Menu

Our new writing plans for this week, oh Colleen, need your input too please :)

Nakia

As you all probably know, I have been inspired by SWB writing lectures. I am pumped! I have our week planned out, in detail, and I would love to post it here and get your reviews. I know it's long, but I would feel better if someone looked it over and reassured me (and if you have to tell me I totally missed the point, let me know that too).

Here is it:

Emma (2nd grade)

Day 1:

Copywork (from Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims--literature)

The Indian boy lay hidden in the tall grass.

Narration: Read from Story of the USA (nonfiction history, Pilgrim chapter, this is something we actually read last week, but I wanted to keep it simple to start with). I plan to read about three paragraphs and then have her narrate with a lot of guidance questions such as “Tell me two things you learned. Tell me something important from the story. Tell me something interesting you learned.” And I will write down her narrations. I will be very happy to get a one sentence narration from her.

Day 2:

Copywork: (from Squanto)

Squanto went down the path toward the shore.

Narration: I will read pg 1-3 from The Thanksgiving Story (literature) and then follow the same narration guidelines as above.

Day 3:

Copywork: (from Thanksgiving story--literature)

A pilgrim is a person who travels to a far-off place because of his religion.

Narration: I will read pg 4-5 from The Thanksgiving Story and, again, follow the guided narration as needed.

So this gives Emma three copywork assignments from literature selections, one narration from a history selection, and two narration selections from a literature selection. I do plan to add some selections from other literature other than what we have been using in SL but I want it to be simple this first week (or two or three!) Also I will add in some simple dictation as well, as she is ready.

Should I have her do both each day or split it up. The lectures recommended copywork/dictation 3x/wk and narration 3x/wk. We will also continue our R&S spelling lesson per week (about 10-15 min/day) , and she does Queen’s Language Lessons, which is very gentle grammar and picture study. I plan to continue that as well (probably 2-3x/wk). There is a bit of copy work in there, but if I do these planned copywork exercises, I can have her do the shorter ones from Queen’s on opposite days. This is a child who doesn’t mind the physical act of writing so that shouldn’t be a problem. Of course, we will keep this type of copywork/narration until I feel like she can successfully start dictation. When we get to that point, should I use the same types of sentences I listed above for dictation or keep them more simple?

Anna (5th grade) I plan to start very slowly with her (some copywork and short dictation) because she is my reluctant writer. You know the one SWB talks about in her lectures that cries about writing? Yes, there are girls like that, and I have one. :)

Day 1:

Copywork: (from Sign of the Beaver--literature)

It must be mighty pleasant, Matt thought to himself, to just hunt and fish all day long and not have any work to do.

Narration: (from Landmark History which is our history NF selection at this time) I will read pages 6-10 and then have her narrate back to me with guiding questions such as, “What is that passage about?” I will have to limit her to 3-4 sentences about most important things. I will write this down for her.

Day 2:

Matt sat pondering this strange idea. "Well, it seemed to work," he said finally. "At least the other fish came along."

Dictation: (from Sign of the Beaver)

Then he was aware of the Indians. They sat silently on either side of the fire, their painted faces ghastly in the flickering light.

Day 3:

Narration: (from Landmark again) I will read pg 12-14 about Squanto and the Puritans. Again, using guided narration, I will have her narrate the most important parts of the passage using 3-4 sentences and write it down for her.

Dictation: I will plan to dictate 1-2 sentences from her own narration. Gotta make sure I have her repeat it back to me before she stops and give help when needed. Don’t want her to write it down wrong! :)

Day 4:

Copywork: (from The Witch of Blackbird Pond-our next literature selection beginning this week)

She had made them both laugh, but underneath her nonchalance, Kit felt uneasy.

Dictation: (from The Witch of Blackbird Pond)

“It must have been hard to lose him,” said John gently. “I am so glad you have an aunt to come to.”

