the family volunteers information about a financial problem they are encouraged to apply for a scholarship. So, in our league some people who were going to drop and never even thought about scholarships in their previous financial state were helped. A lot of times there is a community that develops with kids returning year after year. The community wants to keeps the kids playing as much as their own parents do.

I can see this happening. My husband is in finance and has been hit pretty hard. We have given up luxury vacations, monthly housecleaning, hubby goes now to a cheaper hair salon, and I stretch out the time between hair color/cuts, but we still spend a lot on sports (esp the traveling teams) and everything that goes along with them - equipment, photos, uniforms, training, eating out at tourneys, etc. We have cut back on the number of camps and try to only pick the ones that will be useful vs. the fun hang with your friends type. (They can hang with their friends for free at home!)

Does your dh have any advice on getting the refs/umps to actually show up? Seems like an ongoing problem in both football and baseball here. Totally frustrating to hold games waiting for someone who may or may not ever arrive.

ETA --- does it say something about our culture? I may be too "wrapped up" in it to be objective, but I don't think so. I have never been too into sports myself, but my kids love it so we help them pursue their interests. Same for other kids' activities. I don't think it's exclusive to sports activities. And it's not that we're giving up food to put the kids into sports programs, we're just giving up some of our grown up disposable income and diverting it to the kids' budget.

Edited by RanchGirl

Well: I have had exactly five days of vacation in five years; we don't have any outside housecleaning, a gardener, cable, or even a working TV (everything went digital but us); I get three or four haircuts a year; we just replaced a car that was nearly sixteen years old. Last year dh's salary was cut ten percent; now our health insurance just went up $150 A MONTH. We need a new roof.

There's not a lot left to cut. Next on the chopping block will have to be the frequency of dd's riding lessons. She's already working to pay for some of those lessons, but they won't let her work more and ride for free -- the stables are hurting, too, as riders have fallen away, horses have been sold (or in one case abandoned). Dd is an Aspie; riding is her only outside activity and it functions as, fine motor work, social skills practice, exercise, anti-anxiety activity and a job all rolled up in one. We'll do everything we can not to cut into it. But basically there's very little left to scrimp on.

I guess I didn't know that they gave scholarships. Is it park district? Interesting.

Does your dh have any advice on getting the refs/umps to actually show up? Seems like an ongoing problem in both football and baseball here. Totally frustrating to hold games waiting for someone who may or may not ever arrive.

This is the main reason my dh started his business. He'd been a umpire/referee for about 10 years as a side job and couldn't stand how terrible the other officials were b/c no held them accountable. The amount of business he's gained from unsatisfied park districts/travel teams is amazing.

His advice would be to shop around for other organizations willing to provide better quality officials. Sometimes going with the smaller, start up guy can be beneficial b/c he's trying to make a name for himself.

ETA --- does it say something about our culture? I may be too "wrapped up" in it to be objective, but I don't think so. I have never been too into sports myself, but my kids love it so we help them pursue their interests. Same for other kids' activities. I don't think it's exclusive to sports activities. And it's not that we're giving up food to put the kids into sports programs, we're just giving up some of our grown up disposable income and diverting it to the kids' budget.

I don't think you sound too wrapped up. But it seems that as a culture we may be.

Our area gives them out to anyone who asks. It doesn't raise the price for other families. They ask for donations and use those.

I can't believe I never knew this. I always figured if you didn't have the money to pay, your kids didn't play. I'll have to ask dh if we have a similar program here.

This is the main reason my dh started his business. He'd been a umpire/referee for about 10 years as a side job and couldn't stand how terrible the other officials were b/c no held them accountable. The amount of business he's gained from unsatisfied park districts/travel teams is amazing.

His advice would be to shop around for other organizations willing to provide better quality officials. Sometimes going with the smaller, start up guy can be beneficial b/c he's trying to make a name for himself.

what a great idea, your husband sounds like a smart cookie!

Well:

There's not a lot left to cut. Next on the chopping block will have to be the frequency of dd's riding lessons. She's already working to pay for some of those lessons, but they won't let her work more and ride for free -- the stables are hurting, too, as riders have fallen away, horses have been sold (or in one case abandoned). Dd is an Aspie; riding is her only outside activity and it functions as, fine motor work, social skills practice, exercise, anti-anxiety activity and a job all rolled up in one. We'll do everything we can not to cut into it. But basically there's very little left to scrimp on.

:iagree:Riding really does provide an opportunity for learning all the things you mentioned. We had to take a year off from riding last year because DH salary was cut by 20% during the winter and early spring. We have been able to start up again, but with 2 kids who want to ride we can only afford lessons every other week. I'm thankful the instructor will go along. She did tell DS yesterday she would really like him to have more lessons. She wants him to go to some shows. So far we have managed to stay out of the show world. I don't think we could afford to do much showing. I told DS that at the present time we have to stick with every other week lessons. DH company is going into the slow season again and his pay may be cut. We may have to cut out riding again in the near future. But, I wonder if your DD's instructor would be willing to do every other week? Maybe that would make it easier for you financially?

Shannon

I can't afford to keep my kids in sports. I'm a single mother, who works minimally - just enough to pay for schooling, groceries, gas, and travel/field trips. The kids' dad helps with a lot (mortgage, car, insurance, etc.) but doesn't value sports as much as I do. He would probably help if I asked, but he's already contributing more than any court would ask him to, so I respect his position and refrain from asking he help pay for extracurriculars. We agreed early in our marriage that I'd pay for these things, and we've stuck with that even in our separation.

I do, however, have a large and generous family and wonderful friends who act as benefactors. They "scholarship" my kids in the form of monetary gifts for birthdays, holidays, and more. Our soccer league lets coach's kids play for free, so one of my brothers always volunteers his time to coach MY kid. Our baseball league runs $120/season for rec and $200/season for the travel team. My son participates in both, and the bulk of the registration is covered by his aunts and uncles (and sometimes mine) who make it their annual birthday gift to him in varying amounts. It helps to have dozens of aunts and uncles LOL. My son also rents himself out to neighbors to earn money for his gear, from walking dogs to hauling trash and whatever they'll pay him to do. He's done this since he was 6. He just has that kind of personality.

My daughter chose to opt out of a beloved extracurricular this year because she said she'd rather have toys to open for her birthday, than to have a season/semester of classes. She's a whole different breed of animal, sigh! I do require one musical and one athletic venture each season, and she accepts the family's generosity for those BUT she doesn't do anything above and beyond for any other extracurricular she might otherwise be interested in.

I find significant value in my kids' extracurriculars. It'd probably be one of the last things I'd cut from my budget. I hadn't thought about that aspect of the recession - interesting food for thought, good thread!

Sports here haven't seemed to suffer. The unemployment rate around here is about 12% and there are 500-600 kids involved in youth soccer in our town of 20,000. I don't know if they have scholarships or what. If we weren't homeschooling I might not be as adamant about having our kids involved in sports, but DS1 would go bonkers if he didn't have an outlet like that.