The makes copywork 3x/wk (from lit), narration 2x/wk (from history), and dictation 3x/wk (2 from lit and one from history). I know this seems really simple for a 5th grader, but I really think this where we need to start. I know copywork is meant for 1st-2nd graders, but it’s not something we have worked on much. I see us getting through these simple dictations and copywork selections pretty quickly. I hope. :) And then we can move into more frequent and complex narrations and get rid of the copywork. She will continue to do the R&S grammar selections, and then use the writing lessons as we advance in the basic skills. We use Sequential Spelling and Wordly Wise to round out our LA.

I would absolutely love to hear your reviews of this first week and see what you think. Is it too much, not enough, just right? Any suggestions? If read all this, you are my new bff. :)

Edited by Nakia

Well, I'm no expert, but it sounds good to me :D Have you seen the YouTube video of Susan doing dictation with her 13-year-old that was posted in another thread?

Otherwise, I think it all sounds rigorous but doable. My DD would have balked at three narrations a week, but she loathes them, so we just follow along with whatever WWE2 has us do--I think two? If your Emma can stand three, though, I think learning to do narration is SO valuable.

Keeping in mind that I do **not** teach Susan's way, I would suggest modifying your 5th grader's copywork. Copywork can be a powerful teaching tool if it is used with purpose.

I would recommend having her copy short paragraphs that follow standard paragraph structure. Use the copywork to help her understand topic sentence, supporting details, transition words, etc. Then it isn't simply copywork, but a teaching tool that is helping her learn about proper writing techniques.

HTH

As you all probably know, I have been inspired by SWB writing lectures. I am pumped! I have our week planned out, in detail, and I would love to post it here and get your reviews. I know it's long, but I would feel better if someone looked it over and reassured me (and if you have to tell me I totally missed the point, let me know that too).

Here is it:

Emma (2nd grade)

Day 1:

Copywork (from Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims--literature)

The Indian boy lay hidden in the tall grass.

Narration: Read from Story of the USA (nonfiction history, Pilgrim chapter, this is something we actually read last week, but I wanted to keep it simple to start with). I plan to read about three paragraphs and then have her narrate with a lot of guidance questions such as “Tell me two things you learned. Tell me something important from the story. Tell me something interesting you learned.†And I will write down her narrations. I will be very happy to get a one sentence narration from her.

Day 2:

Copywork: (from Squanto)

Squanto went down the path toward the shore.

Narration: I will read pg 1-3 from The Thanksgiving Story (literature) and then follow the same narration guidelines as above.

Day 3:

Copywork: (from Thanksgiving story--literature)

A pilgrim is a person who travels to a far-off place because of his religion.

Narration: I will read pg 4-5 from The Thanksgiving Story and, again, follow the guided narration as needed.

So this gives Emma three copywork assignments from literature selections, one narration from a history selection, and two narration selections from a literature selection. I do plan to add some selections from other literature other than what we have been using in SL but I want it to be simple this first week (or two or three!) Also I will add in some simple dictation as well, as she is ready.

Should I have her do both each day or split it up. The lectures recommended copywork/dictation 3x/wk and narration 3x/wk. We will also continue our R&S spelling lesson per week (about 10-15 min/day) , and she does Queen’s Language Lessons, which is very gentle grammar and picture study. I plan to continue that as well (probably 2-3x/wk). There is a bit of copy work in there, but if I do these planned copywork exercises, I can have her do the shorter ones from Queen’s on opposite days. This is a child who doesn’t mind the physical act of writing so that shouldn’t be a problem. Of course, we will keep this type of copywork/narration until I feel like she can successfully start dictation. When we get to that point, should I use the same types of sentences I listed above for dictation or keep them more simple?

Anna (5th grade) I plan to start very slowly with her (some copywork and short dictation) because she is my reluctant writer. You know the one SWB talks about in her lectures that cries about writing? Yes, there are girls like that, and I have one. :)

Day 1:

It must be might pleasant, Matt thought to himself, to just hunt and fish all day long and not have any work to do.

Narration: (from Landmark History which is our history NF selection at this time) I will read pages 6-10 and then have her narrate back to me with guiding questions such as, “What is that passage about?†I will have to limit her to 3-4 sentences about most important things. I will write this down for her.

Day 2:

It must be might pleasant, Matt thought to himself, to just hunt and fish all day long and not have any work to do.

Dictation: (from Sign of the Beaver)

Then he was aware of the Indians. They sat silently on either side of the fire, their painted faces ghastly in the flickering light.

Day 3:

Narration: (from Landmark again) I will read pg 12-14 about Squanto and the Puritans. Again, using guided narration, I will have her narrate the most important parts of the passage using 3-4 sentences and write it down for her.

Dictation: I will plan to dictate 1-2 sentences from her own narration. Gotta make sure I have her repeat it back to me before she stops and give help when needed. Don’t want her to write it down wrong! :)

Day 4:

Copywork: (from The Witch of Blackbird Pond-our next literature selection beginning this week)

She had made them both laugh, but underneath her nonchalance, Kit felt uneasy.

Dictation: (from The Witch of Blackbird Pond)

“It must have been hard to lose him,†said John gently. “I am so glad you have an aunt to come to.â€

The makes copywork 3x/wk (from lit), narration 2x/wk (from history), and dictation 3x/wk (2 from lit and one from history). I know this seems really simple for a 5th grader, but I really think this where we need to start. I know copywork is meant for 1st-2nd graders, but it’s not something we have worked on much. I see us getting through these simple dictations and copywork selections pretty quickly. I hope. :) And then we can move into more frequent and complex narrations and get rid of the copywork. She will continue to do the R&S grammar selections, and then use the writing lessons as we advance in the basic skills. We use Sequential Spelling and Wordly Wise to round out our LA.

I would absolutely love to hear your reviews of this first week and see what you think. Is it too much, not enough, just right? Any suggestions? If read all this, you are my new bff. :)

It looks good to me. The only thing I might suggest is that if Anna has difficulty with the dictation, you might want to consider using the previous day's copywork as the dictation sentence.

Guest aquiverfull
Keeping in mind that I do **not** teach Susan's way, I would suggest modifying your 5th grader's copywork. Copywork can be a powerful teaching tool if it is used with purpose.

I would recommend having her copy short paragraphs that follow standard paragraph structure. Use the copywork to help her understand topic sentence, supporting details, transition words, etc. Then it isn't simply copywork, but a teaching tool that is helping her learn about proper writing techniques.

HTH

:iagree:I have a very reluctant writer (11 yr old dd-6th grade). I'm using Paths of Exploration which has her copying whole paragraphs (she's doing the work recommended for 5th grade) and she is doing fine with it. I know a lot of times, I think my daughter is not capable of doing something and I'll expect less of her. I know that I would have been reluctant to have her start copywork doing paragraphs, but I'm so glad I followed the recommendations in the curriculum we are using because it turned out she was well capable of doing it. I suggest trying paragraphs and shortening it if it becomes too much of a problem.

Well, I am not an expert or anything, but it looks good to me. :D

Thanks!

Well, I'm no expert, but it sounds good to me :D Have you seen the YouTube video of Susan doing dictation with her 13-year-old that was posted in another thread?

Otherwise, I think it all sounds rigorous but doable. My DD would have balked at three narrations a week, but she loathes them, so we just follow along with whatever WWE2 has us do--I think two? If your Emma can stand three, though, I think learning to do narration is SO valuable.

No, I haven't see the youtube videos. I didn't even know they existed. I will have to check those out today. Maybe I need to change one of the narrations to a simple dictation. Thanks!

HTH

Thank you! I just want to start slow with her this first week or two because she detests writing. After a couple of weeks, I will up the copywork for sure.

One thing I was wondering is when do we transition from copywork to only dictation? Is copywork something you eventually get rid of in elementary grades?

It looks good to me. The only thing I might suggest is that if Anna has difficulty with the dictation, you might want to consider using the previous day's copywork as the dictation sentence.

Oh thanks! We'll see how it goes today. I might change things every single day. LOL!

:iagree:I have a very reluctant writer (11 yr old dd-6th grade). I'm using Paths of Exploration which has her copying whole paragraphs (she's doing the work recommended for 5th grade) and she is doing fine with it. I know a lot of times, I think my daughter is not capable of doing something and I'll expect less of her. I know that I would have been reluctant to have her start copywork doing paragraphs, but I'm so glad I followed the recommendations in the curriculum we are using because it turned out she was well capable of doing it. I suggest trying paragraphs and shortening it if it becomes too much of a problem.

Thank you. I really think I need to start slow with Anna. She detests writing. I want to go gentle on her the first few weeks. ;) I think we will be able to move at a quicker pace once we all get used to this new way of doing things.

Guest aquiverfull
Oh thanks! We'll see how it goes today. I might change things every single day. LOL!

Thank you. I really think I need to start slow with Anna. She detests writing. I want to go gentle on her the first few weeks. ;) I think we will be able to move at a quicker pace once we all get used to this new way of doing things.

Oh I understand completely. You know your child best. I hope things work out great for you and your dd becomes less reluctant with the writing. :)

Like 8FillTheHeart, I would suggest a purpose for the copywork and narration. Especially with your 5th grader, use the copywork as a teaching tool. Pick passages that highlight a grammar or spelling rule, etc., and point it out to her. SWB does this in WWE. Also, help your reluctant writer shape her narration; i.e. topic sentence and support, with the non-fiction work. SWB's directions for outlining help with this. She won't write a sentence outline, but since that is the next step after oral and written narratives, you will be preparing the way.

Edited by 1Togo

I am using SWB's ideas for writing and love the lectures, but like 8FilltheHeart, I would suggest a purpose for the copywork and narration. Especially with your 5th grader, use the copywork as a teaching tool. Pick passages that highlight a grammar or spelling rule, etc., and point it out to her. SWB does this in WWE. Also, help your reluctant writer shape her narration; i.e. topic sentence and support, with the non-fiction work. SWB's directions for outlining help with this. She won't write a sentence outline, but since that is the next step after oral and written narratives, you will be preparing the way.

Thank you. I do plan to use this week, as a test of sorts, to determine where each girl is in terms of writing. That's why I am keeping it simple. I will definitely advance as fast they are able until the reach we point where we are comfortable, and it is challenging. It might be challenging right now. We've not done much writing, so I am having to take it slow.

I am planning to purchase The WWE textbook to give me more directions.

Thanks again!

One thing I was wondering is when do we transition from copywork to only dictation? Is copywork something you eventually get rid of in elementary grades?

This may have already been answered, but I will answer it anyway.:D

In WWE (between my 2 dd we have done levels 1-3 and are working on 4 with the oldest) we are I believe that copywork ends by the end of level 2, and in level 3 there is just dictation and narration and they start with original sentences from narration in level 4.

Narration: Read from Story of the USA (nonfiction history, Pilgrim chapter, this is something we actually read last week, but I wanted to keep it simple to start with). I plan to read about three paragraphs and then have her narrate with a lot of guidance questions such as “Tell me two things you learned. Tell me something important from the story. Tell me something interesting you learned.†And I will write down her narrations. I will be very happy to get a one sentence narration from her.

Your plan sounds great! The only suggestion I have is the way you do the narrations. I think you should ask her more specific questions. It's often times hard for a 2nd grader to judge what is the most important part of a passage. I don't know exactly what you are reading, but just to give an example you might ask, "Where did the Pilgrims go after they left England?" and "How did they get there?"

SWB seems to first break down the passage by asking questions about specific details, then asks the child to summarize some of the facts that are now in their head from your first series of questions. I hope that makes sense, I have a 2 year old whining for my attention at the moment. ;)

Writing went great this am!!

This may have already been answered, but I will answer it anyway.:D

In WWE (between my 2 dd we have done levels 1-3 and are working on 4 with the oldest) we are I believe that copywork ends by the end of level 2, and in level 3 there is just dictation and narration and they start with original sentences from narration in level 4.

Thank you! I am hoping we go pretty fast through the copywork practice. She did great with it this morning!

Your plan sounds great! The only suggestion I have is the way you do the narrations. I think you should ask her more specific questions. It's often times hard for a 2nd grader to judge what is the most important part of a passage. I don't know exactly what you are reading, but just to give an example you might ask, "Where did the Pilgrims go after they left England?" and "How did they get there?"

SWB seems to first break down the passage by asking questions about specific details, then asks the child to summarize some of the facts that are now in their head from your first series of questions. I hope that makes sense, I have a 2 year old whining for my attention at the moment. ;)

Thank you! I actually found that out this morning. I had to really dig for her to do the narrations and ask a lot of questions. But she did well. Her narration was "The ship was very important to take the Pilgrims to other places. They celebrated the first Thanksgiving." I am pretty darn happy with that!

If you have the funds for the WWE workbooks, they are worth it. No planning, and using them gave me the complete picture of SWB's dictation/narration goals.

I would love to, but we just can't do it right now. I wouldn't even know which ones to buy. Plus, I really like the idea that SWB presented in her lectures about integrating the writing lessons into their literature, history, and science. As I looked at the WWE workbooks at B&N this weekend, I noticed that we own most of the books she picks passages from, so I just have to figure out which ones to pick. I did find the WWE instructor's guide for sale here, so I am going to get that for some more guidance.

I am pretty sure we will be caught up to where they need to be by the end of the year, and my 5th grader will be up to the level she needs to be. And I think I will give up one of the narrations for copywork for my 2nd grader for this week. Three narrations to start with might too much, like Melissa suggested.

Looks good!

I suggest that you choose passages for copywork that illustrate whatever the children are learning in grammar. If there is nothing exactly applicable, try to vary the punctuation at least--quotes one day, lists separated by commas another, apositives or phrases set apart by a pair of commas another day, and maybe a semi-colon or colon on another day. That way the children are forced to look at those usages and pay attention to them, and may start to use them in their own writing. Another helpful guideline for choosing copywork is to try to include examples of something that the child is having difficulty with, such as proper choice of homonyns, proper use of apostrophies, commonly misspelled words, or the tricky first person pronouns.

Writing went great this am!!

She did great with it this morning!

But she did well.

I did find the WWE instructor's guide for sale here, so I am going to get that for some more guidance.

I am pretty sure we will be caught up to where they need to be by the end of the year, and my 5th grader will be up to the level she needs to be.

:hurray::hurray: to everything!

Nakia,

I just wanted to give you virtual high five. :001_smile: It sounds as though you are doing a fabulous job of having a goal, but meeting your girls where they are and helping them reach that goal for writing. Well done.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Looks good!

I suggest that you choose passages for copywork that illustrate whatever the children are learning in grammar. If there is nothing exactly applicable, try to vary the punctuation at least--quotes one day, lists separated by commas another, apositives or phrases set apart by a pair of commas another day, and maybe a semi-colon or colon on another day. That way the children are forced to look at those usages and pay attention to them, and may start to use them in their own writing. Another helpful guideline for choosing copywork is to try to include examples of something that the child is having difficulty with, such as proper choice of homonyns, proper use of apostrophies, commonly misspelled words, or the tricky first person pronouns.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I do need to work on finding more variety in our copywork. Right now, this week, I am really trying to make it easy on me and them. LOL!

Nakia,

I just wanted to give you virtual high five. :001_smile: It sounds as though you are doing a fabulous job of having a goal, but meeting your girls where they are and helping them reach that goal for writing. Well done.

:hurray::hurray: to everything!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Thank you both so very much!! I feel a great relief that I actually got something down on paper. Now I am going to sit down and tweak it a little based on some suggestions here. And as soon as I get my WWE teacher's text, I will really dig in!

Thanks again!!